• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alon,

two things:

1st - don´t forget to make a small brige from the +5V line Analog to the +5V line Digital, otherwise the 74HC02 - NL17SZ02 adapter pcb has no power!

2nd - did you cancel the TB2 bridge on the Tube-I-zator? That´s the disused HV-Line if you use the HV-Shunt Reg. I couldn´t see it correctly on the photo.

I will post my Star-Grounding scheme later to prevent ground loops ;)

Thanks Oliver, i realise that now...will rewire +5v(digital) as you have done.
TB2 on Tube-i-zator board has been cancelled. Sorry about the quality of the photo, it was taken at night and with a phone camera!

Have you wired up your Twisted Pair i2s board yet? Would be good to see how you did it :)

Thanks

Alon

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Star Grounding Scheme

Here is my Star Grounding Scheme of the complete project

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Malka07 said:
Have you wired up your Twisted Pair i2s board yet? Would be good to see how you did it

I want to but haven´t yet. This week goes to my DCB1 Blue project. I will try it when the DCB1 is ready. :eek:

Hi Lucas,

with the big capacitor value of the PSU, i followed a recommendation of Are Waagbø who tested a Borbely Audio Shunt in the audioXpress (February 2008).

I'm sure it does make sense and is recommended, Oliver. I just have never seen anything like that many caps being used in a power supply before, so it seems a little bit over the top. I realise I will have 10x 2200uF per rail now, so not too far off anyway...

I guess, the closer you can get to the smoothness of a battery, the better, but there are limits to how effective more and more caps will be.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Lucas,

i hope you don´t think i had criticized your statement! :eek:

Are used a battery supply before and wrote this in the same article:

I built another very soon afterwards and was so impressed that I threw away my battery supply
(eight Panasonic HV12-07 and 40,000μF capacitors, and the charging equipment).
With all respect to the Panasonics, they tended to be flat and dull compared to my new shunts.

Are Waagbø - audioXpress February 2008

Interesting statement.

:cheers:

No, you just told me why you'd done it that way, which is good, because now I understand and realise why - considering the overall cost of the project, it's nothing to get the power supply right, and in some ways, it's as important as the chip itself. You're aiming for a "reference" DAC after all. :)

OK, so I guess it's all more confirmation we're onto a good thing!

Has anybody else that you know of completed their projekt yet? I'd love to hear what Lukas Fikus makes of this project, as he is probably the main source of inspiration for this sort of thing - in fact, it's what he has been saying should be done ages ago.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I forgot that Thomo had his DAC running! :p

Hi guys, just thought I'd post on my progress so far. My setup is much like Ian's, I'm running i2s (oversampled) out of the SAA7220 of my highly modded Marantz CD94 into the dac.

The dac itself is running on super-reg type regs until I get the shunt-regs sorted, these are also sharing two of the half-built psu boards running from a 50va tx, lol (I ran out of caps). Output is a Pass D1 running from a large toroid that I nicked out of my old Arcam Alpha 5 Amp with Mundorf Silver/Oil dc blocking caps on the output. When finished every voltage rail will have its own tx winding + psu etc.

To say I'm shocked at what is coming out is a gross understatement. I'm lost for words. There is a staggering amount of detail and dynamics are breath-taking.

So a big thanks from me to Oliver for producing the boards and also to EC for his work on that monster 1541 thread, and anyone else who has contributed to make this possible.

Regards, Lee :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oliver,

Regarding the power to the Teralink X2, I see from your photos that you are using the +5V supply to the Digital part of the TDA board, linked through to the Teralink X2. It says on the Teralink 8-12V DC. What voltage do you run the Digital part of the board and the X2 at please?

Lucas,

at the moment i use a separate +5V shunt reg. for the X2.
I removed the onboard LT1084 and set the shunt reg. to 5V.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

OK. Thanks. Initially at least, and perhaps permanently, I will be sharing the additional +5v DIGITAL line between the Teralink X2, which forms a pretty significant part of the whole circuit, and the 74HC02, which can be thought of as a part of that same circuit.

So, I will also remove this LT1084 and run the Teralink at 5vDC. Do you think there would be any advantage in replacing the LT1084 with a TL431A shunt node, and connecting power to the normal power port? Perhaps it over-complicates things....

Last edited:
That doesn't count. It's oversampling, for starters. :D

It sounds like he could have done everything he's done without new boards by modding a TDA1541A CD player. :rolleyes:

Steady on there, LOL!

You wouldn't say that if you saw it, it's a two box machine now.

Besides, I like the oversampling, it suits my system and tastes. It took a dedicated PSU for the digital filter chip with a superb low-noise regulator to really make it sing though.

I am struggling to get the DEM reclocking to sync up sometimes though. I get masses of distortion which usually goes away within a few seconds, but sometimes it just won't lock :scratch1:

Lee.

Edit: Some nice work going on here guys.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.