• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pros and cons of Cascoded front ends

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, then, remove the 1u/470k from the upper tube's grid circuit. Remove the 620R resistors. Substitute a 1.2V drop IR LED for the bottom 620R. Build a CCS set for 1.5mA (adjustable will help here- the diyAudio/Morgan Jones cascode ones will be perfect for this). Connect one end to the 300V source, the other end to the pad where the 620R used to be that's connected to pin 5 (the lower tube's plate). From that junction, jumper to pin 2. This leaves the top section unused and connects the plate of the bottom section to the phase splitter.

Adjust the CCS to get something like 120V or so at the cathode of the 6SN7 phase splitter. That ought to be a bit more optimal.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
I have modeled with LTspice (but never built) a Morgan Jones 'Beta Follower' using a 6SL7. This is a mu follower with a PNP transistor wired as a crude but effective pseudo-CCS to serve as a plate load for the lower triode, in place of the usual resistor.

The reason I went for that design was shortage of B+, which meant it would be unrealistic to have a high value load resistor for the lower triode. Gain and linearity seemed very good, and I believe it would make an excellent direct-coupled front end to a Mullard-style splitter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.