• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Possible group buy of Lundahl input/phase splitter transformers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There better not be. Shoog took my money (which he insisted be in cash) and I never received the transformers. He then offered to send another pair but reneged, refused to return even a portion of my money, and stopped responding to my email.

I am truly sorry for your financial loss. But maybe it can comfort you a little to know that these transformer are completely worthless in tube-circuits due to low inductance and thereby low impedance (Brett, you are so right!)! The ones to feel really sorry for are the misled guys who got them and put lot of manhours into trying make them work.

It is terribly misleading to sell them as "input/phase splitter transformers" when you are in the "Tubes"-section........

Hi all,
I am not going to defend myself here.
Let me simply say - that unfortunately we all took a risk on this one, and as I found out they are not suitable for the intended purpose due to their low inductance. Shame, but it didn't cost much to find this out and they probably can be used for something else. I am wiser.

On the point about the one that went missing. Well I originally said I didn't want to send any to America because of this potential problem and the hassle of dealing with Dollars. When the final decision was made "dsavitsk" decided to go for the cheapest postal method, which didn't involve insurance. He knew the risks. Negations largely involved accusing me of ripping him off and expecting me to be out of pocket when I had done what I was asked to do. Eventually I got pissed off.

Lessons I have learned, don't bother because your effort is seldom rewarded and there is never gratitude in this life.
I am as dissapointed as the next man that these transformers haven't worked out for the intended purpose.

Shoog

Here is the text of some of the accusatory emails I sent:

In response to Shoog saying this:
If they don't turn up in the next week or so I will post you mine.

I said, on April 20:
I appreciate the offer. Let's hope it doesn't come to anything like that. I'm not suffering without them as I have plenty of other stuff to work on, so we'll give it a few more weeks and see what happens.

On May 4th, after not receiving a response to the above, I said this:
I appreciate your offer to send yours, but I really don't want to deprive you since you probably have more use for these than me, and since you found the deal and did the eBay work in the first place. So, maybe we could just do a cash return less postage, or if you have extra parts or tubes laying around, maybe we can find something that would be useful to me that isn't so useful to you?

On May 21st I added:
Did you get my last email? I have not heard anything in a while. I am pretty sure these transformers are lost.

My idea has been to use them in a little experimental Opamp amplifier. Something like a OPA627 driving the tranformer into a pair of gainclones. More power than I could ever need but might be interesting.
The other idea was to use an OPA627 into the transformers and then mess about with some mosfets with 100V on the source. So if I could build a little transformer MOSFET amp.

The real issue is that to drive the transformers with the sort of impedance they need, you really need to use an OPAMP so theres no DC, or cap couple a driver transistor - which would need a nasty big Electro.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.