Recommend amplifier to build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The costs come from their experience and their effort optimize in edges where the results go exponential with the costs...

Modern FABs absolutely impossible to outperform in a hobbyist workshop same way as it is impossible to build Boeing Dreamliner in a backyard nevertheless a lot of DIY'ers convinced that discreet home-brew two layers PCB self made amps sounds better than TI wide-band ultrasonic ICs that are designed and implemented for a way more advanced applications like sonars :)

Modern FABs absolutely impossible to outperform in a hobbyist workshop same way as it is impossible to build Boeing Dreamliner in a backyard nevertheless a lot of DIY'ers convinced that discreet home-brew two layers PCB self made amps sounds better than TI wide-band ultrasonic ICs that are designed and implemented for a way more advanced applications like sonars :)

I sometimes thought about this as well. If IC are that good why aren´t they used more in hi-end audio, looks likes everybody is doing still discrete.
If I understand you correctly, you propose something like Lynx topology? IC amp boosted by discrete power transistors?

I have already built F5 with IRFP output mosfets. These small power room heaters are not for me. Small power class A amps do not have enough sound quality advantage over class AB design to make me spend lot more on power supply, heatsinks, more heat, which gives me low power.

So, no class A.

I sometimes thought about this as well. If IC are that good why aren´t they used more in hi-end audio, looks likes everybody is doing still discrete.
If I understand you correctly, you propose something like Lynx topology? IC amp boosted by discrete power transistors?

Not quite right for example Cary is implementing LME in SS designs. Keep in mind that most ICs means class AB verbatim.

I would say in order to get the most from home audio the key factor would be using high efficiency speakers and class A amplification. Quality of an audio source is getting very important too it must be either LP or SACD with class A output in the case.

BTW I am into HiEnd stuff for while. I was owned a lot in the past from Carver, Nakamichi up to Accuphase & power behemoths from KRELL and ended up with Wadia transport-DAC + Graaf tube gear that goes up to hundreds KHz in BW but I was literally shocked by a quality of audio it is possible to get nowadays from below hundred dollars ICs like OPA627, LME49811.

Even simpler amplification like AD8610+LM1875 using none inverting implementation properly treated by a quality trafo and audiophile grade capacitors with good backloaded horn sounds breathtaking.

I believe that OTL OCL tube gear + ESL is the cutting edge still but my opinion hear might be biased by many years of personal listening addictions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.