• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Super Regulator and Salas Shunt Regulator have Low impedance variation with current variation, but not possible 4 v. out.

8 vol is possible. I can bootstrapping OP amp. +8 vol. to make floating mass. I simulate with AD797. But need OP Amp that can work to +4 -4 vol. And 0 dB stable.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SALAS.jpg
    SALAS.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,252
Listening test - different mods

Hi,

Me and a fried just listened and compared our DACs in different status of modifications. The difference between the 2 dacs are the power supplies.

Mods to both dacs: Factory mod 0.1 + 0.1R, 16 cap mod 16x680/10, Output capacitor changed to film types, Opamps removed, Party-Pak slow filter.

Dac 1: DC supply on J1 +-12VDC, Simple unregulated DC supply.
Dac 2: 6.5V DC on J1, 5V regs removed, +- 5VDC supplied on caps after 5V regs. Placid shut regulator is used for the 6.5V and a JSR-06 super regulator for the +-5V.

To sum it up - not much difference! Both sounded great.

If we get into bearly audible (or imagined) differences: Dac 2 - slightly sweeter and a bit more relaxed; Dac 1 - a bit brighter.

Ulf

Hi,

Me and a fried just listened and compared our DACs in different status of modifications. The difference between the 2 dacs are the power supplies.

Mods to both dacs: Factory mod 0.1 + 0.1R, 16 cap mod 16x680/10, Output capacitor changed to film types, Opamps removed, Party-Pak slow filter.

Dac 1: DC supply on J1 +-12VDC, Simple unregulated DC supply.
Dac 2: 6.5V DC on J1, 5V regs removed, +- 5VDC supplied on caps after 5V regs. Placid shut regulator is used for the 6.5V and a JSR-06 super regulator for the +-5V.

To sum it up - not much difference! Both sounded great.

If we get into bearly audible (or imagined) differences: Dac 2 - slightly sweeter and a bit more relaxed; Dac 1 - a bit brighter.

Ulf

Interesting.

Since +/-5 is only used by the opamps to generate +/-4, this appears to indicate the quality of 5v to the opamps is not that important.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If I want to use my own, discrete buffer (DCB1) for the raw output, what value of input impedance should I be aiming for? The opamp buffer/unbal-bal stage that's on the board doesn't seem to have any resistive loading according to the schematic from https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/01/30/building-soekris-r-2r-dac/

I did some more digging and found the answer myself, thought I'd share my findings:

According to page 8 of 14 from the manual at Soekris Engineering, Inc. | How to buy the output impedance of the raw, unbuffered output is 625 Ohm. So anything with an input impedance upwards from 10k should do fine (1:20 ratio would give 12k5).

Currently running 1R series resistors on my v1 board (all I have at the moment) along with 499R Rc/51R Rp with 1200uF/0.01ESR. Definitely no more woolly bass here like there was with the 0R series and 16 cap mod.

I'm am curious how much difference between the 1R/0.1R series resistors make if one is interested in running a simulation for me. I've also replaced all the shift register bypass caps with 4.7uF X5R along with 47uF X5R vref ceramics. It appears Soren settled on 0.1R for production but I still see people running 0.01R as well.

Dual mono works great, I had to use a pair of FTDI USB 3.3V TTL adaptors for each dam board but that was simple as I already use a PCB based USB header hub to integrate both Amanero and my existing serial converter to a single USB input anyway.

Sound quality seems better, but this could be more to do with implementing the new 1500uF 12mohm/vref 50R Rp resistor mods on the V2 boards. I do believe the nc400 modules perform better using a true balanced source than they do with an unbalanced to XLR cable as well. It's definitely a win.

There is no clicks or pops to speak of. The poweroff plop is totally gone with V2 boards (more like a tiny tiny barely audible flick), cheers to Soren for fixing that, even if it did require hardware to implement correctly. I have the dac modules connected straight to the amp and utilize the dam1021 volume control via serial adaptors.

To control both dac's in parallel I just run the dam1021.py python script via a shell wrapper that executes for each dac channel.

$ dam1021 -l 60
L:INFO:dam1021:Current volume level set to -60
R:INFO:dam1021:Current volume level set to -60

Will post pics later if anyone is interested.

Last edited: