question for anyone who have line array speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indeed. But why do wish to avoid wiring in series-parallel? It's not difficult, and there are no more problems associated with it than wiring the same number of drivers (assuming the impedance allowed it) in series or parallel only. It can also give you options that might not otherwise be available.

I don’t have a problem with it. In fact with a large number of drivers in a line array you have to mix series and parallel.

I would throw this into the mix for consideration: Have each FR driver in its own enclosure. This will allow for 2 future possibilities without limiting you. 1) You can add drivers as your funds permit even if your chosen driver is $$. 2) You can power each driver individually.

Quite. Which is why I was asking Fullrangeman why he apparently has some kind of bizzare aversion to it.
If was possible I prefer all drivers in parallel, but the sound of various drivers in series and serie-parallel are diferent, mainly if direct w/no resistance or cap, also serie-parallel have more soldering and a longer run.

Last edited:
True. That said, since 1ohm drivers are basically not going to happen for the likes of us, series-parallel wiring is a good way of getting decent sensitivity relative to a single unit, while maintaining a reasonable load. Assuming a baseline 90dB for one 8ohm driver, you're at a nominal 96dB with two in parallel (or four in series parallel) and 102 with four in parallel (or eight in series parallel). That said, since array gain only applies at the lower end (notwithstanding the box load) & the upper midrange & HF need some EQ, I agree that in an ideal world the higher the better, all other things being equal, and a 1w 45 amp isn't likely to be a good choice for full-range arrays with EQ'd bass as it will run out of headroom.

Last edited:
Where would you get the drivers that are rated to do this?
For Series connection there is two options:
1) The 1 ohm Bose 901 replacement drivers:
Replacement Full Range Driver for Bose 901 Series VI Speaker SS Audio Parts | eBay

SS Audio Bose style 4.5" woofer
Blue Paper Cone, Foam Surround
Size: 5.2" (132mm)
Hole cut-out: 4" (102mm)
Depth: 2-1/4" (57mm)
Voice coil: 1" (25mm)
Magnet: 12 oz
Impedance: 1 ohms, Re: .76 ohms
Power: 30 watts RMS, 60 watts max
Response: 83-15000 Hz
Sensitivity: 91.5 dB, 1 watt, 1 meter
Le: .11 mH, Fs: 83 Hz, Vas: .24 cu. ft., Qms: 2.41, Qes: .43, Qts: .36, Xmax: 2mm
Replacement full range for Bose 901 (series 3 thru 7, 1 ohm driver, 3 bolt plastic frame)
Does NOT replace older Bose style with 4 hole metal frame!

2) Custom order a small run of 1 ohm drivers in a small manufacturer as SB Acoustics or big as Misco or Eminence, in last option in China.

I unaware any hi impedance driver for parallel connection, but it can be done.

Last edited:
@Zarathu
you say 100 , do you mean it like real concert ?
[How much money do you want to spend? Are you willing to go to active crossovers? Are you willing to make special provisions to ensure the accuracy of your midrange speakers? Will it be a one way, a two way, a three way, or a four way?]
i still digging opinions so i just no think of budget
i believe active crossover make sound not detail again so i want no xover if possible
special provision like what?
just one way using full range driver to make it simple

@Zarathu
you say 100 , do you mean it like real concert ?

Yes..... like you're actually in a real concert. Close your eyes and it seems real. But then I built a three way line array with electronic L-R 24 db/octave crossovers. No equalization was needed. And it was large enough to couple with the floor and the ceiling in the midrange which was 96 inches high.

i believe active crossover make sound not detail again so i want no xover if possible
special provision like what?
just one way using full range driver to make it simple

Read up on active crossovers. They remove the lack of detail that passive brings.

While you can go with a full range single speaker you will need to do lots of equalization, and there is the question of how soon upper frequency comb filter distortion will start cancelling frequencies(because of using a whole bunch of them broadcasting the same frequencies), and give you the “feeling” of lack of air. My line of 1 inch tweeters will do that at 13000hz. A line of 4 inchers will start to do that below 4000hz.

Of course you probably cannot be able to hear it if you sit still due to the Haas Effect.

Last edited:
Yes..... like you're actually in a real concert. Close your eyes and it seems real. But then I built a three way line array with electronic L-R 24 db/octave crossovers. No equalization was needed. And it was large enough to couple with the floor and the ceiling in the midrange which was 96 inches high.

Question: is this an electronic L-R 24db/octave crossover set in a device or is this a validated acoustical crossover which shows that the acoustical energy follows the right LR 24 slopes to be able to call it a Linkwitz-Riley crossover? There's a big difference.

Read up on active crossovers. They remove the lack of detail that passive brings.

This is a gross simplification and simply not true.

While you can go with a full range single speaker you will need to do lots of equalization, and there is the question of how soon upper frequency comb filter distortion will start cancelling frequencies(because of using a whole bunch of them broadcasting the same frequencies), and give you the “feeling” of lack of air. My line of 1 inch tweeters will do that at 13000hz. A line of 4 inchers will start to do that below 4000hz.

Of course you probably cannot be able to hear it if you sit still due to the Haas Effect.

I've already tried to explain that this is simply wrong too, in our case of a floor to ceiling (or even shorter) array. The start of the combing does not depend on the size and spacing of the driver alone. It is way more complicated than this and varies a great deal by changing the actual distance to the array.
Even your tightly spaced tweeter line will create comb filtering patterns.

It will be different from the 4" comb pattern but it will still be there and vary with your actual distance to the line array.

Your two ears will also create a comb pattern for your brain to figure out. It has no problem with it though :).

Last edited:
I've already tried to explain that this is simply wrong too,.......

I find your explanations humorous; and I’ve been here for 13 years.

You tend to simply ignore or claim as invalid any point of reference which is different than your own, including valid online references. And when pushed, you retreat into engineering gobbledegook, rather than produce any references to support your points. There is really no discussing things with you.

It is no wonder your avatar is called WESAYSO and its a picture of someone saying “Shut UP”.

So I just tend to ignore your “teachings”. You are wasting your time using your “powers of persuasion” on me.

By that standard there are no standards. All of the above is likely. Bottom line with speakers thera are always trade offs. In my main use (pa) all of the above happens including short or tall arrays. I am a horn guy but I realise I must cover every seat. Same thing would happen in a home gathering situation. No one is likely to hear and object to minute comb filtering. A good compromise IMO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.