Project: Angulum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks great! I'd like to see more bracing in a cabinet of this size, but I'd guess it'll cross over quite low so it may not matter too much. Keep up the good work :up:

Yeah im thinking the same, but when i knock on the cabinet now it sounds good! In the worst case i can always add more later :)
Im going to cross over att 80 or 100hz!

Thanks!

Meow?

Very nice design and good build! Forgot the carpet pad, it's performance(or lack of) does not match the quality of your project. Buy this:

Bonded Logic - Manufacturer of Environmentally Friendly Insulation and Padding Products

or one the similar products by other manufacturers. I am always amazed at how many DIY and professional designs use inferior internal absorption. Having something in there that is truly a broadband absorber makes a world of difference to the clarity of the final product.

I generally use the 4" thick stuff on the rear wall and along the sides of the enclosure.

Greg

Denim is better than Sonic Barrier or Sonex?

So i'm starting a new project, it's a three way floorstander named after the latin word for angle. I will be using these drivers:

Tweeter: Scan Speak Illuminator R3004/602000
Mid: Accuton 6.5in, C173-8-094
Bass: Scan speak 10" 26W/4558T00

This will be crossed over by two minidsp:s, one for the tweeter and mid and one for the bass.

This is the design i will try to achieve. I can post more pics if you want to but the size is aprox 110cm high and at the widest point 32cm, and about 40cm deep.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hopefully i will start to cut some mdf this week. Im waiting for europe audio to send the woofers. I already got the tweeters and mids.

So please tell me what you think:) Should i change something in the design while i still can?

Regards
Sebastian

Why did you choose this particular cabinet shape?

Looking very nice Tiger. I can see Shinobiwan's influence in your design.
I'd add further bracing, especially front-to-back under the woofer.

Interesting choice of tweeter. What are your crossover frequencies/slopes?

Thanks!

I think i will add some later :)

Interesting as in bad :)?
Since im crossing actively im going to try different freq/slopes! But somewhere around 2500 i think!

/Sebastian

awesome design Tiger.
i see that you r embedding neo magnets to hold e grills.
it might be a little late to suggest that it is best glue em in their pockets with say epoxy.
takin e grills off repeatedly might gradually rip em out.

also they tend to gather ferromagnetic dust n pull em into the finish if u leave e grills off.

more pics pls!

xianyang

awesome design Tiger.
i see that you r embedding neo magnets to hold e grills.
it might be a little late to suggest that it is best glue em in their pockets with say epoxy.
takin e grills off repeatedly might gradually rip em out.

also they tend to gather ferromagnetic dust n pull em into the finish if u leave e grills off.

more pics pls!

xianyang

I secured them with mixture of whiteglue and sawdust+bondo on top so i think (hope) they will hold in place! And i think the grills will me on most of the time :)

Thats a bigger problem thou! But i think when that happens i will have built new speakers :)

I'l post some more pics then! Sorry for the bad quality of the pics btw. But i dont want to drag my Leica out to the workshop :)

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

It takes so long time for the paint to dry so thats why the progress is a bit slow!

/Sebastian

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Tony,

Another great alternative to t-nuts are threaded inserts. These simply knock into a pre-drilled hole and really grab. I have had issues with t-nuts in mdf before but have had no problems with these. Great if your a bit heavy handed when tightening screws like me.

M8x23mm Headed Knock-In Threaded Insert (20 pieces) | eBay

That would also be an excellent option! I've got something similar in the bottom of the cabinets for the feet, but they are blind.

Looking good Sebastian, and I wouldn't call it slow progress at all!!!

Tony.

Yeah, it's a great tool I have one as well. I meant to ask about bevel angles greater than 45 (which result in a less than 45 degree angle with respect to the plane of the cut piece). To do this, I ended up having to use a table saw and cutting the piece up on it's edge, but would love a safe way to do this with the track saw..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.