Pros and cons of different midbass horns

I find double 15's (non horn) crossed 24db LR @800hz to a 2' wide mouth horn for a 1.4" compression driver works fine.

Wanting horn loading down to 100hz, that would be something to try...But maybe an altec 815 (pair of 15's side by side), box is 44" tall x 33" wide x 32" deep.
"They're not doorway friendly, they weigh a ton, and they don't drop low enough to stand on their own for musical SR. But, if you want to hear a drum kit with dynamics that will involuntarily blink your eyes, or a gritty lead that will work your fillings loose, 815's would be a good choice."
High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Personally I would't consider using two drivers next to each other when crossed over at 500-600 Hz.

I'm leaning toward using one single midbass driver with a hyperbolic profile. Stacked vertically and with a separate bass system crossed over at the frequency which gives me the most even response. I'm also in the process of getting a frontloaded subhorn built (Tuba HT). That's for another setup but it will give me the experience of a horn for the lowest frequencies.

Next weekend I'll hopefully get to listen to a dual conical horn similar to the one showed at post #16 in thise thread, and I will listen to the J-horn (similar to JBL 4560) a weekend or two later. I will not make a decision before this.

Also, those 815 horns are probably opening to fast to have enough compression (correct word?). That was what was wrong with the Avantgarde Trio midbass horn. My horns have a smaller throat, and have only one driver in them. One could place two single horns on top of each other to move more air.

I like those midbass horns in post #16.

If I'm right, 34" deep (1/4 wavelength of 112hz), maybe 5.7ft2 total mouth.
2 horns each close to 27.5" wide and 15" tall.

8ft2 of mouth is needed for 100hz in 4pi or free air (I'm estimating), 4ft2 of mouth for 2pi (coming out of the middle of the floor), so sitting on a concrete slab (not 2pi, I call it 3pi), I'd want to see 6ft2 mouth for 100hz.

Nice build.

Norman

Joined 2008
Paid Member
How many pies in the bake shop?

I like those midbass horns in post #16.

If I'm right, 34" deep (1/4 wavelength of 112hz), maybe 5.7ft2 total mouth.
2 horns each close to 27.5" wide and 15" tall.

8ft2 of mouth is needed for 100hz in 4pi or free air (I'm estimating), 4ft2 of mouth for 2pi (coming out of the middle of the floor), so sitting on a concrete slab (not 2pi, I call it 3pi), I'd want to see 6ft2 mouth for 100hz.

Nice build.

Norman

Hi Norman,
I agree, that is quite the impressive build from the fella in Norway. I love the multiple thicknesses of plywood, as I have always felt the use of single piece construction too flimsy to support the very difficult and powerful mid bass. Can we assume the term 2pi for a mid bass horn mouth exiting very near to the floor, but NOT close to a corner? If so, and using 4 square feet as the reference for 100Hz, then how much for 80 Hz, and then again 60Hz ?
(I wonder)

By the way, I think corner loading is just one pie :)

btw the Bert Doppenberg 4x15 vented cabs are replaced by these hornloaded Eighteensound 21" LW1400 to cover the range from 75Hz and down
sensitivity@20 is 92db
best
Leif

Attachments

• SUB horna på plass.jpg
    SUB horna på plass.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,092
these subhorns are in another league all together and eleveted the entire system to new hights!
enormous capacity! continous 135db@30
like a V-8 engine on a perambulator cruising along...
just breathing the deeper frequencies
semivented rearchamber makes easy load and dipole advantages in the room
they´re designed by a well known guy called Rune Skramstad who did these
he designed them as a custom job for me and a friend
best
Leif

Attachments

• Mollascene-for-web.jpg
    Mollascene-for-web.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 775
  • Runes gårdsplass!.jpg
    Runes gårdsplass!.jpg
    883.1 KB · Views: 746
Rewind:

I have found that the original Altec 515b is the best sounding 15" woofer in the mid bass -low midrange when horn loaded in a hypex horn. 80hz to 450-500hz no problem. I have tried several jbl woofers and the Altec was a lot better. You could check out the Great Plains Audio's remake of the 515b in their " classic " speaker line.

Rewind:

I have found that the original Altec 515b is the best sounding 15" woofer in the mid bass -low midrange when horn loaded in a hypex horn. 80hz to 450-500hz no problem. I have tried several jbl woofers and the Altec was a lot better. You could check out the Great Plains Audio's remake of the 515b in their " classic " speaker line.

Thanks, it is on my list! :)

btw the Bert Doppenberg 4x15 vented cabs are replaced by these hornloaded Eighteensound 21" LW1400 to cover the range from 75Hz and down
sensitivity@20 is 92db
best
Leif

I saw your article in Watt (Norwegian hifi magazine). I have been looking for articles about horns for a long time. I thought it was great how you managed to make two midbass horns so compact. I have one similar midbass roundhorn on each sice, and I do feel it could use an extra midbass horn to push more air. But then the smaller horns would hit the ceiling if I keep them vertical.

Does the horn sub sound cleaner than the 4x15", or do you hear some anomalies because of the long horns? Some people are very against sub bass horns (i.e. The Cat).

I use a 12" Eminence LAB12 sealed sub, and I think it is good for now, but it is not very musical. I get more of a home theater type of sound.

remember I came from 12 years with Avantgarde Trios and realised the FLH had to be square.....D´Appolito with two round tractrix 100Hz horns is plain impractical
the stacked FLH measures much smoother than a single with better extension....a guy nearby with same horns and drivers get extension to 60 in smaller room
also the stacked gives me the sensitivity to almost match the TAD 4001 in JMLC270 with 112db...only have to take down the TAD by 2-3db and the 2001 in JMLC1400 is dead on....making passive filters simple...only Northcreek 8awg coils and Mundorf silver in oil caps
yes the sub is a lot cleaner, but some people claim the BD towers to have had more funfactor, but I feel that was more of a colouration..
the Eighteensound 21" LW1400 is very musical and differentiates bass harmonics very detalied and relaxed....just breathing under 75....and the 92db sensitivity at 20 is exceptional....
the alu curved reinforcements are cruisial though...Rune said he´d tried with curved baltic ply, but they coloured the sound when exposed to the pressure inside the curves
delay and phase is no problem under 75 Hz .if you lie down with your nose against the joint between the FLH and the sub opening with one ear against each opening, and your extremely experienced, you might sense there´s some fractional time difference, but it´s nothing you ever think about when you listen to music
and you won´t miss the 10K cables either......
best
Leif