power supply sulzer-borbely

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No reason to boost current, you have enough current. You must decrease dissipation!

Two ways: make sure you have the lowest transformer secondary voltage that supports the output. For instance, for +12V, the preregulator can be +15V and the input to the prereg +18V. So a xformer with a secondary of say 2*18VAC center-tapped would be OK.

Second, increase the heatsinking on the prereg and pass transistor for not to high temp. If you can touch it for 10secs without pain, that's good enough.

Jan Didden

Hi,
I would like to ask about the tantalum capacitors used in Borbely variation of Sulzer design. Would it be possible to substitute them with Elcaps without ruining the performance of this regulator? I am worried about tantalum shorting when they break.

Refering to the schematic in post #1:

C2, 10 microF: it is the LM317 adj cap, a low ESR should fit fine here;

C3, 1 microF: it the output cap, with quite an ESR like C4, I am not so sure in its substitution;

C5-6, in Jung SR are low ESR elcap, but their value is of 120 microF instead of 4.7 and 1 of Sulzer Variation.

Jan and AndrewT, as well as all the others forumers, suggestions are very much welcome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.