Quad 11L filter & cabinet upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SimontY said:

Hi Lee,

That looks like a lovely DIY project :)

The best thing about it, is that there's no need for a crossover and they image fantastically as they're a single-point source. Great bass aswell.

Matthieu, I would re-make the crossover on a piece of board and hard-wire the components together. The gains won't be huge, but it all adds up.

Lee.

Hi Simon,

I won't go too far as the speakers are not the top of the market, will go "wise and matched" ;)
The foam inside will be replaced by a very good green one, still in order, and caps will I think just be replaced on the PCB. Or wood sheet...
I've ordered for the two caps in serie with the tweeter ClarityCap PX and for the one in // an APW. They made a mistake and send me APW for some PX :'(
Waiting for them now...

Hello Matthieu,

I think Claritycaps are an excellent choice, I just installed some in my cheaper speakers:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116948

Your speakers are in a different league but they're both small 2-ways and many of the same upgrades will apply (to some extent).

The main differences between your £400 speakers and my £70 ones will be in the tweeter series cap and mid/woofer, two exceptionally important parts.

As you can see I'm happy with my £18 worth of upgrades and intend to do more.

I'd be very curious to know how the green foam stuff sounds for you.

Simon

The filter is upgraded.
First, the cone damaged by my son some years before. Anayway, I like my Quad but hate some of their flaws: the image is very unstable, you must sit on the seat just in front of them and stop breathing! Also they lack presence at the bottom.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is the new customers' respect of manufacturer: two important caps are... not the same in each speakers! And 5µF one and 4.6 for the other...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is the filter, these big caps where like sardines in a can...

Sound: imaging seems even harder to keep stable :'(
The details improved, the space also and in a complexe or loaded music such fortissimo orchestra's playing it's more articulate. Sound of winds (?! in french " cuivres ") or strings sound better and notes are hold thighter and are faster.
Backdraw, it seems a bit too sharp and fast now, rough or harsh is too much to describe this, but can it be "just out of the box" caps?
I just hope the improvment of the cabinet (damping stuff) will temper a bit this.

To be continued...

Matthieu

Malefoda said:
Here is the new customers' respect of manufacturer: two important caps are... not the same in each speakers! And 5µF one and 4.6 for the other...

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry about it.
I have a pair of 21L's. I'll open them up and report my findings. :smash:

Keep us updated. ;)

Malefoda said:
Hi,
I've been said that the MOX resistors make the tweeter more excited when the sugar one keep it relaxed. Any toughts?

MOX are nothing special, neither are the "sugar" ones lol

I'd never use either, as it costs very little to put better ones (Kiwame 5w) in. Kiwame are carbon and very tight tolerance (not typical carbons), and they have a sweet sound. I'd recommend them, strongly.

Simon

ps - my upgrades are "bedding in" nicely and I'd say the brightness is wearing off and being replaced by a clean, sweet top end - don't lose hope ;)

Look at the Kiwame's manufacturer's website, no distributor in France...
Anyway, I've fitted back the sugars as it is an easy task, and they remain in waiting for the cabinet damping operation.
Change, minimum and maybe in my head, is that they make the highs less present, a more homogenic sound. I don't think the fact that (oh yes once again, a shame for Quad...) the resistors found in each filter are diffrent (manufacturer for they feature diffrent size, value (1.5 and 1.6...) can lower the volume, even if 1R6 should...

Hi fellows,
surviving the night I've checked:
built back an OEM filter in one Quad and full tweaked XO in the other, aslo did damping back of cabinet.

With a good mono record, Verdi's Requiem, the OEM side sounds like a blur point with "too many things", makes feel more "heavy", other side shows clearly many instruments and fast come and go notes, more in your face sounds, mainly highs ( wind & strings ). It's like the tweeter can do much more, has been set free, and boomer can't, so now tweeter is in front where boomer is at pain...

May I temper the tweeter with something like 1R8?
maybe the next damping step (french special audio wool) will do?

Thanks
Matthieu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.