Power amp under development

marus said:
... and this is my bias :whazzat:

Hi Marus,

It will be very difficult to match the bias evenly across the output devices. In real terms it does not really matter and the fact that you have a degree of current sharing already is a good result.

The trouble with setting bias with mosfets is that it's done right at the turn-on threshold and because of the large transconductance even well matched FETs can show differences.

At regular listening levels the FETs will tend to share the load more evenly.

I have never worried about it and I suggest you don't sweat it either.

Cheers
Q

vuthanh6 said:
Hi AndrewT,

You can help me, because I can't find transistor BC556/546 in VietNam. Can I change by 2SC1815/2SA1015? and IRFP450 --> IRFP240.

Thank you vey much

As already advised you can use the IRFP240 without any problems. In terms of substituting the 2SC1845, you will need to find a transistor with similar specifications. You can use a transistor with a different Vce depending on what rails you are going to use. The transistor must have a Vce at least 1.2 times greater than the maximum possible rail voltage (one rail).

So I guess a little research is in order.

Cheers & good luck.

Quasi

Hi,
the LED drops a near constant voltage. The Vdrop varies with type and is usually in the range 1.6V to 3.5V.
If you connect a LED across 24V, the relay coil, then you will blow it up.
You must set a current limit and this is easily achieved with a resistor sized to drop the excess voltage at the current you want to flow through the LED.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
the LED drops a near constant voltage. The Vdrop varies with type and is usuaully in the range 1.6V to 3.5V.
If you connect a LED across 24V, the relay coil, then you will blow it up.
You must set a current limit and this is easily achieved with a resistor sized to drop the excess voltage at the current you want to flow through the LED.

I'm talking about an LED assembly with a built in resistor and rated for 24V. Check out this link.
http://www.rsindia.com/cgi-bin/bv/r...feceeldgkidhgh.0&cacheID=innetscape&Nr=avl:in

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Thanh,
I want to connect a LED for output signal (SPK). How to connect? Because I want my amp have 2 LEDs, They show Left and Right output signal.
You would not normally want to hook them up to the speaker outputs. Do you want full power level meters or just signal (then why not add clipping?). There should be some circuits posted if you look around, then there is always Google.

-Chris

Today i found a power supply of +/- 76 V DC (only 5.000uF/rail), i changed resitros to 18k and 33k, adjust bias again to 30mA/pair and turn it on. And then ..... distorsion :whazzat: from the first watt ....
I think i go crazy ....

Quasi , can you tell me where i can verify some voltages to know that everything it's ok ?

(sorry my damn english)

... and the bias is :

[ 33mA ] [ 27mA ] [ 30mA ]
[ 32mA ] [ 29mA ] [ 29mA ]

verry good ! but what is with this distorsion ? :confused:
i check everything 100 times ... it's ok
R6= 18K , R17= 33K at +/- 76V DC

First time i use at 40V with this resistors and ... the same distorsion it have. I put 2,7K and 22K and .... no distorsion (at 40 DC).

marus said:
... and the bias is :

[ 33mA ] [ 27mA ] [ 30mA ]
[ 32mA ] [ 29mA ] [ 29mA ]

verry good ! but what is with this distorsion ? :confused:
i check everything 100 times ... it's ok
R6= 18K , R17= 33K at +/- 76V DC

First time i use at 40V with this resistors and ... the same distorsion it have. I put 2,7K and 22K and .... no distorsion (at 40 DC).

Hi Marus,

I have replaced the Nmos350 / 500 schematic on my web site with the one that shows key current flows. Using ohms law you should be able to work out what the voltages should be across components.

Have you checked the DC offset?

Cheers
Q

quasi said:

Hi Marus,

I have replaced the Nmos350 / 500 schematic on my web site with the one that shows key current flows. Using ohms law you should be able to work out what the voltages should be across components.

Have you checked the DC offset?

Cheers
Q

Quasi
This is very good. But what about current values for the different power supply versions shown in your selection table? Is there a way we can derive the values for the particular power supply that I'm going to use?

Cheers
Hari

jethari said:

Quasi
This is very good. But what about current values for the different power supply versions shown in your selection table? Is there a way we can derive the values for the particular power supply that I'm going to use?

Cheers
Hari

Hari,

What I have done is take the PSU voltage intended and scale to the 75VDC rail design. This allows me to scale the parts list far easier than trying to figure out what the transistors part of the current flow. The main reason I have taken this approach is because I cannot find a SPICE like program that is useful to me in Linux.

There are lots of them in Windows, but I am not creating a Windows system to use a Windows based SPICE program. I would think using a SPICE type program would enable you to see how to acheive the same currents with different PSU voltages.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdle, Ontario
Canada
07 September 2007 22:59
Official Quasi Thread Researcher.