Plethora of Pinjatas / SET P amp(s)

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Initial report on big rig - it's like the musicians are right there in front of me! The soundstage is massive. Phenomenal.

One thing I need to work on... I can hear a little PSU hum in the compression drivers. It's the same CLC I had in my SissySIT, but add 9dB of amp gain. I may whip up a dual mono CLCRC or CRCRC setup to knock that down a little more.

ZM - your amps have been driving these for 4+ years. That won't change anytime soon!

Tony - here's the diagram before the amp swap. EQ was originally done with a "DEQXpert" in Colorado who hooked into my PC while on a call with me on the phone. We set up a measurement mic and he ran sweeps, set EQ details, timing/delay, etc. Now when I swap amps I simply go set the gain for each amp. I have a spreadsheet where I have all of the gain settings that I use to get them all level. There are 4 pre-sets where I go for "flat" and then a few with a little tweaks in sub, and sub+mid/bass levels.

Attachments

• JBL Hartsfield System - As Built Feb 2023.jpg
    JBL Hartsfield System - As Built Feb 2023.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Initial report on big rig - it's like the musicians are right there in front of me! The soundstage is massive. Phenomenal.

One thing I need to work on... I can hear a little PSU hum in the compression drivers. It's the same CLC I had in my SissySIT, but add 9dB of amp gain. I may whip up a dual mono CLCRC or CRCRC setup to knock that down a little more.

ZM - your amps have been driving these for 4+ years. That won't change anytime soon!

Tony - here's the diagram before the amp swap. EQ was originally done with a "DEQXpert" in Colorado who hooked into my PC while on a call with me on the phone. We set up a measurement mic and he ran sweeps, set EQ details, timing/delay, etc. Now when I swap amps I simply go set the gain for each amp. I have a spreadsheet where I have all of the gain settings that I use to get them all level. There are 4 pre-sets where I go for "flat" and then a few with a little tweaks in sub, and sub+mid/bass levels.

Nice.

Eons ago I bought one of them fancy equalizers with spectrum analyzer, mikes, etc... It turns out I didn't much care for a "flat" response. I ended up toning down the treble by more than 3db.

BTW, isn't your set up now sort of Nuklear Overkill when it comes to gain? I'd say you've gone past opening up a can of worms.. you just blew up the piñata!

At full blast, meaning 105db peaks... how many watts are the amps gonna be putting out? 3? 10?

Now, we need to talk about the direct drive in your table... ;-)

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Tony,

Amps are 20 db range. Nothing crazy. DEQX is low gain. Maybe 6 max? You might say the speakers are pretty efficient / sensitive, though.

There is one preset for “make this harsh treble mix stop my ears from bleeding”

Refer to Jim “6L6” regarding all things SP-10. He made me a believer

Joined 2010
Paid Member
RE: SP10.

Yeah, señor @6L6, he called my venerable turntable a design of the 70s... He was somewhat adamant about it. Table, Lingo, Trampolin II, Karousel, Ittok LVIII, new motor, new belt, well maintained... updated the table twice by now... Can you tweak an SP10? I mean, what are you gonna tweak on it... the internals of the motor? Do they make a Keel for the Technics?

Hmmm... I believe you and Jim are both products of the 70s too, huh? HUH?

Not to hijack the thread, but I remember when the SP10 was released. It's contemporary with the LP12 which, IMHO, as I told Jim, it is superior.

After all, even though the Airbuses are a newer design than most Boeings, I still prefer the later.

Hmm... I've only had three tables in my life... Kenwood, Dual and Linn. All three belt driven. None of that newflangled. "ever searching for the next motor cog" direct drive... :p

Direct drives to me have no heart. A DIY'er will always prefer the tweakiness of the LP12 and the like.. Nirvana is reached when the wires are so twisted.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
You know, you can change the plinth to some really nice woods... but, the chipboard sounds good. Pfft.

Besides, I got mine used... most everything, except for the Karousel were used.. and that one was a package deal...

I think I'm gonna paint my LP12 like a nice Plethora De Piñatas.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hmmm.... you know, we were visiting Romania (Bulgaria?) the day the Russkies rolled into Prague. We weren't quite sure if we were gonna get out. :yikes:

But being in a Spanish flagged/owned cruise ship, we all got back to the ship, had dinner, they let me have my usual Cinzano aperitif and good wine during dinner and afterwards the grown ups all had their coffee, brandy and cigarettes. They let us go that night. Off to Instanbul... the ladies in our group were happy, they were planning to do some serious shopping for jewelry there ( they DID ). The Grand Bazaar was fantastic.. the whole City then looked like an old Bogart movie with old American Cars.

I think I was not quite ten by then? Nice churches in town. We always visited the churches and cathedrals first. No real tourist shopping in Soviet Kontrolled Countries then.

So, I'm not so young, you know?

Besides, as I noted, I'm cheap too... I think I'm like $3400 into my turntable, not counting cartridges, since 1993 or so... Crazy eh? A STATE OF THE ART turntable. ;)

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ "and you didn't had to sell a house for such an amp"

All aside... that's for sure quite true... thanks. When I see the prices asked for commercial products I gulp.. even used prices can be nuts.

I'm happy with my "Plethora De Piñatas"

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user