Preventing Sansui AU-X1 output stage oscillation burn out

the non-linear base-collector junction capacitance.
Since the signal is between base and emitter then what is the practical influence of that BC junction capacitance non-linearity that needs fixing?

But ok, since this discussion is straying away from the main topic then from my side we can close it here - it is unlikely that I will become an expert on that level ;)

madis64 said:
Since the signal is between base and emitter then what is the practical influence of that BC junction capacitance non-linearity that needs fixing?
This is getting beyond my expertise, but non-linearity can cause unexpected gain resulting in oscillation. (I am an electrical engineer, but my field is computer architecture. I can tell that quite a few members here specialized in signals or devices).
Ed

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I put some notes together on EF instability based on Cordell's book and my own experience. Its not perfect, but it does provide some general guidelines about how to make an EF3 bulletproof.

1710950968700.png

Here is the oscillation WITHOUT EF3 instability precautions :-

1710951066121.png

I used 10-15 nH PCB trace inductances in this model, whereas Cordell used 35nH in his which will in general result in lower oscillation frequencies. On small signal emitter followers, I've had problems at 180 MHz, and on a beta helper in a VAS circuit, 20-40 MHz. My first EF3 in 2006 oscillated at 4 MHz (used MJ21193/4 output devices) which was cured with base stoppers in the output devices and a 22 Ohm and 1nF driver base damping network. I've not had a EF3 problem since then, using the simple techniques 1-4 outlined in the 1st graphic above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I put some notes together on EF instability based on Cordell's book and my own experience. Its not perfect, but it does provide some general guidelines about how to make an EF3 bulletproof.
Thanks for doing that. I knew about base resistors and collector decoupling.

By now, I have seen on this board examples of everything that can go wrong in amplifiers. I look back on my design as having avoided all pitfalls, mostly by skill but sometimes by luck. :)
Ed

Reactions: 1 user