Preamp ideas for F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
some more gain

Hi,

i just build this pre for my F5.
But i need some more gain, say -6db
which resistors have to be changed? - without sonic decrease...:)

or is there a good sounding pre schematic) with slightly more gain

thanks a lot

Years old thread.... But has as a snappy title!.. search friendly.
Want to thank Juma for all the schematic's and information, simple circuits with good explanations.
I was looking around today because I need some gain, mostly use computers for source and many amps just don't put out much with a .5vac signal, its not enough. found this and made it.
Looked at many others but settled on this one to try out. Its going infront of a Pre with Jfet inputs.

My 2SK170 are 9.2 IDSS, so changed 33R CCS resistors to 51R to lower current, its now 6.4ma each with +-18V supply's so 70% ..... thinking of going to 43R to get that a bit higher

Sig gen has a bit of noise, need new cable for it. But the wave is nice and sharp. used a 39K load resistor.

Hello Juma,
Here is a version of pcb for your pre as per post 53.
I have included pot (RK09L-alps japan) and input cap (5mm pitch poly).
I have included the psu on the pcb itself. Is it ok? I have connected all input side grounds with a copper pour and made a star of output ground, psu ground (regulator) and input ground.

regards
prasi
i have tried to make it visually simple. viewed from component side.

Attachments

• JUMA PREAMP-lay.png
    JUMA PREAMP-lay.png
    226.2 KB · Views: 742
  • JUMA PREAMP-sch.png
    JUMA PREAMP-sch.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Hi,
I have amplifier with Zin=47kohm and need increase the level of input RCA signal from 1V RMS to 2V RMS Could I use the circuit from #53 and adjust R9,8 to reach appropriate gain? If this is bad idea and there are better options could you please recommend me another circuit based on jfet in input? Thanks in advance,
bern

Hi,
I would like to try the schematic from #53
I was looking for BC550C/BC560C bjt transistors but they are difficult to acquire. I thought maybe instead of TO-92 transistors I should try SMD versions (which theoretically should be easier to buy).
What low noise SMD transistors do you recommend instead of BC550C/BC560C?
Thanks, B

I found one of my old prototypes, the all-BJT version of preamp shown in post #53 of this thread and I wanted to hear how does it sound 12 years after. I put it in my preamp-testbed and surprisingly, it's not bad at all - precise and lovely, nice to listen to.
This version has gain of 12dB (4V/V) and swings about 5V RMS max. at output, Zin is about 100k and Zout is a somewhat less than 100 R so it wil drive most amps, not just F5.
The PSU is single 18V (easily obtainable from amp's power rail with 7818 reg) and consumes about 20 mA per channel (about 15 mA through Q3/Q4).
There's a dual power supply version too but the DC offset volatility at the output demands a coupling cap or DC servo so why bother... I put 10uF SILMIC II on the output and forget about it - if you'll use it just for F5, 1uF at the output is enough and you can lose R11 in that case.
Of course, BC550C/560C are not easily available any more in some parts of the world but SMD replacements (BC847c-850c/857c-860c) are sold everywhere. Just take care about SOA of SMD parts - don't run more than 10 mA through Q3/Q4 (make R16/R17 lower, say 6k8 or so...) meaning that you shouldn't have more than 39 mV across R14/R15 with SMD transistors. Since these parts are very cheap buy your self a stash so you can easily match them - mine are hfe=600. 5% match is OK (Q1 to Q2 and Q3 to Q4)

Attachments

• v2-sch.jpg
    v2-sch.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 466
  • v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.