QUAD 405 clone

Does movin the leads to the volume pot make any difference to the hum, I built a Quad 405 clone more than 30 years ago and found it necessary to dress the power supply DC ground and input wires together to prevent a hum loop or at least minimise its ares. The 405s have very neat wireing some of which is to prevent hum.

Stuart

Currently, I don't use the pot. It goes direct to the RCA. Each channel is independent.

I also finished to restore my old 405.

I'll compare later. ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_2510.jpeg
    IMG_2510.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 1,032
  • IMG_2125.jpeg
    IMG_2125.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 1,026
  • IMG_2508.jpeg
    IMG_2508.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:
Hi.

Try to replace fried resistors with bpr56 0.25R 5w one, you can find them pretty cheap direct from China.
Measure voltage unloaded before to use.
0.25R is the value I got from the same +/-45v PSU.

I think il'll do some maths but I think 6.8k/100k/150n in an inverting opamp stage give close to the same ratio than original 22k/330k/47n.

Hi I just get a pair of those green 405-2 boards to give a try.
Here is the schematics I think (I checked).

What do you think of the r2 resistor if input is not connected to chassis, can I replace it with a jumper?

Attachments

• QUAD405-2.png
    QUAD405-2.png
    373.2 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:
Hello,

I recieved my pcb today. First, diagram did not correspond to PCB (TOP3 transistor VS TO3 implantation).

I pointed clone vs legit composants and found differents values for
R10
R2
R27/R29
C19 new

If C19 appear to protect from oscillation, I would like to check that resistances mods was only due to transistors update.
I have BDY58 or 2N3773 transistors : do I use legit or clone values ?

thanks

Attachments

• Clone VS Legit.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 570
AndrewT's (RIP) answer was in relation to a grounding question. He is obviously talking about the ground side of the capacitors, in which case it is not nonsense, but standard wiring arrangement for a dual rail supply.

He is talking about the centre tap of the transformer, which should be grounded, and the 'input side', whatever that is, of the PSU caps: assuming he means the rail sides, they should be connected to the rectifier + and -, not directly to the transformer; and if by 'output side' he means ground he should say so.

Hi Guys

I need a bit of help. I have build Keith Snook's Mod 3 design. Made my own pcb layout and boards. The proto type works very well. I how ever are not very positive about the crowbar protection. My research/readings re this type of protection is not positive. I do have a very nice dc protection/soft start circuit that i do want to use but it needs to be connected in Paralell across the output coil and resistor normally found on most standard amp designs. Am I correct that I will need to connect this circuit across coil 2, the output side, and R20//R21, the TR2 side of Keith's Mod 3 circuit.

2 in 1