• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Receiving payment via Paypal - foreign country & currency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
peranders said:
You can set the preferences about converting.

So I'm required to log on an change my preferences before every transaction from a different source. Nice solution. 99% of my transactions are in Euros or US$.

I guess most people get hooked on Paypal by the need to pay for one thing, as Rick57 points out. By the time you get to receiving money the User Agreement is a distant memory.

For all of those who are not bothered to find out how PayPal works - and make it work to their advantage.....and those who don't see the benefits of using this invaluable system......and those who just want to complain but have no better solution:-

"Don't use it!!!!!"

spzzzzkt said:

So on a $535AU sale, i get stung ..................... Paypal have kindly transfer $506AU ....................$15.00 slice for a total corporate fee of $51.00 or around 9%, ................ Guess I won't be selling on ebay for much longer.

You cannot really complain as Ebay's and Paypal's fees are widely advertised. As with any sale at auction, you should check out the seller and buyer commission rates. Would you still be complaining if your clarinet only sold for $450AU ?? instead of $535 ?? It could have happened, it was an auction.

As with many things in life, you have to weigh up the pros and cons.

It is still cheaper to use it, from the UK, rather than bank transfer.

It is far more convenient than most other methods.

It is the quickest method.

It does offer some protection.

It is expensive (especially when added to the other Ebay costs)

As regards costs, while it is 'not permitted' to charge buyers to use Paypal, it is permitted to charge 'reasonable' postage, packaging and handling' so build in a 'little slack'.. You should also set your start price accordingly.

Andy

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
PerAnders,

I have checked. Paypal.com.au doesn't seem to give those options afaik. Seriously, PP do not offer the same services in each country.

I've checked again, while I can have multiple currency accounts, you have to have a primary account which is the default for sending and receiving $$. Can't see anything like what your talking about, which would have solve my issues.

cheers
Paul

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
poynton said:

You cannot really complain as Ebay's and Paypal's fees are widely advertised. As with any sale at auction, you should check out the seller and buyer commission rates. Would you still be complaining if your clarinet only sold for $450AU ?? instead of $535 ?? It could have happened, it was an auction.

To be honest the clarinet in question was valued at $1300AU 2 years ago, and I was about to pull it 2 days before the auction ended expect someone beat me to it and bid. $450.00 was the starting price, and I was pretty disappointed to be honest at the bidding, but thats the risk. Lets just say I wouldn't ever put something like that on ebay again.

The paypal cc fees were a PITA but manageable, and ebay is well advertised thats fine. The AU$->US$->AU$ exchange shuffle which ended up costing me 2x the CC fee was the killer, and completely avoidable.

edit:

Ok I see what's happened, they bundle the currency conversion question in with the accept credit card payment information, so to OK a cc funded payment you also accept the currency conversion. I could avoided this if I'd had an AUS$ balance in addition to the US$ balance I normally use. doh.

Fin

>For all of those who are not bothered to find out how PayPal works - and make it work to their advantage.....and those who don't see the benefits of using this invaluable system......and those who just want to complain but have no better solution:-
"Don't use it!!!!!"

there’s a big difference between having some frustrations - and abandoning the option, or just wanting to learn more about it

spzzzzkt said:
I've checked again, while I can have multiple currency accounts, you have to have a primary account which is the default for sending and receiving $$. Can't see anything like what your talking about, which would have solve my issues.

spzzzzkt said:
Ok I see what's happened, they bundle the currency conversion question in with the accept credit card payment information, so to OK a cc funded payment you also accept the currency conversion. I could avoided this if I'd had an AUS$ balance in addition to the US$ balance I normally use. doh.

My account is in Australia too - so I have the same limitations as you. What I have found to work well is to set my primary account to $AUD and it is set up to draw automatically from a nominated bank account. I also have accounts in most of the major currencies.

When I sell something - I let the funds go into the appropriate currency account depending on how the buyer paid. I generally leave the funds there until I need to buy something in that currency.

