PowerPad and the ultra extreme headphone amp TPA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SMD soldering with hot air

Upupa Epops:I see your point

We use this at work:Hot air soldering mashine

But what I meant was that it is not THAT difficult.
I wouldn´t have any problems using a regular hot air tool(don´t know what it is called in english,"varmluftspistol" in swedish) at home.
What matters is that you should NOT try this without getting used to this and try a it with some junk components first.
And not to heat the components too long...

I like the idea of soldering a copper wire, perhaps mains earth wire, to the pad as a solution. The chip doesnt get very warm at all and I've run it quite loud for extended periods and left it on for hours. I think the important thing is to earth the pad and give at least some conductance of heat. I'm going to build another to go inside an integrated chip amp I've got planned.

I've got some OPA4134 opamps as used in the suggested application on the pdf file - might try to incorporate those as well -any thoughts?

For the power supply, I used a transformer with twin secondaries and fed the outputs into 2 seperate regulators.

peranders said:
I have not yet desided if I'm going to use a single or a dual supply. At least I have desided that it wll be an non-inverting buffer with gain and the TPA6120 will go a inverting amp with gain of 1.

I plan to use one AD8620 and one TPA6120.

P-A, why don't you use the TPA6120 alone, NI?
That way you will evaluate this chip.
An AD8620 before it?
Why?:confused:

Good question!

The TPA6120 has rather large bias currents which can cause trouble when the signal source is not known and/or you have AC-coupled input. Therefore to eliminate this I chose to have a buffer and when I have it I chose also to have an inverting configuration of the TPA6120 since I have good drive capability. It's not impossible to modify the pcb into a non-inverting, non-buffered version.

The group buy interest at head-fi.org is zero (to hard to build?) but if anyone here feel this headphone amp could be interesting, send me a message and maybe I will set up a group buy.

It's not ruled out that I can solder the TPA6120 but I won't promise anything.

P-A, if you use a buffer, you can use it before the volume pot.
And the TPA in NI mode.

As for the solder pad...
:bulb: why not use a big via (around the size of the pad) on the exact place, to fill up with solder?:bulb:
I can't remember an easyest way to do it.
It should work fine.:angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.