Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:
As Jacco point it out, because of my nice dagnall 2x50V tranny, it would be of advantage to have some volt loss before first reg in shunty (in order to avoid too much dissipation).
Which change concerning R21 to R24 would be fine/allowed for this purpose?

naah......... just let them bleed ....... (AC - Welcome to my nightmare -greatest cabare album I heard ......... ;) )

put bigger sinks , and be sure that first elkos have enough voltage

Manu said:

(no soldering today, too busy at work, so no time for real life...)

crazy frenchie ;)

Manu said:
This pic is for Isa :

:clown:

yup - she likes Marsupilami ....... one of fave cartoons in last several months

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:

Yes, but have to find more suitable (sizewize).
Shunty will be my ruin. But worth it!!!

(Actually I didn't really want to post attached pic, because it's not reallly interesting and antiOT fraktion is severe here,
and as joke it is only low level.
But the color is fine, no?)

Manu

50x1,41=~70V

ya have 45 V after series reg, so - dissipation per each series mosfet is (70-45) x .15 = 3,75W .......... piece of cake for little one - I think that even with mentioned heatsinks, they will be fine .

ask crazy Metaldanske - Magura ..........

:rofl:

edit :

I like that pic ;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:
Thank you.
(Probieren geht über studieren)

A propos Magura, I remember having visited a site with pics where Magura was doing strange but beaûtiful things in a foundery.
Unfortunately lost the link....

Manu

what's "foundery" ?

anyway - I think that you'll not wait much ...... he'll show and put link to his fugly gallery

:devilr:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:

:bawling: my english is :smash:
Sorry
I mean a place where smart people are smelting (?) metal.

mpmarino said:

hehehe

ya mean - "where crazy Metaldanske abusing metal "

edit ....

ya can always write on Eustahian or Bleui , we have Jaccotrans here ....

now I know ......... :rofl: what's hidden meaning of Babelfish J

Manu said:

Yes, but have to find more suitable (sizewize).
Shunty will be my ruin. But worth it!!!

(Actually I didn't really want to post attached pic, because it's not reallly interesting and antiOT fraktion is severe here,
and as joke it is only low level.
But the color is fine, no?)

Manu

Manu, that heatsink is not a lot too big, the Pumpkin/Shunty does get pretty hot in use;) You better keep an eye on the temp of those heatsinks that cool Q1/Q1a also. Mine passed the 60 deg C. mark easily, with no lid on:hot:
(I am running 48 V AC under full load, 48-0-48, no load is 50V so the supply sacks 2 volts with the Pampkin connected)

:)

mpmarino : But if it doesn't destroy us, it will make us stronger.:D

(used to say my grand ma. Grand-pa believed in another maxim:
"il n'est pas nécessaire d'espérer pour entreprendre ni de réussir pour perséverer"
which I don't dare to translate myself out of angst I could abuse its resigned wisdom.)
Manu

steenoe said:

Manu, that heatsink is not a lot too big, the Pumpkin/Shunty does get pretty hot in use;) You better keep an eye on the temp of those heatsinks that cool Q1/Q1a also. Mine passed the 60 deg C. mark easily, with no lid on:hot:
(I am running 48 V AC under full load, 48-0-48, no load is 50V so the supply sacks 2 volts with the Pampkin connected)

:)

:hot:

Thanks a lot ,
oh yes, sure I ll keep an eye on temp.
Refering to what you say, I am afraid that just a sheet of Al (event if thick) will not suffice at this place. Although, we will see. As Tarzan used to say : probieren geht über studieren.

Manu

btw:
only the 2281 types show up at RS-C if you narrow down the choice by selecting ptfe as dielectric.
The 100pF type goes as high as $40, but basically only differs by having dust protection.

The Valvo-808 type is the 80s ancestor of these things, but the 808 was completely open style. (Valvo was a HQ Philips branch)
Back then, audio "experts" advised against using trimmer caps in ampy circuits, because of the un-reliability.
The modern types with the plastic encasing do not have that drawback and it's easy to find even fancy plugs that go over the top to fully close it, which makes them outlive the amp.
The trimmer caps used to be nice for adjusting Cdom compensation in regular Vas stuff (mumble mumble, and they sound good)

(bonus speech : 2 small trannies are less "visible" than 1 biggy, unless they wear high heels)