• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Great, people here would certainly need a great discret buffer with a "true" powerstage instead local ceramic decoupling like Joachim Gherard or Patrick EUVL can design !

This is clever when a design is versatile and offers many options....it is not to change more, but the "analog" stage have been always a critical things, no ?

Well if also the clock can be hacked by an another one... could be really fun !

I re read the thrread, so : "only" (seems logical) I2S....WaveIO my preciousssssss (wait mine :) ). So maybe with U11 chip on the WaveIO and the Fifo inside the Soekris Board, WaveIO is also a good option for people having a spidf (cd player, SB Duet...)

Last edited:
Oups:eek:, saw there is a direct SE output at 1.4 V... quite enough to avoid a buffer, and also the PS of the balanced buffer output can be hacked by an external if my undersntanding is correct ! And also SPIDF/AES, etc input possibilities.... WOW!

So just missing a reclocking possibilitie for a sota best Phase Noise XO than the 'little' Silabs ! :censored::h_ache: (Is Laptech located in USA ?)

For lazy people like me who saw the just the beginning of the thread and re jumped on the train after, I found the review thread maid by HIFIDUINO very clear.... https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/r2r-for-the-rest-of-us/
cheers and sorry for the twwo cents questions above...(pardon my lazyness)

Hello Jorgen,

Believe also it worths the "money risk" as it is versatil with input/output and it can match your active crossover goals : with 3 boards you can have your treble/medium/bass with embeded croosover and personal EQ !

I'm hurry to compare it with your AD1862 which is certainly the best R2R chip ever maid (TDA 1541 is not exactly R2R ???), even better with its 20 bits than the PCM 1704 with its 23-24 bits (dryer sound for many !).

Ihmo with OEM chips the best DACchips are TDA1541/AD1862 : first, PCM63 (second, near the ad1862, but not exactly the same, its softer in upermid-treble). Third : pcm1704, AD1865,tda1545A,tda1543....PCM1702...

The embeded jitter countermeasures than Soekris choosed are very welcome, and if little default exist they could be corrected in second batch (NDK XO, More expensive Laptech XO; reclocking after the FGPA if one can hear the difference, etc...).

I like also the idea than the manufacturing job was maid by a US factory known by Soekris : controlled development from scratch paper to factory with cost control and good purchasing/sourcing! Give me your managing project book please !

PS: forget a question to Andrea member : Hello Andrea, if you read it : could it be possible according to you to plug your futur Laptecg clock on the Soekris board instead the Silabs embeded XO ? If yes I will choose the Laptech with the frequency needed, if not will use it with the TDA1541 projects !

Last edited:
Hello Andrea, if you read it : could it be possible according to you to plug your futur Laptecg clock on the Soekris board instead the Silabs embeded XO ? If yes I will choose the Laptech with the frequency needed, if not will use it with the TDA1541 projects !

Eldam, I'm afraid the clock on the Soekris-board is software-controlled. A pure hardware clock like Andrea's won't be easy to incorporate in this design ..

Hello esgigt,

Mince, what a pity,

So It will be interresting, even if apple&orange can not be similar : I will hear a ad1862 DAC or a TDA1541 with Andrea's clock and Ian's PCM board (unluckily without FIFO...) with the Soekris's...side by side.

I will have a max of pleasure to compare on one side a top phase clock design vs a top unjittered design... which is the same if my understanding is correct, so to rephrase it : a design with few jitter comming from the chips vs a few jittered clock in the ears range with a classic but SOTA crystal & oem dac chip off the shelf !

2014 was a great year in DIY DAC : Subbu V3, Distinction-1541, AYA II 2014, Soekris's discrete R2R ! Sorry to be off topic : but thanks to you all !:)

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Eldam, looking forward to hear from that comparison. I think we should not panic - the Silabs is not all bad ;) I listen to it every day. So for the record I don't believe its a bad clock in any way - just that I have a feeling there is yet one little level of performance to squeeze out with a better timing source.

//

To Soekris or anyone who knows the answer. Again , sorry if already asked.
In case I am not going to use DAC’s internal analog output stage , is it possible to power the rest of DAC’s circuit with just one single secondary winding of the transformer, or I still need two secondarys.

Is there anything to control?

only our greediness :)

Guys, why dont You give a break to Soekris? In this thread was offered WORKING dac. I look at it , evaluated, emailed, preordered and waiting impatiently. If you are not comfortabile with offered dac, You can try make your own. If you are too lazy for this, there is many many OTHER dac, with remote controls, reclockings options , cases waiting to be purchuased.

Sincerely- preordered customer, (which wants his dac until next 2015 Christmas. If you start bother Soekris with all this aditional stuff its likely we will receive modified dac in 2017.. :) )

Last edited:
PS: forget a question to Andrea member : Hello Andrea, if you read it : could it be possible according to you to plug your futur Laptecg clock on the Soekris board instead the Silabs embeded XO ? If yes I will choose the Laptech with the frequency needed, if not will use it with the TDA1541 projects !

Eldam,

my clock board is a very normal clock, nothing of special, but I think this DAC cannot use any external clock.

This is a commercial design, so every choice has done by the manufacturer.
This is not an open project, or a diy project.
And no one would ask Naim Audio, Linn, Wadia and so on, to update their product according to its own needs.
Finally, everyone is free to buy or not this DAC.

On the other side everyone has the right to debate the projectual choices, as everyone is free to debate the projectual choices of Naim, Linn, Wadia, AMR and so on.

So, just for debate, the SiLabs device IS NOT A LOW JITTER DEVICE, its datasheet clearly shows that.
IMHO, it would be much better using a pair of really low jitter oscillators, like Ian's FIFO buffer, and no frequency tracking/PLL.
Really low jitter oscillators will perform at least 30 dB better than the SI514.

BTW, this is a nice project...
but it could be a great project...
... really low jitter oscillator
... single ladder
... single ladder supply rail
... 0.001% ladder resistors
... maybe, better thinking to a system rather than a dac, with an extremely precise oscillator close to the dac logic, and a slaved SD card source, using simply the interrupt function provided by a uC.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi again Sören, any update as to when we can expect production of the dac? I'm certain that there are quite a few of us who are anxiously awaiting the release!

Last word was that the boards and parts were all at the fab shop. I don't have a clue how long it takes after that, and I am sure there is some quality control as it starts up.

You will know when its ready, when Soren makes the announcement and/or sends an email/PM that you can use to order from. He has a list of PMs who get first go at the boards, which will sell at his US and European websites.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A question of perspective of course. Tried the big daddy Si570 when Ian offered it as an upgrade to the dual oscillator board. Could not stand it even for a day - the Crysteks went back promptly.

I have a pair of NDKs coming this way and an Ian dual clock board waiting here to replace a Si570 board. Will apparently be interesting.

Still, my DAC played on the same or better level than an Auralic DAC.

//