• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Question and comments on SE vs PP by Eddie Vaughn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Clearly better. Although I was told by someone who knows enough that it should represent the highest distortion of all PP topologies, but there was also some mention of rectification due to Ip through a common Rk//Ck tail and that all went over my head. I built it instead.. and it was better.

My experiments/builds were with SE drive stage (low mu, low Rp high current triode).. so not like Mr. Wright.. but apples for apples, my output stage comparison holds. In other words, his differential high mu triode RC coupled to OP stage might yield different results overall compared with the same Class A or AB1 OP stage (but why would you).

Last edited:
I read through both papers by Eddid Vaughn on SE vs PP.
2) In page 8 of the first paper, Mr. Vaughn claimed NFB kills the space and air between the instruments, parts and voices. Is that true?

One often sees claims like this one being made, but it seems to be completely without foundation. Apart from anything else, in its path from the microphones in the recording studio to output from the home CD player, the audio signal will have been through lots of stages where it has been subjected to huge amounts of negative feedback. Does Mr Vaughn therefore claim that the audio signal delivered by the CD player has had "the space and air between the instruments" thoroughly killed before it is fed into the home stereo amplifier? Does he then imagine that it is all resurrected again by the miracle of passing the signal through an SET amplifier? His claim seems to make no sense at all.

Chris

Yes. Clearly better. Although I was told by someone who knows enough that it should represent the highest distortion of all PP topologies, but there was also some mention of rectification due to Ip through a common Rk//Ck tail and that all went over my head. I built it instead.. and it was better.

My experiments/builds were with SE drive stage (low mu, low Rp high current triode).. so not like Mr. Wright.. but apples for apples, my output stage comparison holds. In other words, his differential high mu triode RC coupled to OP stage might yield different results overall compared with the same Class A or AB1 OP stage (but why would you).
I just want to confirm you are referring to the LTP power tubes stage in this article:

http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/dpa300B_brochure_lo_rez.pdf

Thanks for you reply, What do you mean by this? Do you mean design with low gain and wide band so you don't need GNFB?

Those are a part of it.

The most important thing is to design so that you have so low distortion open loop, that there's no need to have feedback to reduce distortion.

Output impedance can be dealt with other ways, like you stated. Drive the OT with source followers.

When not constrained by mass production cost issues, why not design this way? Make each single stage as low distortion as is possible, and the sum total is distortion so low there's no need for feedback.

Take care of each small problem, and the big problem disappears.

Those are a part of it.

The most important thing is to design so that you have so low distortion open loop, that there's no need to have feedback to reduce distortion.

Output impedance can be dealt with other ways, like you stated. Drive the OT with source followers.

You mean like the mu-follower push pull circuit you showed before. That is low output impedance and horizontal load line. But the gain is high though.

How do you do local feedback to lower the Zout?

Source followers operate in 100% local feedback. They are completely transparent and very low output impedance.

Is it true the hysteresis gives the sound characteristics of a tube amp?

No, it's not true.

While all this talk about hysteresis is intellectually interesting, I must repeat: it will not be in the top 5 of distortion sources. It is not a real concern.

Come back with talk of hysteresis after your output tube loadline is horizontal. If you think that ANY process (within specs) in the OT produces even 10% of the distortion the output tube produces with a slanted load line...

You mean like the mu-follower push pull circuit you showed before. That is low output impedance and horizontal load line. But the gain is high though.

Put in 2A3's with a µ of 3 or whatever it is, and see what the gain is. 4P1L has a µ of about 8.

More often than not it's a case of "how do I get enough gain to drive the amp to full power?"

Put a 6SN7 LTP in front of a 4P1L LTP; is this circuit high gain?

As I said, I have a pair of JM Lab 913 which is a 3 way speaker with crossover. I have to live with this speaker. It is a 4 ohm speaker, that hurts the DF, so it might not work with SE amp with no NFB.

Am I stuck with at least some GNFB even if I use UL?