When I purchase something - PayPal gives me the option to use funds that are currently in any of my various currency accounts - or to automatically draws funds from my nominated bank account.

spzzzzkt said:
To be honest the clarinet in question was valued at $1300AU 2 years ago, and I was about to pull it 2 days before the auction ended expect someone beat me to it and bid. $450.00 was the starting price, and I was pretty disappointed to be honest at the bidding, but thats the risk. Lets just say I wouldn't ever put something like that on ebay again.

I can see how you would be disappointed and it was an expensive way to learn. If you do decide to sell something on eBay again I suggest the following:-

1. Before listing it....decide on how much you really want for the item (the minimum that you would be happy receiving for it) and set the starting price or reserve price at that value. You might not get as many bids...but who cares about the bids that are below the price you want for it. If you don't get any bids....then it has only cost you a few dollars in listing fees.

2. If, for some reason, you change your mind about selling the item - or if you don't think you will get the price you are hoping for.....cancel the auction - even if there are bids. You are entitled to do this....and nothing bad will happen. You will only receive negative feedback if the auction continues to the end and you don't complete the sale.

rick57 said:
there’s a big difference between having some frustrations - and abandoning the option, or just wanting to learn more about it

OK - I appologise if my attitude/comments were a bit harsh. I wasn't being very helpfull or constructive. :sorry:

Indeed, using PayPal and eBay is definitely a learning process. I too had a few misshaps at the start - where I could have sold something for a better price, bought something cheaper or reduced the costs....but you live and learn.

With a little experience, preparation and planning - PayPal and eBay can make a great combination. Learning how to use them to "your" advantage is the key. "You" have to be in control of the transaction - and don't allow those at the other end to control what you do with your item for sale/purchase and your account.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
They did originally have a reserve but no longer offer that feature. So where as you could previously set a low starting price and a realistic reserve as a safety net, you now have to decide whether you set a low starting price in the hope that you attract enough interest to push the price up to a sensible price, or set a safe, high starting price and the possibility no-one will bid.

Fin,

thanks for the info on canceling auctions, I'd been under the impression that you were locked in once bids had been placed.

cheers
Paul

spzzzzkt said:
.......you now have to decide whether you set a low starting price in the hope that you attract enough interest to push the price up to a sensible price, or set a safe, high starting price and the possibility no-one will bid.

thanks for the info on canceling auctions, I'd been under the impression that you were locked in once bids had been placed.

I would take the risk of getting no bids rather than take a big loss on selling an item for a lot less than it's real value. Starting a high quality/value item at a low price is only attracting sharks and opportunists who are not prepared to pay what it is worth. It might take longer with a higher starting price - but relisting it again and again will only cost a few dollars.....and might eventually find the right buyer.

The only thing that you are locked into once bids have been place is the layout and content of your listing. Before bids are received, you can alter the listing, text, photos, starting price, buy it now price etc.....Once bids have been placed - no revisions can be made - but you can cancel the listing.

spzzzzkt said:
ebay will joyously be forcing sellers to accept paypal payments as a condition of listing from march 1.

Do you have a link for the above? I hadn't heard this news. I'll be selling elsewhere if it's true. I accept Paypal for certain international sales, but EFT is so easy (and virtually free) for most people here in AUS that it is stupid to incur Paypal fees. If they changed to a "buyer pays" fees model it would make more sense.

I was wrong about the reserve price still being available in AUS. I never used it because it discourages bidders.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Jeff, rereading this it seems the changes only applies to post 17th Jan 2007 registrations. I suspect it might be the thin edge of wedge however.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

"To improve the safe payment options available to buyers, eBay will require sellers who register after 17th January 2007 to accept at least one of the preferred safe payment forms of either PayPal or a merchant credit card facilities, in their listings. Other additional payments options, which are currently permitted onsite, may also be provided. Please be aware that this requirement will be enforced starting mid March 2007."

we are safe for the moment:

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/au/200701231029022.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.