Quite frankly I don't understand why different pads should sound different

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
mrfeedback said:
Back to the original subject....

I agree with Jonathon Carr that different insulating pads will likely cause differing capacitive coupling to the heatsink and that this may be audible according to the transisent stability of the amplifier circuit.

I also agree that bending moments on the device may cause alteration of chip characteristics.

One other effect in my experience is that of the heatsink material itself.
I have built the same amp design using aluminium or copper heatsinks and this gave two subtly differing sounds - I preferred the copper one.
I think that local field effects are at work here, and by this method I would expect differing insulating pads to cause differing sounds.

Eric.

Eric,

The transistor tab is generally connected to the collector isn't it, which is normally (in the majority of cases which are CC output stages) to the power supply. So your extra isolator cap is in parallel with the supply caps, which I guess wouldn't change the sound.

Different sound from different heatsinks is common, because the heatsing itself will be exited by the vibrating transistors (caused by the AC currents through the transistors). So, depending of material ands geometry of the heatsink, your amp has subtle character properties.

Jan Didden

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Aluminium Used To Be Called 'Congealed Electricity"

mrfeedback said:

Try this experiment - have the same amp running on the bench and compare sounds with no top cover, aluminum top cover, steel top cover or wood top cover and expect to hear distinctly differing sounds - have I inspired your curiosity yet

I by chance have tried my amp with aluminum cover and steel cover and open cover. Unfortunately, I could have not noticed any different sound. Now, are going to recommend me to go to a clinic and re-try?

:yinyang:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jh6you said:

If in serial, change the sound, you guess?

Not sure I get your point?
The discussion was that the extra cap between chassis and transistor (because of the isolating tab) would influence the amp stability or loop response, kinda like a compensation cap. My point was that generally (there may be exceptions) the cap effectively is in parallel with the supply cap (transistor collector = supply to chassis = gnd) so the discussed effect wouldn't appear.

Then again, you may just be joking?

Jan Didden

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
SY said:
Eric: If I turn the coaster over, can I make an old wine taste younger?

One of the old Soviet-era job goes like this: in the good old Russia (or USSR?), they had just invented this great sausage machine that if there is any surplus sausages left, you can push them back into this sausage machine and live pigs would come out from the other end, :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I read thru this thread for the 1st time last nite.

I would like to officially thank all those that stepped in and made this thread interesting and useful (Andy, Jan, peter (analog_sa), AF, jonathan, Fred to name a few),

... and i would like to chastise Millwood for all his bullying posts, and his lack of constructive addition to this thread -- one constructive post could have lead this thread into the excellent discussion those above finally treated us to. This thread is not the only place where you have been posting stuff that reads like a certain Monty Python sketch. If it continues, we may just have to put you back under moderation -- we would rather not do that (we would rather have you act as a contributing adult) as besides being inconvenient and embarrassing for you, it is also painful and annoying for all the Moderators. You don't want grumpy Moderators, I assure you.

Peter Daniel has already been chastised by his fellow Moderators for letting millwood lead him around and responding in kind. He has given us assurances that he'll not engage in this kind of personal back-and-forth again, even when provoked, as he clearly was here.

We will also get those posts cleaned out so that the next people starting to read this thread from scratch don't have to wade thru 3 or 4 pages before they get to the good part.

dave :captain:

SY said:
Eric: If I turn the coaster over, can I make an old wine taste younger?
No the effect is one way (aging) but the wine does revert to original after 30 minutes or so when removed from the said coaster.
This effect can be demonstrated in the bottle or in the glass.
SY, I know that you are heavily involved with winemaking industry and this may seem very odd, but it is true and has been verified by many fellow imbibers.

Eric.

Eric: We had some of those sorts of devices marketed here in the States. When actually tested by the standards customary in the industry (ie, blind and controlled), they failed to work. I can put you in touch with some folks in Oz who will be happy to look at that sort of thing, if you thing you've got something different.

I now return the thread to its intended topic.

jh6you said:
Referring to the pictures above, what are the tapes for?
To put added mass on the top of caps and by doing so to increase natural frequency? Or what?

Assuming that the spring rate remains unchanged, adding mass to an oscillating system reduces the resonant frequency AND the damping. But with a driven (forced) system, adding mass reduces the amplitude of displacement at the driven frequency; and that happens to be the desired effect.

jh6you said:
Bending moment?
What about shear forces?

Shear stresses in a "long beam" are typically small compared to axial stresses induced by bending.

Regards,

Mark

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
planet10, you are entitled to your opinion, however biased I think it is.

As to your wishes, I am whom I am and I don't intend to change myself to make you or anybody happy.

If you want to kick me out for having a different view and trying as hard as I did to have a civil conversation with one of your fellow moderators, in spite of repeated attacks, be it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.