Really tiny RiPole

Thanks a lot for the detailed write-ups @tubelectron!

When you tried your ripole with your friend's horns does that mean you put the ripole's outputs where the horn's driver would sit? If not, it might be interesting to consider that - it would need 2x the number of horns as you'd need one for every side of the driver, but I'd expect some good output, though at the cost of space/size.

Well, @Abhishmuk : I'm sure to understand your question, to be honest... The two dispositions we tested were the reality of definitive disposition, and the 2nd one (Ripole close to the room center) seemed better than the 1st one (Ripole close to in-between horns) in terms of bass level at the listening place.

Wow, those horns are beautiful! As a cabinetmaker myself, I can appreciate the considerable skill that goes into such joinery. Well done!

Your impression that the added bass seemed to come from the horns themselves is proof of a successful integration. Perhaps some phase delay might've rectified the placement problem? What crossover/slope was used?

Thanks @ripblade ! My Audio friend designed them and have them made by a cabinetmaker (at left, the prototype, at right the definitive model). This project is intended for a small production.

Yes, that's true : the bass seemed to come from the horns themselves, in the room center placement of the Omega Ripole (N°2), finally with the phase on the subwoofer module switched to 180°, with 24dB/Oct. slope at circa 40Hz.

That said, when we tested with his Magnepan MG2.5 - in the same room - the marriage between the Ripole and the Planars was evident and immediate, just placed in between the speakers like with the horns (N°1). Dipole planar or e-static speakers - that are said to be difficult to pair with BR, sealed or ASW subs - were enchantered by the Omega Ripole : we could not tell from where the infra-bass came, the blend was total...

So conversely, maybe the horns would have benefited better to be paired with a conventional sub, instead of a pseudo-dipole sub like the Ripole ? Since we had not one on hand, we can't tell...

T

Reactions: 1 user
A voigt pipe is a crude horn, start of th etrransition from “T”s” to “Horns”. They are all quarter-wave pipes but horns are usually not called pipes.

dave
From a musical point of view horns are bugles. A continuous expanding pipe is a bugle. A constant pipe with a horn on the end is a trumpet or trombone. Tubas and French horns are bugles.