Question about how to wire an Isolation Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
acid_k2

What you are refering to is not a general requirement for european codes.

It is one of the protection and safety measures permited by them.

General tittle of this measure:Electrical isolation (Galvanic Isolation) and is under IEC 364 paragraph 413.5

Again, the IEC 364 is the "blueprint" of all the European applicable codes.
CENELEC has issued the Conformance Document HD 384, which every European Goverment has to adopt by issuing a National Code that will fully comply with the IEC 364.

I would like to stress the fact that this kind of connection is restricted to certain physical locations, certain usages and
accompanied by certain requirements (the most important which you described).

This is exactly the same topic I described in post#18.

Regards
George

poogie:
touching something that is earthed at the same time is not a problem. No electric shock.

Where I live, I cannot connect earth to neutral at the service panel. I must connect all earth (equipotential connections) to the house earth system. Neutral is connected to earth only in high-voltage trasformer box of the grid.

gpapag:
you are right.
But the national translation of IEC 60364 I have (CEI 64-8), at the paragraphs 413.5.2 and 413.5.3.1, said: you can't connect the chassis of separated circuit at normal earth system. It's allowed to connect it to a separated earth point.

At the end of this interesting thread:

are we speaking about an isolation transformer? yes

are we speaking about electical isolation, or galvanic isolation (safety measure for preventing electric shock during an earth fault)?
if you connect chassis to earth equipotential connection: no;
if you don't connect it, or at least you connect it at a separate earth point, yes.

But if you connect it to earth, and so there isn't electrical isolation, a controller of isolation is required (correct me if I'm wrong).

pooge said:

The purpose of an isolation transformer is NOT for ground isolation, and grounding the secondary does not inhibite the common mode filtering of the transformer. And you CANNOT connect it at a separate earth point unless that separate earth point is bonded to the ground at the service panel in the US without violating safety codes. In the US, the neutral is connected to the earth wire at the service panel also.

There are a number of reasons to use 1:1 transformer most are not for power distribution ie voltage conversion in a fixed construction. The main purpose (besides floating an AC DUT in a lab environment ) is for noise reduction and having the ability to get off a noisy ground. This requirement was the driver for a whole market of "extreme" isolation transformers. To get the best common mode reduction is having the ability to break up ground loops in a specific system. When you ground a secondary to earth you have eliminated the common mode by definition. But the common mode noise does not disappear by majick, it gets converted to transverse noise which is even more difficult to filter. The place to put the earth ground is after the last transformer in a system and that is usually not at the secondary of an extreme isolation transformer. This is a system level approach to a noise reduction problem. An electrician is not the go-to guy (expert) when you want solve these type of questions. This has been done before (TEMPEST and other qualified RF screen rooms) and is not breaking the law or a shock hazard when done properly.

IEEE 1100-8.2.1 (Emerald Book: Recommended Practice for Powering and Grounding Sensitive Electronic Equipment)
Another function of the separate windings is to provide for establishing the power ground reference close to the point of use. This greatly reduces the problem of common mode noise induced through “ground loops” or multiple current paths in the ground circuit upstream of the established reference ground point….An electrostatic shield is a conducting sheet of nonmagnetic material (copper or aluminum) connected to ground that reduces the effect of interwinding capacitive coupling between primary and secondary windings and improves the isolation transformer’s ability to isolate its load from the common mode noise present on the input power source.

Yet you say:
Originally posted by infinia
When you ground a secondary to earth you have eliminated the common mode by definition.

Please clarify if/how you differ from IEEE.

Common mode noise (from the primary system) is removed by the use of two fundamental means: breaking the ground loop and shunting common mode noise to earth by means of the e-shield. The fact that one is required to bond the secondary does not defeat the common mode immunity. Ultra-isolation transformers are no different, they are simply trading off additional guarding of the winding for leakage reactance.

Once the secondary is grounded, there is the potential for common mode noise to enter by the secondary conductors/system, not from the primary. For this reason it is recommended to bond as close to the sensitive load as possible, or even to pursue balanced power. But IEEE's best design (Figure 9-2) still has the secondary bonded per NEC requirements.

This has been done before (TEMPEST and other qualified RF screen rooms) and is not breaking the law or a shock hazard when done properly.

But those are not residential users.....

The "noisy ground" issue is a poor argument IMO. A good solution for a problematic ground grid is to improve the electrode system to the earth. Once this is properly established, robust single point grounding of all audio components should be sufficient. Isolated grounding means could be pursued to reduce the effects from nearby equipment. In fact, typical residences built with NM wire, with an audio system on a dedicated branch circuit, already ARE IG:

IEEE 1100-9.10.12.1 Wiring Means Used With IG Method
The Insulated Ground Method is only directly applicable to metal-enclosed wiring means; it has no special purpose with nonmetallic wiring systems. Nonmetallic wiring systems are inherently constructed as if they are IG, since no metal conduit/raceway is involved in the wiring path to be interconnected to the circuit’s EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor).

Your recommendations are not disputed, your application is. Your isolating suggestions are properly and legally applied with the transformers inside the equipment, not external.

zigzagflux said:

Once the secondary is grounded, there is the potential for common mode noise to enter by the secondary conductors/system, not from the primary. For this reason it is recommended to bond as close to the sensitive load as possible, or even to pursue balanced power.

That agrees with my statements almost exactly ie "bond as close to the sensitive load as possible including conversion of common mode to transverse mode. By definition means when the reference (earth ground) is connected to a winding you no longer have a differential measurement. Alternately saying - It's now a 2 wire not 3 wire system. I don' know if the IEEE has fixed solution from a general diagram without knowing what the application is and what the specifications are. Not sure maybe it's good enough for what you want/need, but surely not the best.

zigzagflux said:

But those are not residential users.....

