Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Inductor DIY

zettelsm said:

Thank you, ZM. Good calculator. However I was hoping for some application background, like (electrical) size and what other factors would be important for power supply inductors -- like for the Pumpkin-Shunty for example.

Or your own tube preamp. . .

:D

Thanks,

Steve Z

in most cases just mileage (xperience) can tell what is right mix of L/Rdc/cost/dimensions you'll choose

usually :

L - more - the merrier

Rdc - depending of overall I your circ is sucking , sometimes you want to burn few V more in choke itself etc ....... but without overheating it

and - overheating is directly related to -cost- and -dimensions- , which we usually want to keep veeeeeeery low . both of them ;)

anyway - Magura-san is man of big words (mouth?) and big chokes ; probably just because he just don't have small machines for winding , so he just must use big cores/formers and thick wire :devilr:

in any case - if you are cheapskate as I am , you'll find as much you can old xformers and use them for winding ;

I wrote numerous times exact recipe how to make nice little 8-10mH choke for CLC filters , good up to 5-6 amps......

anyway - just shoot with exact question and I'm sure that someone will be smart enough to write few words as answer ........ :clown:

edit:

big currents (say above 500mA ) - think in mHenries

small currents (say below 500mA ) - think in Henries

Re: Inductor DIY

zettelsm said:

Thank you, ZM. Good calculator. However I was hoping for some application background, like (electrical) size and what other factors would be important for power supply inductors -- like for the Pumpkin-Shunty for example.

Or your own tube preamp. . .

:D

Thanks,

Steve Z

Give me some specs to meet, and I'll tell you how to meet them :cool:

Magura :)

Re: Re: Inductor DIY

Magura said:

Give me some specs to meet, and I'll tell you how to meet them :cool:

Magura :)

Thanks Mr. Magura -- that is the problem though, I am too dumb to know what specs are important right now (DCR obviously) or what kind of mH makes sense for I and E of a given power supply.

What I would like to do is wind myself some inductors to use with the Pumpkin Shunty preamp. Longer term, I would like to learn enough so that I can properly size and build inductors for tube power supplies. . .

I dont want someone to just give me the answer, I would like to learn how to figure out the answer myself.

Steve Z

:dead: