• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Preamp hum issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

If your B+ is about 300V as indicated in the first scheamtic, connect a voltage divider 100k/33k from B+ to ground. 100k on the B+ side and 33k on the ground side. Connect a 47uF/100V in parallel to the 33k. Connect the - leg of the heater supply to the connection between the two resistors. 5W resistors will do.

Best regards

Thomas

B+ is actually truely 390~400v but the ratio will still make do? looks like 100v at the center of the divider. is that what is wanted?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Ok,

Here are a few thoughts.

The 12at7's are getting the B+ filtered by the o/p Tx. The 12AU7's are connected to the B+ supply (possibly with ripple).

I would think the 12at7's will be modulated by the driver tube. (just my thoughts.)

If this is the case if you take the 12au7's from the same B+ point they might be quiet. However I do not think this is a good way to do it.

If this proves correct than I would filter the B+ better and put a dropper resistor and another cap for supply to the driver and pre amp tubes.

I have never seen this done before!
I would be interested to hear if anyone is familiar with taking B+ for driver from the power tube anode?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Ok,

Here are a few thoughts.

The 12at7's are getting the B+ filtered by the o/p Tx. The 12AU7's are connected to the B+ supply (possibly with ripple).

I would think the 12at7's will be modulated by the driver tube. (just my thoughts.)

If this is the case if you take the 12au7's from the same B+ point they might be quiet. However I do not think this is a good way to do it.

If this proves correct than I would filter the B+ better and put a dropper resistor and another cap for supply to the driver and pre amp tubes.

I have never seen this done before!

Regards
M. Gregg

i don't think its reasonable to ask for the output transformers to source that much current. your thoughts of the OT adding filtering to my B+ got me thinking a bit on that tho. transformers will be seen as an inductance to the circuit. so maybe i should add an inductor to my b+ output that leads to my 12au7's :scratch:

oh yea, and taking power from the output transformer. thats exactly what the UL tap does! same goes for running a pentode in 'triode mode'

before i had my power supply completed, my friend suggested just as a quick and dirty test to see if all was well, he suggested powering tubes off the UL tap as it would inherently drop voltage. but i have a feeling that feeding my pre's from my OT's would add feedback, and possibly oscillations?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
i don't think its reasonable to ask for the output transformers to source that much current. your thoughts of the OT adding filtering to my B+ got me thinking a bit on that tho. transformers will be seen as an inductance to the circuit. so maybe i should add an inductor to my b+ output that leads to my 12au7's :scratch:

I dont think that using the o/p Tx to filter supply to the driver is good. What I am saying is that there is a difference with the B+ on the 12at7's and the B+ with the 12au7's they are not the same supply!

And this might be the difference! I agree I would not source power for the pre via the o/p tx.

I dont think that using the o/p Tx to filter supply to the driver is good. What I am saying is that there is a difference with the B+ on the 12at7's and the B+ with the 12au7's they are not the same supply!

And this might be the difference! I agree I would not source power for the pre via the o/p tx.
think my train of thought on inductance from the transformer is filtering my at7's supply, and thus i should consider putting another unductor before my au7's is on the right path? heck, a inductor would add a little voltage drop, which they could use anyways, since they are running slightly out of circuit spec anyways?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
think my train of thought on inductance from the transformer is filtering my at7's supply, and thus i should consider putting another unductor before my au7's is on the right path? heck, a inductor would add a little voltage drop, which they could use anyways, since they are running slightly out of circuit spec anyways?

Hope this has given you some ideas as to what may be happening! It will be interesting to see if this is correct! I still think the first cap is a bit small. Let us know what you find.

Regards
M. Gregg

i actually intially built my circuit with a 47 uF primary electrolytic cap. i calculated using circuit impedance and equations elsewhere that said i think between 8 and 12 uf was more ideal. and the hum with my old speakers got reduced to nearly nothing with a 10uf USA military PIO!. however, i just upgraded to much more sensitive speakers i just made. and hum is back to haunt me

i have to sign off now!
Catch you later!
found the equations:
Here is a standard by which I go to calculate the value of the first capacitor (C1) after the rectifier. I estimate the quiescent (idle. No signal) current from the amplifer. I divide the voltage by this current to get the "impedance" of the amplifier. I then use the ol' one tenth the impedance rule to calculate the size capacitor at 120 hertz for bypass filtering. So, assuming 300 volts at 130 milliamps for a typical stereo power amplifier, I get an impedance of about 2307 ohms. So I use the value of 230 ohms for the capacitor. Now using the formula for capacitive reactance I calculate the desired value of the capacitor. Xc=1/(2xpixfxC)
C=1/(2xpixfxXc)
C=1/(6.28x120x230)
C=1/(173415.9)
C=5.7 microfarads
my amp is 260~300ma at a B+ of 400v so
400/280mA = 1428 ohms, 1/10th of that is 142.8
C=1/(753.6x142.8) = 9.29 uF

seems to make a lot of sense to me. given how common 10uF input caps are in amp circuits. something to experiment with, i suppose

Last edited:
heres another observation i have noticed. if i hook my meter up to the chassis, and hold the other probe in my hand, i can measure a 60 hz signal which seems to be close to the same as what i found on the heater supply neutral to chassis/earth ground earlier
interesting result already. i get 1.7v ac comparing neutral leg of smps to my amp chassis(i have it internally connected to center tap and earth ground) that somewhat proves that there is no common connection at least with the neutral leg and the amp?

edit:
hold the probe in my hand, as in the plastic part

Last edited:
Hi!

Select it such to have the minimum voltage difference between heater and cathodes. Is this just supplying the pre tube or all heaters?

Thomas
807 max heater with respect to cathode is 135v, au7 is 100v, and at7 is 90v, and 100v for 12ax7 is 100v dc so i need to aim for 60~80v then for my divider then?

so, the divider should use nearest value to 23k ohms to obtain 75v as 100k+23k, so a 20k~24k resistor, whatever is avail at shop should do the job.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.