• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I think that daisy chain needs other hardware (e.g. RS485) or two RS232 on the DAM: One for input and one for output and the implementation of a type of token protocol.

I do not really expect Soren to waste much time for the very small percentage of users who want to use multi-dam setups AND access full command set with a microcontroller. For basic volume adjustment and input switching daisy chaining should work as is. If you want to work with umanager, connect each dac to its own port on the controller. Or mux the dacs to one port. Not the most elegant solution imaginable, but it can be made to work without any firmware changes.

It's my assumption this product was originally marketed as having the capability to be used in an active system with multiple dacs. Would be nice to have this sorted out.

Sort what out ? Who don't you try setting it up, parallel some units and generate some IIR crossover filters ? Afaik, it should work, although I haven't tested it. If you run into any problem we'll all try to help fix it....

uManager is also supposed to be used only for configuration, filter downloads and firmware upgrading.

The problem is that a few people want more features and/or flexibility, which are not going to happen anytime soon....

Sort what out ? Who don't you try setting it up, parallel some units and generate some IIR crossover filters ? Afaik, it should work, although I haven't tested it. If you run into any problem we'll all try to help fix it....

uManager is also supposed to be used only for configuration, filter downloads and firmware upgrading.

The problem is that a few people want more features and/or flexibility, which are not going to happen anytime soon....

I will once a firm firmware release is made and I have had it updated per our private emails.

I realize this is a diy product but it is also a commercial product, one that was said to have multidac functionality. As a commercial product, I would have assumed this would have been checked by you and documented in a manual. A manual which goes into detail on the various implementations and configurations would be very helpful so people don't have to scour the various threads and web sites looking for answers to basic questions on how to put this into service. Or basically experiment with it given that any damage done will be the user's problem.

Please consider that "diy" means different things to different people. For example, Hypex ncore400 amps are diy too but basically everything is plug and play. And the manual answers basic questions on construction.

Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate the time and effort that you have made to make this available. It is just a bit frustrating for those without advanced skills to be expected to just take the board and run with it, especially when it was purchased assuming there would be a manual of some sort to guide the implementation.

Last edited:
I will once a firm firmware release is made and I have had it updated per our private emails.

I realize this is a diy product but it is also a commercial product, one that was said to have multidac functionality. As a commercial product, I would have assumed this would have been checked by you and documented in a manual. A manual which goes into detail on the various implementations and configurations would be very helpful so people don't have to scour the various threads and web sites looking for answers to basic questions on how to put this into service. Or basically experiment with it given that any damage done will be the user's problem.

Please consider that "diy" means different things to different people. For example, Hypex ncore400 amps are diy too but basically everything is plug and play. And the manual answers basic questions on construction.

Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate the time and effort that you have made to make this available. It is just a bit frustrating for those without advanced skills to be expected to just take the board and run with it, especially when it was purchased assuming there would be a manual of some sort to guide the implementation.

I understand you. But please note that it didn't start with plans for multiple dacs connected, that came after people asked and I answered "should be possible"....

Also, please note that I'm an optimist and, as many other large projects, underestimated the time needed to make and test all the firmware involved....

We do have a draft manual that will be released soon after updating it with 0.99 firmware specific things.

A marker on the back
dsc04889.jpg

At this point I don't think anyone should expect a fully manageable balanced dac with crossover channels while expecting to automatically control 4+ boards and keep them in sync without an appropriate MCU. Ideally this is a job for dimdim's TFT HiFiDuino codebase, it can be expanded to do far more than what uManager can ever be expected do with 2 to 4+ dac boards on its own.

Thank you for the nice review. Though i don't know what the "the super modded Dam" means exactly.

Up here in DIYA it doesn't mean much.
On the other site I made sure that people there realised my Dam is modded to its best possible sound (at that time). The modifications I made are nothing really original, you can look them up from the same site I wrote my comparison, though the same bits are laying here too (by others), just really scattered.

Soren, is there anything implemented preventing the DAM playing a pure DC signal at the SE outputs?
I would like to have it to perform some measurements, but somehow I did not get it work up to now.
I use a filter set without DC blocking IIR nor emphasis IIR.
Normal musik plays.
When I play a file containing only DC, the samplerate adjusts to the correct value, so some digital input is recognized, but I measure no DC voltage.