Porting a JBL 2123 for midbass duties

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Almost all the sheet metal under the rear window will be cut out or covered with ¾” MDF. For the sides I will use 1/2" MDF. Fiberglass may be the best way to do the rear of the box.

My biggest concern at this time is how to attach the box/baffle to the sheet metal. Since the box is sealed I can't get ‘behind’ the sheet metal to insert a bolt or hold a nut.

I could 'great stuff' some ½” mdf behind the sheet metal with 1/4"-20 Hurricane Nuts. I like these better than t-nuts because t-nuts can sometimes spin and that could be a disaster if I ever needed to take the box out.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=081-1084

Another way is to put threaded inserts in, they work something like rivets. I have used these before and they haven't failed yet!
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200308963_200308963

I would appreciate any suggestions on this.

Attachments

• t nuts.jpg
    t nuts.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 137
Yeah, still working on the boxes. The baffles of complete and the sides of the cabinet are on. I ended up using the thread inserts in the sheet metal and they worked perfectly. I will have over a .6 cu/ft.

Need to fiberglass the back on, I think that will be easiest. I thin another we or so because I am helping my son study for finals.

This is the back of the cabinet. Once the side walls were on I mounted the cabinet in the car and fiberglassed and the back wall while it was mounted to getmaximum depth/volume. The cabinet is 8 inches deep in some places and has a volume 1 cu/ft.

Attachments

• speaker2.jpg
    speaker2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 100
Yeah, I am going with the 2206's. I was geting scared at being so close to full excursion with the 2123's. With the 2206 @ 160 watts into 8 ohms, I should be at 100 db at 80 Hz and not be anywhere near full excursion, according to Unibox.

I have installed the D200 and three Orion GX280 under the seats. Need to hook up the power and speaker wires in the next couple of weeks. The last step will be the HU.

Made a little mistake in that last post. It should have said that with the 2206 @ 160 watts into 8 ohms, I should be at 111 db at 80 Hz and 113 db at 100 Hz. and not be anywhere near full excursion at lest according to Unibox.

I wish I could port because then I could be at 116 db at 80 Hz, but there doesn't seem to be enough room on the front baffle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.