I have the JM Lab 714s for home cinema and although I would bet they are a bit easier to drive than yours I have driven these with a 2W SE amp without a problem. The only real limit in normal room is the SPL with highly dynamic music program like classical o jazz music featuring big groups and orchestras. I don't know your speaker in detail but mine is a nominal 8R impedance speaker with about 4.5 R minimum impedance. It's a 2-1/2 ways with one woofer cut around 700 Hz and the other crossing-over with the tweeter. The minimum impedance happens around the frequency range where one of the woofers is cut out, so it's between 500-1000Hz, but is not very reactive. For the rest it's not a difficult load. It not so difficult to drive.
In your case I guess they are a bit more difficult to drive but a PP amp won't have to much trouble if you consider them 4R rather 8R. The DF won't get so much worse if the primary-to-secondary ratio will be higher. That's an advantage in comparison to OTL amps, both tube and SS! You might only get a bit less power where impedance is 8R but your speakers are quite sensitive.
For example, if you want to use the EL 34 in triode mode without fb I think you could get away with a 10K/6R transformer (i.e. 40:1 ratio). It will work fine into 4R provied it's not highly reactive, basically and practically still a 15W class A amplifier....

I can't comment on the transformer iron arguments for favouring SE, although I suspect they are nonsense.

In all other respects, PP beats SE. It must do, because for a given design effort or monetary outlay you get all the behaviour of SE plus some cancellation of even-order distortion. Unless you think that even-order distortion is a good thing in itself, or is needed to mask unavoidable odd-order distortion. Some people claim the latter, but I suspect their ears/brains actually prefer the former.

Carefully applied NFB will always improve a good amp. It cannot improve a bad amp. For this reason NFB is easier to apply to PP than SE, as the inherent distortion of PP is lower so it better satisfies the general rule: make it good, then apply feedback.

Alan0354 said:
2) In page 8 of the first paper, Mr. Vaughn claimed NFB kills the space and air between the instruments, parts and voices. Is that true?
This is either
(a) pure nonsense,
or
(b) an admission that the listener prefers to hear some distortion with his music but chooses to deny this (either through ignorance or pride),
or
(c) an admission that the designer is unable to properly design NFB.

,IMO, the best variant is SE direct connected /without filter/ to fullrange speaker wit sensitivity more 92 dB. Very, very clear, incredible and detail sound. Filters eat more of details and decrease sensitivity. I use fulranges in hornes.

I agree with azazello. Speakers are usually crucial when it comes to SE.
I have a 300B PP and 300B SE. Both are my, I love them and they designed about 15 years ago. They sound fine, I do not intend to change something.
With ScanSpeak/Dynaudio combo speakers, I like PP more. But with full range driver (without XO), SE beats in every respect.

Attachments

• 300B-SET.jpg
    300B-SET.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 267
  • PP-300B.jpg
    PP-300B.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 263
This link is provided by Shoog:

http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/dpa300B_brochure_lo_rez.pdf

Anyone try the differential push pull power amp shown in page 2 where the two power tubes are wired as LTP with CCS at the bottom?

While I've not built Allen's amplifier it was at his prodding that I added the CCS to the output stage of the 47 P-P amplifier. Have never looked back.

Since then all my amplifiers, both tube and solid state have been fully differential with CCS loading in the tail of both the input and output stages.

Does Mr Vaughn therefore claim that the audio signal delivered by the CD player has had "the space and air between the instruments" thoroughly killed before it is fed into the home stereo amplifier? Does he then imagine that it is all resurrected again by the miracle of passing the signal through an SET amplifier?

Second Law is inapplicable to high end audio.

In your case I guess they are a bit more difficult to drive but a PP amp won't have to much trouble if you consider them 4R rather 8R. The DF won't get so much worse if the primary-to-secondary ratio will be higher. That's an advantage in comparison to OTL amps, both tube and SS! You might only get a bit less power where impedance is 8R but your speakers are quite sensitive.
For example, if you want to use the EL 34 in triode mode without fb I think you could get away with a 10K/6R transformer (i.e. 40:1 ratio). It will work fine into 4R provied it's not highly reactive, basically and practically still a 15W class A amplifier....
Thanks 45, I am planning to do class A or if possible Class AB with the first 5W in Class A. But with Differential output stage, I don't think I can do Class AB anymore.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.