power cord break-in or burn-in is there such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Re: Power Cord Break-In

millwood said:

I can confirm for everyone's benefit: none.

If you ask a pro audio company to show you the guts of their mixing console, you will be positively surprised by the number of (low quality) op amps and horribly power cords.

Anyone thinking s/he can improve sound quality by using exotic chips, resistors, or power cords should take a tour of any reputable sound studios.

Interesting. My favorite artist is with Deutsche Grammophon. I really wonder what they use. Inside information is probably hard to get.

Millwood brings up a good point. Anyone think that the recording studios use expensive power cords during the recording process???

JF

Millwood brings up a good point. Anyone think that the recording studios use expensive power cords during the recording process???
This is so true. And to take it further up the musical chain, start with the mics, stage cables and guitar amps which are often incredibly "cheap". People would be amazed and apalled at the "bad" carbon resistors, cheap pots and 10c capacitors found in some guitar amps. And the same goes for many mixing desks. Not to mention the Big Mac crumbs, grease, cigarette ash and other gunge that gets into those desktop slider pots after a few recording sessions...

It's hard to take power cords seriously in the face of all that, isn't it?

DrG said:

...And the same goes for many mixing desks. Not to mention the Big Mac crumbs, grease, cigarette ash and other gunge that gets into those desktop slider pots after a few recording sessions...

Yep, "like a salad of despair". Probably a stretch to think that all recording studios are like that (maybe more a Americani$m/Anglo-Saxonism--especially the Big Mac crumbs). I wonder about a Teutonic recording studio--ie Deutsche Grammophon. At least for classical music, I would think that they use better than average equipment.

JF

I would think that they use better than average equipment.
Probably. It's hard to imagine von Karajan conducting a studio symphony while the mixing engineer happily munches a cheeseburger, washes it down with a cherry coke and then lights up a Camel plain, all the while maneuvring the greaseball sliders and scratchy pots of some hasbeen mixing desk.

But I believe there are some fine studios out there, particularly those where some of the Linn and other superduperphile recordings are made. I also heard there was one installing a tube (!) mixing desk... go figure. In contrast to wherever the Dead Kennedy's (for example) record. I think that garbage would sound just as bad recorded on a Dictaphone mini-cassette... apologies to all DK fans out there...

Deutsche Gramophone!! When did they last do a good recording?
They can't even reissue their old good recordings without
destroying the sound!! Very bad example to choose DG IMHO.
I doubt this has anything to do with the actual equipment DG
uses, though. It is probably just bad judgement of how to
use the equipment.

As for Herr von Karajan, I wouldn't be the least surprised if
he had been muching cheeseburgers himself while recording.
Need I say I don't have much to say in favour of that man? :)

As for studio equipment, there seems to be some trends/
experiments with alternative things for classical music. I
don't have the recording(s) myself, but I understand
that one or two recent Philips recordings with Ghergiev were
done using valve equipment. I don't have any further info
however, and so don't know how far in the analog chain
valves were used.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
johnferrier said:
At least for classical music, I would think that they use better than average equipment.

JF

not sure what this specific studio uses, but I know of a mixing console that is considered THE standard and benchmark for all mixing consoles. And it does NOT use anything close to those $22/piece AD op amps.

It is save to say that you lowly 5532/34 is pretty high end vis-a-vis what is used in that console.

Christer said:
As for studio equipment, there seems to be some trends/
experiments with alternative things for classical music. I
don't have the recording(s) myself, but I understand
that one or two recent Philips recordings with Ghergiev were
done using valve equipment. I don't have any further info
however, and so don't know how far in the analog chain
valves were used.

Certainly, there are nice headphones that come from Deutschland (as well as cars, etc.). Maestro Boulez seems satisfied with DG (can't help who he signs with--they also recently signed Esa Pekka-Salonen).

Are there recordings (Philips or otherwise) that you recommend???

(And I'm not buying the power cord burn-in concept.)

JF

Ridiculous Thread

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Errrrr...how ridiculous can a thread get?

Cheers,;)

It's not too much more ridiculous than when it started, but I saw a better one once on a different site: A guy was describing his 6 month break-in period technique for his speaker wires but, if the wires get moved, the break-in period has to start all over. I think that was one of the most ridiculous posts I ever saw.

page 15 of Self's "Audio Amplifiers ...."
makes a facetious suggestion to the effect that the electric utility companies in the UK should gold-plate the contacts of the pylons on the high power grid.

shheeeeeessssssshhhh, i would recommend to all these golden ears with their kilobuck (that's 0,85 Euro's for you folks on the banks of the Scheldt, used to be the other way around!) that they get a subscription to the Met Opera, go see the Tallis Scholars up at Columbia University on December 13th, hear a decent organ,

GET A GRIP ON YOURSELVES, IT'S ABOUT MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ferrr crissakes, we used to complain about the slight rumble of the Broadway IRT on Carnegie Hall recordings and now we have devolved to this ?????

Power Cord Break-In

joan2 said:
perhaps becasue i started a ridiculous thread!!! and i anticipate such replies,frankly, i'd more surpirised if people took this seriously!!!

Actually, this thread started with an honest question of whether a power cord needs a break in period. But at some point it got changed into how different power cords sound different.

Well, I better go now; I have to go change the main circuit breaker coming into my house. I have one I use for classical music, one for rock, one for jazz, etc., and I'm changing CDs so I need to go change the circuit breaker feeding the main power into my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.