PMC TLE1 style sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amen. Best goal to have given that it brings more enjoyment to more people.

No, don't try extending the line length. The 3:1 taper already gives a lower tuning than an untapered line of the same length, and adjustments means altering everything else. Also, trying to tune these drivers lower in a line is looking for trouble -amongst other things, you'll increase the speed of the roll-off, which is already about as fast as I personally would be willing to accept from a sub.

Thanks. Ok, no problem; so sticking with your original design Scottmoose, i'm trying to figure out some box dimensions.

With a tapered line is the tapering linear? I assume it is, meaning halfway down the line we have 2sd area. That also means the average area is 2sd. That is 0.476m squared. If I multiply that by the line length of 2.54m I get an internal line area of 1.209m cubed (I think). I'm not sure where I'm going after that. I thought i'd need to divide by the cabinet width (say 0.22m) then by the cabinet depth (say 0.6m) to leave my cabinet height. That doesn't seem to work though. I know there will be some deviation for the area occupied by the internal dividers too.

Yes, I definately plan to veneer this once it's finished. It will also be active, with each driver powered by 70W amps (similar power to the PMC model). Got most the parts for that already. The amp will be fixed to the back as usual but externally rather than integral to the cabinet :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
1.2 cubic meters is a mammoth sized box!!! That's 1700 litres!!! Live in that, you could.
You are going to have to scale the dimensions of the line to fit a convenient size box. Maintain the taper though.
You might want to think about Eq for it, such as a Linkwitz-transform (if you're handy with the circuits ;) )
Goodluck

I think I must have done it wrong, the design doesn't actually come out to that size does it :eek: :D . I realised after multiplying the PMC dimensions gave about 0.05 it must be wrong. How would you actually do it, rather to fit that line into a box as-is? Planet 10's design is more or less the sort of size I was thinking of, a bit smaller would be nice though realising I have fairly limited space :eek:

I thought about the EQ'ed subs and it probably would be easier for me to make, but I prefer the idea of extending the bass response acoustically rather than with electrical power. If I mess up and this fails badly then I'll probably end up with a sealed box and EQ though
;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The one proper way to design a TL is to use Martin King's mathcad models to plot the line and predict the outcome. If you do not have access to his models you can guesstimate by using the drivers Fs and Sd. Calculate the quarter wavelenght of Fs - this will be your line lenght. It can be shortened by tapering it smaller. Start the line with a cross sectional area of at least Sd.
A Google search will locate a wavelenght calc.
As for Eq, you can use it for a TL too, just need to make sure your drivers have enough excursion to handle it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:
The one proper way to design a TL is to use Martin King's mathcad models to plot the line and predict the outcome. I

Scott already did that (and Scott knows how to use the software as well as anyone). I drew the box Scott simmed, folded down into a shape approximating the PMC. The width is determined by how wide you need to fit the drivers, and 3 folds is practical given the target shape.

If you'd like me to move the drivers to the front, and add dimensions so you can build it, that is not a problem.

Gross volume is about 96 lites.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Martin King has stopped free access to his models because too many people were using it for commercial purposes with no return of benefit to him. I got it before he did this and I would assume scottmoose did likewise.
Like I said, scottmoose has the models, the design should be accurate using the drivers specs.

Stuffing: On the site you linked to they say:"120g pack is sufficient for cabinets with an internal volume of up to 20 Litres"
In my opinion you shouldn't need more than one pack. Remember, the whole line doesn't get stuffed, just the first 1/3 or so.

This foam would be good for either sealed sub or bass reflex box. The stuffing in a TL is to smooth midrange ripple and slow down the passage of air through the line. This foam will not do that.
Start with very little stuffing and work your way up, will be tedious.

Goodluck

If you could re-draw it with the speakers on the front that would be fantastic! Starting to think I should have found somewhere to put it in my room before doing it, because it's going to turn out fairly large (though still slim, about 22cm wide I think would be nice). Anyhow, it'll be as big as it needs to be and i'll figure out positioning afterwards :D

Fair point on the models, annoying a few people people abuse the free access like that :(

I guess to determine the stuffing is pretty trial and error, by clamping/screwing the side on and listening with various amounts :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:
I would assume scottmoose did likewise.
Like I said, scottmoose has the models, the design should be accurate using the drivers specs.

Scottmoose has a commercial licence

The stuffing in a TL is to smooth midrange ripple and slow down the passage of air through the line. This foam will not do that.

The stuffing acts as a low pass filter for the terminus. It does not slow the passage of air. IMF, Fried, & PMC all use foam to good effect in their TLs. I usually line the walls with cotton felt, and use polyfluff in the critical parts. How much depends on your end goal. If you want maximum useful output from the terminus you use as little as possible to still achieve the target low pass characteristic. At the other end is the "official" TL (rarely built) which is primarily an artifact of Bailey calling it a non-resonant enclosure -- ie stuff it enuff and the line becomes aperiodic (close to total absorbtion of the back wave)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dr.EM said:
If you could re-draw it with the speakers on the front that would be fantastic!

Here you go...

dave

Attachments

• dual-morel-hu631-tl.gif
    dual-morel-hu631-tl.gif
    30.2 KB · Views: 597
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:
Cone movement disturbs air, similar to a fan. Placing something in it's path slows it down. Stuffing will not reduce by any measurable amount how fast sound travels, as previously thought.

Perhaps a bit of misunderstanding oof what each other was saying. I don't care about the speed of the air, just the speed of sound (which does not change appreciably.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
planet10 said:

Perhaps a bit of misunderstanding oof what each other was saying. I don't care about the speed of the air, just the speed of sound (which does not change appreciably.

dave

No problem. Sound needs a medium to travel through, in this case air. As the air is impeded by the stuffing, sound disperses. Simple sound deadening principle.
Dave, I an enjoying both this discussion and the other on materials properties, but I get the impression that you are getting annoyed. If you prefer that I keep my opinions to myself, let me know and I will move on and bug someone else;)

I have said a lot of things on this forum, and have been corrected on most of them. Still, I have not said anything that is incorrect.

Big thanks for that design planet10! I will be building this project according to it :) . Big thanks to every one who has posted in this thread too, given me a lot to take in :eek: :D . I have the drivers, veneer and stuffing on order now too, leaving me with the wood, some heatsinks and some tools to get (already got most the amplifier section components; nice 300VA toroid, 20,000uf per rail and 35A bridge for £22 or so :D ).

I will naturally be taking numerous photos along the way and will let you all know how it goes :)

Again, many thanks.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dr.EM said:
Just out of interest, how come the design is based on the Sd of a single driver? I guess they don't add together like I originally thought, it would be an enormous box if they did :eek:

Sd actually has nothing to do with the size of a TL, Vas does (just like every other speaker).

But because when Martin started working on his sheets Sd was considered important, he chose it as a variable unit of area. That is unfortunate because it keeps people thinking in terms of Sd.

(Those rare times that i have used the sheets I usually just set the Sd to a convienient SI unit like 10 cm^2 for instance.)

dave

Not a bad plan. Luckily, most of the latest sheets have moved away from the idea of using multiples of Sd as a data entry value.

BTW -just line the front of each internal wall with a light layer of damping. XO below 100Hz, you should with the usual ~6db of room gain below 100Hz have 91db sensitivity at 30Hz. Not too bad for these drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.