• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

The Si8620 isolators used in dam1021 should work with 5V supplies. But keep in mind that all of the isolated lines will then run at 5V levels. If you have a 3.3V serial port connected, it might get destroyed.

As far as I can tell from WaveIO documentation, it also uses isolators on I2S outputs. So the outputs will be at the level of your isolator power supply. I would go with 3.3V to keep dam1021 standard levels.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Out of the box solid prevention of blops at the output. If it's not possible with firmware implement additional hardware. Most of us got really valuable and beloved equipment. I'm not sure with the second one. Soekris has stated often that the power supply of the board is completely optimised for the DAC and any change is dangerous for the stability of the system. On the other side a lot of experiments have been done in this area with good results. Thus simple access to tweaks in this area should possible (e.g. using a power supply after the rectifiers instead of an transformer or additional through holes for capacitors). Last but not least is a suggestion in general and possibly not applicable for this project: Realize the important and critical parts in SMD and the remaining (mostly peripheral) parts through hole. Soekris thanks again for the fantastic work and keep your best filter designer alive :cool:

Thanks for your answer and your hint that then all ports ...
My WaveIO isolator is powered with 5V, mmh i think i had to build one of my Salas Boards at 3.3V for both boards.
Did you have a timeframe for your boards?

Use the one on the WAVE IO or the one on DAM. Do not use both. One is plenty. Some think even one is too many ...

I use those funny little connectors on the WAVE IO to bypass the isolator. HIROSE is the manuacturer of the connector's name.

I use a LiPo battery to power the isolator on DAM - in the middle of the recommended voltage - 4 volts.

Use the one on the WAVE IO or the one on DAM. Do not use both. One is plenty. Some think even one is too many ...

I use those funny little connectors on the WAVE IO to bypass the isolator. HIROSE is the manuacturer of the connector's name.

Yes, that is right. You should use the unisolated uBNC connectors of the WaveIO, since isolation is already on the DAM board. On the plus side: you do not need the additional powersupply for the WaveIO and have it all for the DAM board.

@rickmcinnis, kumori,
kumori said:
I use a LiPo battery to power the isolator on DAM - in the middle of the recommended voltage - 4 volts.
Yes, that is right. You should use the unisolated uBNC connectors of the WaveIO, since isolation is already on the DAM board. On the plus side: you do not need the additional powersupply for the WaveIO and have it all for the DAM board.

Thanks, for your answers.
This is the my goal with the HIROSE connectors (did you you have a part number or give it only a standard size?), my final target is to power the DAC then with to two Salas SSLV1.1 BiB shunt reg, we will see.

My WaveIO ist already powered with a 5V Salas Reflektor-D so i will try it because "i want to listen today" :D The connectors must i first buy.

Soren, MKROM processes without complaints mixes old style (type 1/2) and new style (type 4-11) filters.
This is nice as NOS-type filters are more convenient in old style, as you there have not the 1-scaling problem.

Question 1: are the old style FIR1 filter processed in the DAM as before firmware 0.99, i.e. can one relay on that no further scaling of the coefficients is done in the DAM, so coefficient 1 just bypass?

Question 2: Is it possible to set the old style filter in uManger mode (set filter) as default filter? In the help text there are only suggested (fixed) names for the new banks.

Question 3: MKROM processes also without complaints type 3/4 filters (which seem to be 3.29 ffloats). Can this type be used safely or is it not yet fully implemented?

Question 4: Would it be possible to add a method that only add filters to the ones already in the DAM but not overwrites the filter of type xx where xx does not appear as filter in the new filter set. This would be useful to make additions to filters that are only published as .skr files.

Finally a remark. If the default filter bank (set filter...) is not available in the provided filter set, the DAM does not play. Here a fallback behaviour, i.e. loading the first existing filter would be nice.

@Søren,

It plays! :D:D:D:D
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The small reg is a ADM7151 regulator from Nikitas, i thing for first listening is it ok (trimmed to 3.3V).

Next step is ..
- other r-core transformer for each needed voltage (WaveIO, dam1021 DC input and for the 3.3V)
- Salas shunt reg for the WaveIO
- Salas shunt reg for the 3.3V
- Salas shunt reg for DC input at he DAC

Theoretically are all parts here .... but now first some time listening. :)

Sorry but there was no EDIT button:

Mac pro with Audirvana Plus - WaveIO - dam1021 - Pass Aleph J (clone, mini) - RFT BR 50 at the desk, in the living room then Mac mini - Audirvana Plus - WaveIO - dam1021 - Pass Xline Pre (clone) - Spendor BC1A(ctive)

It sounds really good on the desk and this without some "tuning". I'm really impressed!

I’ve ran into an issue when updating to FW .99. When i downloaded the firmware to the Dac and entered the command "update" it started to repeat "L044." I thought this might be part of the update process so I let it be, after an hour or so it's still doing the same thing. I powered off for a few minutes and turned it back on, Established serial connection and it started doing the same thing, repeating "L044" over and over again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. <br />
<br />
I would like to point out when while downloading the firmware i received a the following;<br />
"CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC" for about 30 lines. Then it stopped (The "C"s).<br />
<br />
I'm Lost :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

I'm having trouble switching between the filters. I'm a little dense when it comes to these things. I receive the response "Invalid Command" with everything I've tried entering. I thought all you need to do is type "filter = linear" to select the linear filter or "filter = soft" to select the soft filter. I've been entering this once the uManager has been activated/entered. Apparently I'm missing something or just don't understand how this works.

I'm having trouble switching between the filters. I'm a little dense when it comes to these things. I receive the response "Invalid Command" with everything I've tried entering. I thought all you need to do is type "filter = linear" to select the linear filter or "filter = soft" to select the soft filter. I've been entering this once the uManager has been activated/entered. Apparently I'm missing something or just don't understand how this works.

Outside of the uManager prompt you just type "F4" or "F5" etc and then return and the new filter gets applied. I don't think there is another way to swap filters. You can then go into uManager to see if your change has been applied. You just type "filters" and return to see the current filters.

You are right! I just noticed the relevant command:

soekris-after-upgrade-2-crop.png

It appears to be "set filter = linear" etc.

But I still think that the F4, F5, etc. commands are easier to use (no need to go into uManager).