Quick Audioquest Jitterbug review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Interesting read:

Fundamentals of USB Audio | XMOS

After that explain "retransmission of packets in isochronous mode".

Ah had assumed Async operation as put forward by chief snake Rankin by its nature had a NACK. My bad.

Want a great example of correlation not causality https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/def...files/dac-v1_asynchronous-usb_mwp_jan13_0.pdf

Here is our jitter and here is jitter from a random non-async DAC. The extra jitter MUST be from the USB! Of course. why didn't I see that before.

I wasn't even talking about audible differences, I was talking about if it primarily works or not. In most cases I (and my friends) had errors that there was sopmething wrong with the audio device, or that the device was not recognized at all or when it worked there was a lot of distortion with the jitterbug in place. We never even got to the point of listening to any audible differences at all. It simply did not work in the first place, that;s wehat I'm talking about all the time. Not about how resolving a system is to hear the difference, it just has to work before going into that territory. In two cases it worked flawlesly out of about a zillion combinations, that's not what I would call a good score. All I'm saying is that this is absolutely a try before you by device.

This thread may already be dead but I will ask anyway. I did not read all of the posts, but I am wondering if anyone responding to Sjef suggested to him that perhaps he just simply got a defective Jitterbug and that he might return it and ask for another one to see if that is the case.
Sjef, have you entertained that possibility?

This thread may already be dead but I will ask anyway. I did not read all of the posts, but I am wondering if anyone responding to Sjef suggested to him that perhaps he just simply got a defective Jitterbug and that he might return it and ask for another one to see if that is the case.
Sjef, have you entertained that possibility?

I've 3 jitterbugs and they work all without any problem on several computers. Here they are really plug & play. When plugged in it works all the time like it is never there in the first place.

I've 3 jitterbugs and they work all without any problem on several computers. Here they are really plug & play. When plugged in it works all the time like it is never there in the first place.

Yes, that is what everyone reports... that the Jitterbug is plug and play, no problems. That is why I am surprised that Sjef is having so much trouble. He even reports that he has had the same trouble at the home's of friends of his.
So it would seem to me that if no one else is reporting such issues, then the problem must be with that single Jitterbug which he is using and not with Jitterbugs in general.

I have not obtained a Jitterbug as of yet because I live in Italy and AudioQuest has not yet begun shipping them to Italy. But I intend to get one.

Please tell me how you are using your 3 JBs. On 3 different systems? or on 1 system in parallel?
And what sonic improvements do you notice?

I am assuming here what you meant is not what you wrote?

I meant that it worked without problems. Tested on different computers and different DAC's. I didn't say that it does nothing sound wise. If it does something it's very subtle but I think it also depends on the hardware used. I think I cannot hear the difference in a A/B blind test on my system. I like the sound here so the jitterbug stays in my system.

Please tell me how you are using your 3 JBs. On 3 different systems? or on 1 system in parallel?

I'm using 1 jitterbug on my main PC -> USB cable -> Audioengine D1 DAC -> headphones.

I use 2 jitterbugs on my headphone rig.
Shuttle PC (with SSD and passive cooling so no moving parts) -> jitterbug -> USB cable -> Uptone Audio REGEN USB -> Burson DAC DA160 -> Rudistor RPX-35 headphone AMP --> headphones
And 1 jitterbug parallel in a open port.

Yes, that is what everyone reports... that the Jitterbug is plug and play, no problems. That is why I am surprised that Sjef is having so much trouble. He even reports that he has had the same trouble at the home's of friends of his.
So it would seem to me that if no one else is reporting such issues, then the problem must be with that single Jitterbug which he is using and not with Jitterbugs in general.

I have not obtained a Jitterbug as of yet because I live in Italy and AudioQuest has not yet begun shipping them to Italy. But I intend to get one.

Nope, if you actually read what is spread over the internet, including computer audiophile, you will find that there are numerous cases of the device causing problems, not every situation but numerous ones.....

Bill, I'd rather boil my head, it would have more effect.....

I'd have rather had 10 CDs meself, but takes allsorts.

Indeed. Everyone must decide for him/herself. But these are relative cheap tweaks and you can always send it back after testing. (for example online stores)
These tweaks do not change the sound dramatically. To pick up these subtle changes you must be extremely concentrated to find these changes and forget to ENJOY the music ! I try to enjoy the music and with my current system i do.

Maybe it's a placebo effect, but to my mind I like the fact that I tried these tweaks (jitterbug and Uptone REGEN).

I am going to have a play and do a version without the ADUm (a jitterbug clone)...
But if anyone want Gerber's of the current design (or anything else I have thrown together) I can easily provide them. I would probably change resistors to 0805 or 1206s depending on what people want to play with, if anyone is interested let us know and I post Gerber info etc.
Its not hospital grade more RAF trainer jet grade:)

We achieved EMC noise immunity to 18GHz, I worry though whether it would be good enough for Audio...of course the design was done by a collaboration of RF engineer and myself for layout so we had no moonlighting rocket scientists and we The biggest laugh I had was AudioStream slagging me of for commenting on the Audioquest Jitter bug layout, that Michael whatever his name is gets rather arrogant and insulting if someone makes a valid comment regarding certain things.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.