• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Preamp hum issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i last night tried pulling all but one pre-amp tube and the hum stayed the same. my linear power supply starts to climb in voltage quickly tho. my second filter capacitors are only rated to 500v and one pre had it up to 450v already

only slightly interesting thing i noticed is one channel has less hum then others. but the only wiring difference is im using a lm317 as a constant current source on the output tube on that channels heater, and im only using one 12at7 triode (6 total triode 'sides', only need 5, one doesnt get used) you can see it in my picture, look at the left most 9 pin socket

oh and btw thanks a lot for your time/effort in trying to guide me towards a solution. i highly appreciate it

o yea, i yesterday bypassed my pre-amp and maxed out my mixer on my input, nearly no hum whatsoever with removed/bypassed pre-amp tubes, so in theory i kind of 'dont need' the pre-amps but im sure i was driving my input to clipping range to get decent volume out

Last edited:
I think the only thing you can do is disconnect the filament supply on the pre section with a switch and see if the hum stops! At least this will give you something to work on. You need to know if its B+ or filament supply problem!
so its important to disconnect both sides of the filament at the same time? dont have any dual throw switches laying around so i guess this will have to wait a little bit to test.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Is there any difference between the B+ or heater connections for the 12at7's and the pre supply? ie are they the same supply connection point?

The reason I ask if the B+ is the same and the heaters are from a different supply try connecting one of the preamps from the power amp supplies!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
If B+ is the same and heater supply is the same for 12at7's and 12au7's then it can only be layout or grounding.

How is the pre connected to the power amp (with screened cables?) If the chassis is grounded the screens should only be connected at one end?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The B+ on the 12at7's is not directly connected to the 12au7's.
What is the difference?
Where does the B+ cable go?

The B+ for the power amp feeds the o/p Tx .
The B+ for the 12at7's and the 12au7's comes from? the B+ supply?

Last edited:
The B+ on the 12at7's is not directly connected to the 12au7's.
What is the difference?
Where does the B+ cable go?
here, this is a slightly different drawing of the same circuit. this will help you understand perhaps. the b+ that runs through the 'wall' of the amp all run to the second filter capacitor

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi!

Your filaments of the pretube should have a reference to signal ground. Otherwise there can be large AC between the heater and cathode. This can couple to your circuit.

Best is to elevate the heater to a voltage between the two cathode levels and decouple with a cap.

Best regards

Thomas
this sounds like an likely scenerio. what is the best way to accomplish this?

Why is your driver tube getting is B+ from the top of the power tube?
its really pulling it through the output transformer. its not connected physically to the top of the pentode. it just branches off to both the 12at7 and the 807. branches are hard to see in that photo, here have another:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

that was a early picture of the build. ground buss was rebuilt among other things

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.