• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PP Output Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mine is very good also at low frequency instead, about 3Hz at -3 dB, and low distortion. The only criticism for that amp (from 1980's) is the circuit which could be better and easily improved from my point of view. Best sonic result comes with the underrated Ei EL34 with tipped glass. This valve cannot take more than 21-22W on the plate because after this point it starts to become red hot but sounds far superior to any other EL34.....

That would be a world record for a opt, full power from 3 - 100kHz.
I guess you mean 3Hz at low power. Anyway the radford transformer also has higher insertion loss then i wanted. I want insertion loss lower then 0.25dB ( much lower i prefer)

Btw, if the EI cannot take 25-30W it isnt a real El34......

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Now if the "Silver Fan" could point to a silver wire Voice Coil speaker, then he *might* impress us a little more with the Silver "advantage".:eek:

Until then ..... keep your silver in your jewelry and for minting coins, thanks.

Nah, only a voice-coil with 0 tempco would impress me. Than it would finally be posible to make a decent active speaker system without having to worry that Q is wandering all over the place.....

I am looking for someone to make for me a Pair of PP Output Transformers. Size and Price are not an issue....I just want the best I can lay my hands on. I have considered SOWTER but they really dont want to make anything outside the norm, as I am looking to have them made with C Core and Silver wire on the secondary. If you guys can give me any suggestion as to where I should start to look I would appreciate it.

I used Majestic to make my transformers, they were excellent quality and the electrical performance was exemplary. I note another post says "their's went up in smoke in 10 minutes", from that I can only conclude the users circuit or the original spec the user supplied was wrong, to have a transformer go up in smoke in 10 minutes sounds pretty implausible unless there is an enormous design gaff in the circuit.

The guys at Majestic were very helpful as well. I also bought a set of transformers from Sowter Transformers in Ipswich, these again were excellent, but the price was very high indeed. Both Majestic and Sowter are highly recommended in my book and I have bought a fair few over the years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.