Post your Solid State pics here

It also leaves a dirty/sticky residue when the packing tape is removed. Using heatshrink for insulation and tiewraps for cable management would probably be a better choice :). Kapton tape is also often used in high temperature environments. Really relieable, but it could be a bit too expensive.

Hi,

here are some photos of my first amp built up around some old heat sinks that were being thrown out at work - a work colleague brought them to my attention and that's when I decided to pull the pin and do an amp and speakers..

The amp modules are NXV200L R4 from Anthony Holton in Tasmania together with AC controller and LSPs. Overkill heat sink for the modules but I wanted to build an enclosure that can be used again for more powerful dual monoblock builds.

The layered look is just repurposing of clear polycarbonate sheet I purchased to build a circle jig for the speakers - ended up getting a perfect circle from the U.S. (which really hurts in Oz with the exchange rate) but is a great jig that I adapted for my makita. I fitted them with threaded copper rod and also put in some cable management lacing type bars...I might develop that technique because I think it looks OK.

The amp sounds great with the Zaph ZRTs I built which are elsewhere on this site...burning it all in now...the ideas and tips on this website are much appreciated.

This is where I come to learn.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 1,098
  • IMG_3317.jpg
    IMG_3317.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_3316.jpg
    IMG_3316.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_3312.jpg
    IMG_3312.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_3310.jpg
    IMG_3310.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 1,021
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 1,019
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 1,062
Nice work! That chassis would be perfect for my next build.

Just finished rebuilding my HB today after I tore it apart to install the 21st century protection boards.
The front panel led shows red for standby, amber during startup and green when the speakers are connected.
Alarms are flashing in various combinations of red, amber and green.

Attachments

• DSC_0285.jpg
    DSC_0285.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 551
  • DSC_0289.jpg
    DSC_0289.jpg
    695 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Nice work! That chassis would be perfect for my next build.

Just finished rebuilding my HB today after I tore it apart to install the 21st century protection boards.
The front panel led shows red for standby, amber during startup and green when the speakers are connected.
Alarms are flashing in various combinations of red, amber and green.

Nice mod! Looks like a tight squeeze :)

Nice build! It looks fantastic.

For my own information, Does that front power button light up? If so, where did you get it? I have been looking for something similar for an amp I am working on.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim,
bought this one from RS components

It lights up and looks good on a 12V test but I need to drop in a couple of back to back diodes and a resistor and feed it off one of the auxilliary AC feeds.

I think mouser has something equivalent...

So much more happiness for me if you make your own pc boards and complete the build . Buying kits is just not the same satisfaction for me, but well done !:)

Hi Jan,

I agree and I have made boards + rf equipment etc...but in this case I wanted to

1. finish the speakers and amp before I die
2. spend time on the case because I also enjoy the metalwork

...but you're right, the satisfaction building from scratch is great. Which is why I am going mining for tantalum next week...;)

Hi Tim,
bought this one from RS components

It lights up and looks good on a 12V test but I need to drop in a couple of back to back diodes and a resistor and feed it off one of the auxilliary AC feeds.

I think mouser has something equivalent...

Thanks so much! I found some before, but they were ~ $100 each. I figured there were better options. I'm still adapting to the Mouser search engine! :)

>Links don't work with an adblocker

Sorry; they worked for me, even with adblocker..

>Is this worth it for a .02% quasi comp OPS ?

No one is going to hear this 0.02%, will they?

All power amps I built within last 30 years (6 of them)
were quasi, and worked great.

Is it worth it? No, in a long run, we all gonna die..

>Still , nice job !

Thanks.