• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Receiving payment via Paypal - foreign country & currency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
luka said:
If I'm getting this right, let say that I was buying something, I pay the price to paypal and wait for seller to send me that thing. But if he can get money before he had sended that was he selling, then he can "legally" steal money from me, rihgt?
There are at least three ways of doing business:

Pay in advance

Pay at delivery

Pay after you have recieved the stuff

Haven't you got these options in your country?

Pay is not a cheap alternative. Bank transfer in Europe is for more cheap but Paypal is 1000 times faster and much more convenient, this you have to pay for. Paypal has never messed with _and_ I have also read the fine print which more people should do. Much of the complaints are about not reading the conditions.

peranders said:

Pay is not a cheap alternative. Bank transfer in Europe is for more cheap but Paypal is 1000 times faster and much more convenient,

In the UK, Paypal is far cheaper than bank transfer !!!!
Bank transfer rates are a Rip-off!! I get annoyed with German vendors who insist on bank transfer.

When I purchase items, I hit the pay now within minutes of making the purchase unless I am making another purchase from the same vendor or require a total. Why wait ??

Having said that, I have made sales to a couple of Japanese buyers who wanted to wait until the end of the month to pay !!

Andy

luka said:
If I'm getting this right, let say that I was buying something, I pay the price to paypal and wait for seller to send me that thing. But if he can get money before he had sended that was he selling, then he can "legally" steal money from me, rihgt?

As a seller, I would not send an item without receiving payment. Paypal does offer some protection to the vendor and buyer (mainly the buyer) if you follow the procedures.

The only exception to this would be if the buyer was collecting.

Even receiving payment first is no guarantee that attempts will not be made to claim the money back after the goods have been received.

I recently sold a very nice pair of B&O speakers to a guy in Turkey.
He happily agreed to pay for DHL courier and of course I got proof of delivery. He then emailed me to say the speakers were sh1t, damaged, not working, ripped cones etc. I replied 'OK, send them back and I will reimburse the money'. His reply was 'They were so sh1t that I threw them on the tip. I still want my money back.' He tried to claim through Paypal but needless to say they threw his claim out!! So the system does work.

Andy

PayPal is one of the best systems ever introduced.

Located here in Australia - where it is not always easy to get what you are looking for - PayPal has opened up a whole new world of shopping. Items that were virtually impossible to find locally are now available internationally and easily paid for.

In the last 4 years I have traded (buying and selling) with private individuals and businesses in the USA, Europe, Asia and Australia without any problems. I only incurr fees because my account is enabled to accept credit card payments. If I sell something in Australia, I generally try to use electronic bank transfer as it is free.

From my experience, it seems to be generally accepted that the buyer pays first - then the goods are shipped. I'm quite happy with this.

I never had complaints about paypal - with several hundred (>500) transactions, both as seller and buyer.

Bank charges are very high, no way to retrieve when a problem with the purchase occurs, i.e. item not as described.
At western union, someone was able to hack into my account - totally unexplainable by WU, I guess an insider job, they were not even able to trace the email of the hacker - and took 1000$ out to pay for his purchases. Luckily they were deducted from my registered Visa card, so Visa reimbursed me as I could proof no ebay purchases at the time.

Yes, they make money, and the exchange rates are not the kindest - but I had the same complaint from customers in europe, where they also charge the recipient for transactions, even if you had paid all fees pertaining in NA already. And its faster and works instantly.

If ou complain - try the bank, stand 3/4 hour at the counter because the clerk doesn't have a clue how to proceed and you wind up with three clerks trying to solve the problem how to transfer 150$ to europe - and charge you 30$ plus for the works. I am talking from experience

ak

> If ou complain

I started with a question
"If anyone has accepted foreign currency payments, how or where in Paypal did you did it?"

and pointed out a simplistic limitation
"doesn't seem to allow bank accounts in joint names"

and pointed out my view of disclosure, from a newbie's perspective.

"try the bank, stand 3/4 hour at the counter"

That's not the only alternative, my bank, and i imagine many now has online banking. Paypal is cheaper for smaller trx, maybe not for larger ones.