The "noisy ground" issue is a poor argument IMO. A good solution for a problematic ground grid is to improve the electrode system to the earth. Once this is properly established, robust single point grounding of all audio components should be sufficient. Isolated grounding means could be pursued to reduce the effects from nearby equipment. In fact, typical residences built with NM wire, with an audio system on a dedicated branch circuit, already ARE IG:

Those are just two examples of the highest traceable requirements for powerline isolation and noise I could think of. Their application and techniques could be filtered or watered down for less stringent applications.
Noisy grounds are real! If you don't know this I'm not sure what to tell you. There are industries that thrive on the fact.

]Originally posted by zigzagflux

Your recommendations are not disputed, your application is. Your isolating suggestions are not legal?

I'm not saying what the application and specifications are. You tell me. All I know that without a fixed installation (perhaps called a movable appliance?), many of the codes you site are invalid.

Ok here a diagram to chew on

Attachments

• powerline isolation.gif
    powerline isolation.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 242
well ....

sakis from east electronics informed me about this post and as his employe but also electrics engineer of the NTUA ( National Technical University of Athens )

i try to follow all the posts but is very strange that so many various opinions about the same issue and diferent aspects depending on the standards and the application ....

to me more or less makes no sense ....

many things are said here and some of them quiet strange i dlike to say ....

just a couple of things .....

audio systems ( maybe others like medical systems or tools or dut in a lab ) cannot be faced as electrical loads like other electrical loads like a bulb or a radiator ....
as sakis said there might be earth loops inside our home while we give power to a lighting system but those will not create audible noises ( or the noises created can not be herd)

the other thing is that you cannot treat audio systems with cortizone IE trying to supress noises or other related issues . you simply have to find what picks them up .......

to my opinion if our friend george had noise issues i would go for a solution like double T mains filters than an isolation trafo ... ( but thats my opinion ....only )

PS
sakis and me in our young times (18-20years old and some 20 years ago ) used to make a hell of a lot of money selling to clubs dimmers that produced zero noises to the audio system .....we produced a dimmer that had probabaly 5-6 componeds and was a hell of a simple dimmer

the secret was the when we went for the installation we actually worked out all wrong earthing and loops rom the sound system and then of course our dimmer was absolutelly noisless .....

regards sierramike

Re: well ....

sierramike said:

the other thing is that you cannot treat audio systems with cortizone IE trying to supress noises or other related issues . you simply have to find what picks them up .......

I agree... Best to silience or shunt the noise at the source. But maybe in residential apts or condo can't do too much or too expensive to run a dedicated ckt. But sometimes the cheapest solution is a well implemented grounding scheme with a good isolation transformer (to power from an existing dirty ckt). Cheaper to run a single clean ground than a whole dedicated ckt.

infinia said:
All I know that without a fixed installation (perhaps called a movable appliance?), many of the codes you site are invalid.

Tell you what. I've presented multiple code references. Those codes govern the entire electrical system, stopping at cord and plug connected equipment that is listed or approved for use (see post 35). Those codes are not my opinions, they are fact. They have stated, without exception, that 120V residential receptacles cannot float, but must be solidly grounded. You have presented your opinions about what is permitted, but have absolutely no proof.

Your challenge is to come up with ONE single code reference that permits you to float a power strip in a residential environment. That is what this thread has been debating from the start. Don't stray off into tangents about what works best, common mode noise, etc. You present illegal suggestions, and have not provided any citation that says otherwise. Sorry, a drawing without citing the source doesn't cut it.

Once you are inside a single cord and plug connected piece of equipment, fine.

If your response is "I don't care about the code", that's fine. But you can't say it's permitted; you have not proven it in the face of many references that say otherwise.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
how does the 110Vac isolating transformer used on site for multiple portable tools achieve safe use?

The transformer and the tools are both used outdoors subject to all the vagaries of UK weather.

Don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but we use sensitive equipment in sloppy construction environments. Constantly tripping GFCI's because we apply test voltages from 1kV to 100kV to grounded equipment (insulation tests).

Solution is to use an isolation transformer to break this ground path. Yes, the secondary is bonded.

Is this what you are referring to? And if you are talking a construction/commercial/industrial environment, then a floating secondary may be possible. In the US, that would be covered by 29CFR-1910, or NFPA 70.

zigzagflux said:

Once you are inside a single cord and plug connected piece of equipment, fine.

That's what we are all talking about here from post one. But you to seem the view the world only from an electrical contractors or worse a building inspectors point of view. Instead of helping, your rather myopic posts IMO just keep on hindering and confusing the issue (ie GFCI). Read my first post in this thread.

Rather than dismissimg the diagram I posted (Did you even look at it) can't you comment on it's merits for clean power?

infinia said:

That's what we are all talking about here from post one. But you to seem the view the world only from an electrical contractors or worse a building inspectors point of view. Instead of helping, your rather myopic posts IMO just keep on hindering and confusing the issue (ie GFCI). Read my first post in this thread.

Rather than dismissimg the diagram I posted (Did you even look at it) can't you comment on it's merits for clean power?

Then read post #3. I think we can only assume a power strip with outlets here. If you have outlets, you'd better have a grounded earth, and a neutral bonded to earth in those sockets. Simple as that.

pooge said:

Then read post #3. I think we can only assume a power strip with outlets here. If you have outlets, you'd better have a grounded earth, and a neutral bonded to earth in those sockets. Simple as that.
No
These are considered "appliances" like UPS and other power devices that are simply covered by UL CSA if/and only if you are going for listing or certification, as you should if you are going to sell them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.