Project: Angulum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i'm starting a new project, it's a three way floorstander named after the latin word for angle. I will be using these drivers:

Tweeter: Scan Speak Illuminator R3004/602000
Mid: Accuton 6.5in, C173-8-094
Bass: Scan speak 10" 26W/4558T00

This will be crossed over by two minidsp:s, one for the tweeter and mid and one for the bass.

This is the design i will try to achieve. I can post more pics if you want to but the size is aprox 110cm high and at the widest point 32cm, and about 40cm deep.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hopefully i will start to cut some mdf this week. Im waiting for europe audio to send the woofers. I already got the tweeters and mids.

So please tell me what you think:) Should i change something in the design while i still can?

Regards
Sebastian

Well not the best response:)

Here are some pics of the work iv'e done so far!
I let the pics talk for themselves.

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

/Sebastian

Hi Sebastion.
Nice project, certainly envy your woodworking facilities.
Good to see you've gone for a fully sealed enclosure, I'd be tempted to add a bit of bracing across the two larger flat panels.
And natural fibre carpet underlay (not the rubber stuff) for the interior.
Regards
Henry

Hi Sebastion.
Nice project, certainly envy your woodworking facilities.
Good to see you've gone for a fully sealed enclosure, I'd be tempted to add a bit of bracing across the two larger flat panels.
And natural fibre carpet underlay (not the rubber stuff) for the interior.
Regards
Henry

Hi!
Thank you :)

No worries, the braces are cut out i just wanted to close the box before i put them in, il take pics today of them!

The backside, top and of course the baffle (double 19mm mdf) is very solid!

The usually green colored felt thing you mean? If so il buy some now and put in!

/Sebastian

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Nice work so far.

The woofer had me fooled there for a second, I was thinking it was a peerless XXLS but nope its the new discovery sub. Thumbs up for the going with a sealed design. I'm a big fan of sealed despite its short comings!

I hope you enjoy them once they're complete.

BTW Why 2 minidsps? It'd be cleaner to go with the 2x8 rather than a couple of 2x4. You also get the advantage of 96Khz processing instead of 48Khz.

Nice work so far.

The woofer had me fooled there for a second, I was thinking it was a peerless XXLS but nope its the new discovery sub. Thumbs up for the going with a sealed design. I'm a big fan of sealed despite its short comings!

I hope you enjoy them once they're complete.

BTW Why 2 minidsps? It'd be cleaner to go with the 2x8 rather than a couple of 2x4. You also get the advantage of 96Khz processing instead of 48Khz.

Thank you! I will admit that i am truly inspired by your work!

I already got them and i have built the amps, the bass amp is two 1000w abletec modules and one minidsp, and the other amp is one 4x100w sureelectronics module and one minidsp.

So if i upgrade the amp module for the top speakers i can make them active speakers with one dsp in each speaker :)

I can post pics of the amps too if you want?

/Sebastian

Very nice design and good build! Forgot the carpet pad, it's performance(or lack of) does not match the quality of your project. Buy this:

Bonded Logic - Manufacturer of Environmentally Friendly Insulation and Padding Products

or one the similar products by other manufacturers. I am always amazed at how many DIY and professional designs use inferior internal absorption. Having something in there that is truly a broadband absorber makes a world of difference to the clarity of the final product.

I generally use the 4" thick stuff on the rear wall and along the sides of the enclosure.

Greg

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nice work so far Sebastion!! its an ambitious project and it certainly looks like you've got what it takes to pull it off!

edit: I like the t-nuts, I'll have to do that next time. epoxying in normal nuts just doesn't work so well ;)
Tony.

Last edited:
Very nice design and good build! Forgot the carpet pad, it's performance(or lack of) does not match the quality of your project. Buy this:

Bonded Logic - Manufacturer of Environmentally Friendly Insulation and Padding Products

or one the similar products by other manufacturers. I am always amazed at how many DIY and professional designs use inferior internal absorption. Having something in there that is truly a broadband absorber makes a world of difference to the clarity of the final product.I generally use the 4" thick stuff on the rear wall and along the sides of the enclosure.

Greg

I will see if i can find something similar here in Sweden. Is Rockwool an alternative otherwise?

Nice work so far Sebastion!! its an ambitious project and it certainly looks like you've got what it takes to pull it off!

edit: I like the t-nuts, I'll have to do that next time. epoxying in normal nuts just doesn't work so well ;)
Tony.

Yes the t-nuts are fantastic i wont use anything else from now :)

Great work Tiger.

I assume your going to use some sort of outrigger at the base? something to counter the top heavy stance?

Regards
Dean

I don't think so, the base seems quite steady but we will see when i put on the mid/top cab!

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I will post some new pictures on monday hopefully!

/Sebastian

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I like the t-nuts, I'll have to do that next time. epoxying in normal nuts just doesn't work so well ;)
Tony.

Hi Tony,

Another great alternative to t-nuts are threaded inserts. These simply knock into a pre-drilled hole and really grab. I have had issues with t-nuts in mdf before but have had no problems with these. Great if your a bit heavy handed when tightening screws like me.

M8x23mm Headed Knock-In Threaded Insert (20 pieces) | eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.