You're happy, good, but you haven't told me anything specific to my question(s).
I'm not bagging paypal generally, I just couldn't see what I wanted to find. Comprende vous?

I don't think that PayPal really cares whose name the bank account is in - or whether it is in individual or joint names........so long as you are an authorised person on thst account and provide the correct BSB and Account No. Once you provide those details, PayPal then goes through the verification process which proves that you are authorised to use that account and the bank account becomes confirmed.

doesn't seem to allow bank accounts in joint names

Do not know what you are talking about - my at paypal registered account is in my wifes and my name.

If anyone has accepted foreign currency payments, how or where in Paypal did you did it

There just isn't much to do. Payments on ebay purchases don't have to be approved - you only have to accept money from non ebay transfers.
Paypal in their email messages clearly state what you have to do.
And no - I do not know of any fast, easy money transfer to paypal or non paypal account holders - as long as they have an email address.

As I pointed out - I purchased before the majority dealing on ebay had paypal accounts - and I usually do not buy from anybody anymore not having a paypal account.

Paypal is very difficult to deal with when something goes wrong.I have had various problems but recently for example I made a claim for refund because the item was sent damaged (an expensive tonearm).The seller accepted the process and I received paypal instructions to return the item whereupon I would be refunded.
I sent the package by registered mail from Brazil to UK which is not online trackable but is traceable with some effort.
The user agreement only says paypal may request confirmation of reception.
Paypal asked for a tracking number after I sent it and they messaged me that since they could not track it online they summarily closed the case.
This is silly because
1.They did not bother to ask the seller if he had received the returned package
2.the user agreement does not specifically say online tracking is necessary.
3.They did not ask if there was any other proof/documents etc

They just cannot be bothered with the millions of claims and counterclaims
The end result is that the seller has my money and the original merchandise and does not need to answer any emails from me!!

protos said:
Paypal is very difficult to deal with when something goes wrong.

But it is no worse than if you had sent him a cheque or money order...........and a lot better when things go right.

Ultimately, I don't think that it should be PayPal's responsibility to ensure that all dealings between buyers and sellers are handled in a fair and honest manner....that is up to the buyer and seller to manage that. PayPal is just an efficient way of transferring funds from one party to another. The fact that they offer some protection is a bonus!

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Here's a little anecdote about the joys of ebay and paypal.

I've just completed a transaction for a sale of a clarinet on ebay. The buyer insisted on using credit card funded paypal. I asked that he not use this method and pay by direct deposit. I was told I was breaching ebay rules and would be given very negative feedback if i persisted.

So on a $535AU sale, i get stung $15.00 by ebay. fair enough. I'm now forced to accept a paypal credit card payment, at a mere 3.4% cost to me. ok, can almost stomach that. Hmmm next problem, because I'm using paypal to sell/buy stuff in US $ my main account is in US$, so paypal kindly convert a AU$ payment to US$ with out asking what I want to do. Great. I want to transfer my $$ plus $12US (approx $15AU) to my bank account, so they convert US$ to AU$ at their c**p exchange rate. Greeeeaaaaat!!!!.

So what do I have left from my apparent $550AU? Paypal have kindly transfer $506AU to my bank account. Yup $44.00AU in fees. If you factor in Parent Company ebay's $15.00 slice for a total corporate fee of $51.00 or around 9%, you can understand why ebay will joyously be forcing sellers to accept paypal payments as a condition of listing from march 1. Guess I won't be selling on ebay for much longer.

an unhappy ebay seller, paypal victim.

Paul

audio-kraut

quote:
doesn't seem to allow bank accounts in joint names

ak > Do not know what you are talking about - my at paypal registered account is in my wifes and my name.

As someone said, it doesn't operate the same in every country

peranders,

> You can set the preferences about converting.

thanks, one of my points was that some aspects that are to your disadvantage, are not made apparent

Regards

rick57 said:

thanks, one of my points was that some aspects that are to your disadvantage, are not made apparent

They are made quite plain if you read the terms of use agreement that is presented when you sign up. I know nobody reads those things, but I did. I'm sure you can find the terms of use on the Paypal Australia site.

You may not want to spend an hour or two reading it, but that's an entirely different issue isn't it? :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.