Random comments on common errors in technical documents

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What about a PSU filter consisting in three 10kuF capacitors? :D
Is it hard to write 10mF or 10,000uF?

Folks don't use "mF" since the old guys like me remember when it stood for mike -- the Greek mu wasn't used probably owing to it not being in the usual typesetter's bin of letters. A 365pF variable cap for an a.m. receiver would be referred to as 365mmF -- i think it started to change sometime in the early 1960's.

Not that folks didn't understand "milli" from Latin, most high school students on an academic track took it up until the 1960's.

For many years the British Royal Navy measured capacitance in jars (roughly 1nF). They only switched to farads somewhere around the 1940s, long after everyone else had switched. Probably because our navy are the most conservative part of the most conservative part (the military) of any nation. I guess the jar is a useful size of measure for long wave circuits in a spark transmitter.

For many years the British Royal Navy measured capacitance in jars (roughly 1nF). They only switched to farads somewhere around the 1940s, long after everyone else had switched. Probably because our navy are the most conservative part of the most conservative part (the military) of any nation. I guess the jar is a useful size of measure for long wave circuits in a spark transmitter.

May be that they was using as unit a Leyden Jar???

When I was in the second year of the UTN (Universidad Tecnológica Nacional, a public university in Argentina), in the Physics II laboratory, the guys there invented a strange time measuring unit they called "Tic" (That hasn't direct conversion with any "normal or standard time measuring unit). In the partial and or final exams, if you use the standard second, you was automatically disapproved (sorry if this is not the wright meaning).

When I was in the second year of the UTN (Universidad Tecnológica Nacional, a public university in Argentina), in the Physics II laboratory, the guys there invented a strange time measuring unit they called "Tic" (That hasn't direct conversion with any "normal or standard time measuring unit). In the partial and or final exams, if you use the standard second, you was automatically disapproved (sorry if this is not the wright meaning).

Eso sucede porque las cátedras a veces son feudos, y no tienen control de gestión docente.
Es práctica común en algunas facultades de Ingeniería.:rolleyes:
Yo fuí al FAMAF (Facultad de Matemática, Astronomía y Física-UNC)
Algo así sería razón suficiente para expulsarlos del país!
Si hay algo en que los Argentinos podemos estar orgullosos, son nuestras Universidades.:cool:

That's because the professorships are sometimes feuds, and have no management control.
It is common practice in some colleges of Engineering.:rolleyes:
I went to FAMAF (Faculty of Mathematics, Astronomy and Physics-UNC)
Something like that would be reason enough to expel them the country!
If there is something to be proud Argentines are our Universities.:cool:

Si hay algo en que los Argentinos podemos estar orgullosos, son nuestras Universidades.:cool:

If there is something to be proud Argentines are our Universities.:cool:

Si, tenés razón, pero eso era antes. Yo hice jardín, primario, ENET and universidad estatal, y estoy sumamente conforme. Pero, ahora, con tanta política y tantas huelgas, la enseñanza estatal está destruida. Yo cambiaría el tiempo verbal: estábamos.

Yes, you're right, but that was before. I made kinder garden, primary, secondary level, and university in public ones, and I am extremely satisfied. But now, with so many political and strikes, public education is destroyed. The actual verb would be "were".

Also, what cm was equal to? I saw very old capacitors marked in cms.

I simply can't get used to milifarads. Also, some American folks still can't use Henry, they use CPS (cycles per second).

Maybe you mean Hertz?
Wrong Procer, or my Tarzan-English?:)

Also, what cm was equal to? I saw very old capacitors marked in cms.

CGS units
[C] = "cm" or statfarad

MKS equivalence
1 "cm" = 1.113 pF

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.