• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I too had an incorrect image message after update, but works OK on v1.19.

:rolleyes:

When you got the Incorrect Image message after typing ‘update’ what did you do?

If you go into your uManager now what does the uManager prompt say?

Mine says: ‘dam1021 uManager Rev 1.05 20160222 FPGA Rev 1.19 Press ? for help.’

And won’t output sound, despite the lock LED going solid when music is played.

Thanks for your help.

When you got the Incorrect Image message after typing ‘update’ what did you do?

If you go into your uManager now what does the uManager prompt say?

Mine says: ‘dam1021 uManager Rev 1.05 20160222 FPGA Rev 1.19 Press ? for help.’

And won’t output sound, despite the lock LED going solid when music is played.

Thanks for your help.

Did you remember the "update" command after "download" ?

When downloading a complete image with new firmware, the "update" command is needed to reprogram the uC.

Try the "update" again, If that don't work, try "download" and "update" again. Remember to power cycle after "update".

Have done that many times over past few days. I can install the older full 1.06 firmware and I get sound but even with that, when I type update I get Incorrect Image. And after power cycling that says uC rev is 1.05.

I’ve tried disconnecting everything from J3 (was controlling this 1021 with a 328P-based uC) with no success.

I’ve tried every permutation I can think of with the available downloads from your site. Refuses to update so the same Rev 1.05 appears despite the FPGA Rev changing.

Have done that many times over past few days. I can install the older full 1.06 firmware and I get sound but even with that, when I type update I get Incorrect Image. And after power cycling that says uC rev is 1.05.

I’ve tried disconnecting everything from J3 (was controlling this 1021 with a 328P-based uC) with no success.

I’ve tried every permutation I can think of with the available downloads from your site. Refuses to update so the same Rev 1.05 appears despite the FPGA Rev changing.

Hmm, could be problem with the file you have, the uC firmware is last in it.... Try downloading the file with a different browser, ensure the file length is 648,192 bytes. And double check the serial port settings, have to be 115200,8,n,1 and no handshaking. Try XMODEM protocol (not the XMODEM 1K).

Last edited:
Hmm, could be problem with the file you have, the uC firmware is last in it.... Try downloading the file with a different browser, ensure the file length is 648,192 bytes. And double check the serial port settings, have to be 115200,8,n,1 and no handshaking. Try XMODEM protocol (not the XMODEM 1K).

No joy, I’m afraid. Downloaded file with Edge and no luck. Then downloaded it with Chrome on a different laptop and tried that - still getting Incorrect Image.

File length from first try has always been 648,192 bytes.

No joy with the Xmodem either.

Last edited:
Sœren> Have you considered releasing a really stripped down version of your dac boards?
Only keep the bare minimum, no digital gadgetry, filtering or cool features. FIFO, reclock, D/A and you’re done. (Raw output)

Personally I’d love to see this as a RPi Hat, but this would be small enough for any generic board.

Last edited:
Hi,
for verifying, you can add a MD5 checksum on the download page?!

My update was successfully on the first try.

Sœren> Have you considered releasing a really stripped down version of your dac boards?
Only keep the bare minimum, no digital gadgetry, filtering or cool features. FIFO, reclock, D/A and you’re done. (Raw output)

Personally I’d love to see this as a RPi Hat, but this would be small enough for any generic board.

That would be the dam1121.... I don't know what you call "digital gadgetry", but remember as the FPGA is already there, it's free to use....

Ok, I never perceived it such but I can see why you would view it that way.
I guess “idiot proof” module might have been a better description?
I remember reading the available documentation for the 1121 some time ago. My memory is shot but for some reason I got the impression that installing, updating and configuring it felt “difficult“. I probably got the wrong impression and maybe I should try reading the documentation again?
It seems like exactly what I was asking for except for an easy step by step setup guide. :)
It’s almost funny. I don’t mind digital filters or anything computer related, but since my memory is so damaged I depend on manuals as reference. I need an indexed reference manual for almost everything. It is a clinical handicap/disability...
As long as I can look something up, I can do anything. Lol

No joy, I’m afraid. Downloaded file with Edge and no luck. Then downloaded it with Chrome on a different laptop and tried that - still getting Incorrect Image.

File length from first try has always been 648,192 bytes.

No joy with the Xmodem either.
Did you find a solution with that problem? I experience the same issue... I am stuck with 1.05 and no sound after update... no joy also...

Last edited:
Did you find a solution with that problem? I experience the same issue... I am stuck with 1.05 and no sound after update... no joy also...

Not yet. Still trying but I’m sure Søren is having a look to see if there’s a reason for it in the firmware. Especially now that it’s not just a one-off. There may be more boards out there with the same issue - and he did say the upgrade was a beta.

Which Rev is your 1021?

Hi, my 3.3v regulator actually is Lm1117 LDO, well this little device heats a lot, even with small heatsink the tem is very high, I have been thinking replace this Ldo with other regulator, but with minor effort, what do you recommend?

If the 3.3v LDO is getting very hot then your supply voltage is too high. It being a linear regulator will waste excess power as heat. I recall the stock LDO being about 75C with a +15V supply voltage.

It is a rev3 board. After a few more trys I still get the incorrect image message, but umanager says 1.19. Still no sound though. Frustrating, since filter uploads went flawless in the past with the same setup.

Can you check the md5sum of the image? I was able to update both my boards without hassle.

ae748571f4e9a00f8b7c7319b358a542 1021full_119.skr