Power Supply Soft Start Board (V3)

Stock should be fine, or use (2) CL-60 instead of the resistors.
Does "stock" equate to no resistance, or to a single CL60, or something else?

Two series connected CL60 will give a cold resistance of ~20r @ 25°C, maybe a bit more for 20°C
That is a lot less than 50r.

CL60 and two CL60 seem to work well on 110/120Vac mains supplies.
They don't have a high enough resistance for effective current limiting on 220/240Vac Mains supplies.

Hi all here :)

First off, hope all enjoying the hollyday's?

Well, i am in for making a softstart circuit, but was thinking about using 5pcs. resistors of 10ohm/10watt in series....

Anybody see problems with that (making my own PCB, so layout no problem)

RG; Jesper.

Given you are going to build one from scratch I would recommend reading this thread and using a proper NTC for the job (perhaps an Ametherm 40 Ohms). You can use my Spice models also - linked to in that thread. I even have spare PCBs if you are interested. All at your own risk etc etc as it is a mains voltage project.

This may have been asked here before, but unfortunately I don't have time to plough through the intire thread at the moment.

In the store it's mentioned that you can buy the soft-start/speaker protection combo and that it's a set of two boards. Is that a set of two pcb's *each*? E.G.: two soft-start boards AND two protection boards?

Thanks!

James.

I have been running a 1kva toroid with a combined filter capacitance of about 160kuf for about 3 years now. All with the supplied values in the BOM.

Have you read the build guide? It should help you in fine tuning the soft start if needed.
I've been looking for it in this thread, but can't find it. Am I looking with my a**, or has it been moved elsewhere? Where can I find it?

Thanks.

AJT, Thanks!

I'm using 220V-240V mains. Will have to measure to get the exact voltage.

When the boards will be available again, I plan to obtain them from the DIYaudio store. Along with the speaker protection and Honey Badger boards - all in one buy to save on shipping costs.

Is there a build manual, like there is one for the Honey Badger amp? I would like some info on building, setting-up and checking my work.

Thanks again!

i am also looking for it, but the schematics is enough for me, when you have gathered all parts and the relay, there is data posted above as to size of C2 to use...

my line voltage is around 230 volts, so i will breadboard this and come up with a minimum value of C2 that will work even if the line dips to 200 volts ac...

i am also building a honey badger amp, my second build..

i am also looking for it, but the schematics is enough for me, when you have gathered all parts and the relay, there is data posted above as to size of C2 to use...

my line voltage is around 230 volts, so i will breadboard this and come up with a minimum value of C2 that will work even if the line dips to 200 volts ac...

i am also building a honey badger amp, my second build..
What is C2's funtion? Is it by any chance used for timing the relay?

in a way, yes, since bigger currents makes facter charging of C3
delay is due to the sum of parts C3, and the dc resistance of the relay you used...
C2 is a current limiter, the design did not use a small traffo,
so a capacitor was used instead....you can choose its value to suit requirements...

i have a variac so i can simulate actual line conditions....