Quite frankly I don't understand why different pads should sound different

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Millwood, different views are certainly tolerated. You won't find two people with more different views than Peter and me, yet we're starting what will probably be a most interesting collaboration. And we've had (and have) strong differences of opinion, yet our interaction has always remained cordial and respectful. As has yours and mine.

Let's keep all this on topic, OK?

Strange But True.

SY said:
Eric: We had some of those sorts of devices marketed here in the States. When actually tested by the standards customary in the industry (ie, blind and controlled), they failed to work. I can put you in touch with some folks in Oz who will be happy to look at that sort of thing, if you thing you've got something different.

I now return the thread to its intended topic.

Yeah, this one works, no question.
By all means drop me a private email and we can talk.

Eric.

Can you give me web references to the ones that (don't) work ?. - Thanks.

janneman said:
Eric,
The transistor tab is generally connected to the collector isn't it, which is normally (in the majority of cases which are CC output stages) to the power supply. So your extra isolator cap is in parallel with the supply caps, which I guess wouldn't change the sound.

Different sound from different heatsinks is common, because the heatsing itself will be exited by the vibrating transistors (caused by the AC currents through the transistors). So, depending of material ands geometry of the heatsink, your amp has subtle character properties.

Jan Didden

Such capacitive leakage to the chassis earthed heatsink might introduce high frequency earth loops - how much effect this might have is open.

I agree that the mechanical resonance characteristics of the heatsink is one factor, but ime/imo the actual material imparts a character also, along the lines of silver wire sounding different to copper wires.
Eddy currents induced into the heatsink material may be a loading influence here.
The alumina pads that Peter uses are quite thick and physically seperate the device from the heatsink and thereby reduce any such eddy currents.

Eric.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
mrfeedback said:

Such capacitive leakage to the chassis earthed heatsink might introduce high frequency earth loops - how much effect this might have is open.

I agree that the mechanical resonance characteristics of the heatsink is one factor, but ime/imo the actual material imparts a character also, along the lines of silver wire sounding different to copper wires.
Eddy currents induced into the heatsink material may be a loading influence here.
The alumina pads that Peter uses are quite thick and physically seperate the device from the heatsink and thereby reduce any such eddy currents.

Eric.

Eric, sorry, I may have an off day, and I understand all individual words, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Jan Didden

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
SY said:
Millwood, different views are certainly tolerated.

I am not mad at the whole thing, or Peter's sometimes less-than-desirable behavior in this discussion - I am sure I could be viewed the same at times.

However, I approached the discussion with the sincere goal of understanding Peter's claim, which can potentially have profound impact not only on DIY audio but also physics and electronics at large.

I thought I tried my best to be honest, respectful, civil, and even-headed, in spite of low shots, multiple of them, fired at me, and being called BS a couple of times as well.

All this did to me was planet10's coming out calling me a bully. This is what Webster has to say about "bully":

a blustering browbeating person; especially : one habitually cruel to others who are weaker

so, planet10, would you mind telling me which of the following is true?

1. Peter is weaker? (His arguments are pretty weak, I will grand you that);
2) am I habitually cruel to others? and how/where/when?
3) am I self-assertive? where and when?
4) did I ever make swaggering threats? where and when?
5) did I intimidate others? where and when?
6) did I make arrogant speech? where and when?

a few data points for you as well planet10:
1) who revoked qualification in this discussion?
2) who said that he presumed others to be less qualified and dumb in a discussion? that post, for your information, had been revised by its author to take out this particular part;
3) who asked how many amps I have built?
4) who asked me to build an amp of my own before I can speak on a subject?

to list a few.

Persistent I am, bullying I am not.

and if you cannot see that, planet10, I don't know how you can be possibly fair and balanced as a moderator needs to be.

Again, to SY's point, I don't want to continue this discussion with you if you cannot be fair. Enough said.

SY said:
Eric: Yeah, I was adding that in as an edit just as you were posting this. I still don't see it- you don't normally have significant current flowing across the case.
Err, AFAIK it is pretty much universal that the collector connection is the heatsink area of transistor devices.
In the GC chips, the HS tab is the -VE connection.
Both of these will be carrying speaker current plus quiescent current.
The speaker curent is of course quite large in magnitude.
At least part of the cause of heatsinks 'singing' in sympathy with the audio I expect is induced eddy currents.

Eric.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
As Jan already said, the heatsink and the collector plate might be a few p size of capacitor formed together with the pads. This means the part of the heatsink under the collector plate might alter few +/- charges. Could it be a real concern for the amp sound or stability? Probably the same effect like 10ppm water drop into 1 liter of wine?

:yinyang:

of course.......

"Fred, do you know what these tuning dots are made of ?"

Yes. They are a several layers of different
lossy materials. They don't work by adding mass but by converting vibration energy to heat. the different sizes and different materials degrees of damping and different mechanical impedances. Before all the whining starts again I should probably mention that Rod is a Mechanical Engineer and reccomend that one read the websites for the 3M and EAR
materials. I will let everybody get back to arguing instead of trying to learn anything about the subject.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.