Quad 11L filter & cabinet upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh so I have to be precise;
original caps was written 8.2 but are 9.2 for one and 9.3 for the other.
I don't know if I do good in making these caps real 8.2 or if Quad does it purposly... but it was quite good and well balanced magazines said...
(big cap on tweeter was written 20 but are 22, replaced by 22 so no prob here...)
Between the 1R5 and 1R6 resistors, twilight zone's 4.7 film caps...

Maybe this "upper midrange" issue is the reason of my feeling it's louder "somewhere in the half top" and "half bottom" is gone away a bit?

Maybe fever drives me crazy...

Matthieu

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
TheShaman said:

Yeap. ;)
Will probably upgrade the x-over components as well at some point but I have other projects running at the moment. :smash:

Whatever you do for upgrade, mind to keep the original caps and / or coils, resistors, cabling, in store. Many times, for speakers build to a moderate price, budget components are well voiced to a target tonality, that it can be still desired, even if higher spec components improve some aspects. It takes several trial on error sessions with some good components to find a surely coherent upgrade recipe.

poynton said:
Looking at the original photos, makes me wonder if the speakers had been "repaired" at some time prior to sale.

I will have to check mine at home when I get back.
(My first pair were damaged and were returned to QUAD.)

Andy

Well a french shop had some for showroom wich were... faulty!
I'm about to buy the foam as I'm near Paris on my travel back from Algeria, then having some music and final report :)
Anyway the sound is very pleasant now as its more fluent and less "square", time as done its work :)

Sadly the eBay's Quad are not in France, that could be challenging to fix and... cheap!

All is done!
The sound mat: same thing as found under car's carpet.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cut in one piece, tight fit on top, back and one side. Added bitumen on bottom.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What the sound mat brought: same as the XO but on bottom/mids : better space, details, also like when a bass guitar plays some frequency/notes they sounded boomy and too loud before, and some where " killed ", now they just sounds like a bass note! Also, voices are cleaner, I can even guess in what kind of room the voice was recorder, the hall is felt!

The modded 11Ls sounds far better in all ways. The key words should be air, space, speed & life.
They're still 11Ls, bottom is missing (not that fat bottom created by wall tricks), imaging is not stable when you move (or breath!).
Until I've got money to afford better speakers I'me very happy with these small boxes.

Matthieu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.