• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I am interested in purchasing this project but have one concern. The single ended output of 1.4V is only 70% of the industry norm of 2V. Does it come across as a 'quiet' DAC with limited dynamics?

Do not be concerned.
Wheter or not you need the full 2V output depends on the gain configuration of your amplifiers and the speaker efficiency. Do you usually use a 2V output source and still crank the pot all the way up?

@hifiberry_dac.c file, line31, you can see below codes:
static int snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac_hw_params(struct snd_pcm_substream *substream,
struct snd_pcm_hw_params *params)
{
struct snd_soc_pcm_runtime *rtd = substream->private_data;
struct snd_soc_dai *cpu_dai = rtd->cpu_dai;

unsigned int sample_bits =
snd_pcm_format_physical_width(params_format(params));

return snd_soc_dai_set_bclk_ratio(cpu_dai, sample_bits * 2);
}

That's why the rpi-dac module is more suitable here [1]. Pair it with the pcm1794a codec and then there is no need to recompile anything or mangling with audio stream in userspace.

[1] https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-4.1.y/sound/soc/bcm/rpi-dac.c#L37

Last edited:
What about the sound of this DAC

first: please excuse my poor english...

Is there anybody who can tell me about the sound quality of this DAC compared to a Buffalo, Mambo or any commercial DAC?

I am very interested in the Soekris, and there are lots of technical descriptions and documents about it. But there is no description about that what i need to make a decision: What comes out of this device?

Regards,
Georg

first: please excuse my poor english...

Is there anybody who can tell me about the sound quality of this DAC compared to a Buffalo, Mambo or any commercial DAC?

I am very interested in the Soekris, and there are lots of technical descriptions and documents about it. But there is no description about that what i need to make a decision: What comes out of this device?

Regards,
Georg

So I tried to connect my Amanero last night, but no go :(

Could not get signal lock, or any output from the dac.

I've been using this Amanero with another dac, and it works fine there, and the PC was talking to the Amenero ok, so not sure what's wrong.

I connected I2S data, bit clock and lr clock (frame sync), iso ground and 3.3V per the diagrams (used hifiduino blog for connection info), and double and triple checked all connections.

I had updated to latest firmware before starting.

Is there any tricks to getting an Amanero to work with this dac?

Randy

Post your patch at alsa-devel mailing list to get it scrutinized.

My problems is how to improve sound quality .About alsa driver, all is in kernel docs,it's simple & clear; and I get 384KHz i2s as bcm2835 datasheet.There is no problem in I2S output signal for now.I can't find anything else left for ALSA-dev to do,the next will be how to figure out the problem of sound listening,I thinks so.

@ mogel

Can you share your patch so we can use it too?thank you

I'm glad to share the codes:

1.follow raspberrypi office kernel buding steps, download load kernel source & building tools:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/linux/kernel/building.md

2.download my modified files from cloud disk,
my work was based on rpi-4.2.y branch, it should work on default branch(rpi-4.1.y)
link: http://pan.baidu.com/s/1dD2oe9V password: tadn

3.merge the differences from my files to the same files under same dir

4.build & install to sd card

5.add below line to /boot/config. txt on SD card, reboot & enjoy the music
dtparam=i2s=on
dtoverlay=dam1021-dac

Regards!

I have lock, and music, reloaded 0.99, and now it works great.

Not sure what happened. I had loaded .99 and then a filter before I connected the Amanero and couldn't get lock. This time, I just loaded .99 and left the default filter in, and it locks fine.

Randy

I have the same issue when i have some older filters for v0.9 loaded.either you reload the firmware or just the right filter would be fine. Enjoy the music. :)

All ready, except long awaited DSD FW

Attachments

• Case_fronts.jpg
    Case_fronts.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 749
  • Case_backs.jpg
    Case_backs.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 732
  • Case_1s.jpg
    Case_1s.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 729
  • Case_Top.jpg