Plethora of Pinjatas / SET P amp(s)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I might be wrong but is this a Steeplejack with a different FE?
So something like an upgraded Steepleguy...it is very diffent 4R load behaviour, so maybe its not so simple...
Anyway congrats once again, looks like another good one :)

this one is made before Scryer and Steeplejack

so, if anything, Steeplejack is crippled Plethora of Pinjatas :rofl:

Hello ZM,

For some time I am contemplating about replacing my aleph js with something different and lately the story of the electricity price getting higher also put me to think, my js draw 200w each and most of the time I don’t go over 1w.

Looking at all variations you did on xa252(different transistors in the os) and the PoP I noticed that even if it’s not having the highest power(the PoP runs at only 23v) it’s gets the lowest thd.
The mosfets in the os are cheap and easy to find so I was thinking to give a try to the os only and drive it directly with my balanced preamp(an iron pre with less than 50r output impedance per phase).

Is it possible to connect 2 output stages directly to the preamp, one to the - side and one to the + side?
I ask because I never seen something similar yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
quite possible, well ,yes, why not :clown:

open dedicated thread, so we can chat there and draw exact schematic

it'll be piece of cake; of course, you'll need to manage your own pcb for OS

though, if I find it easy enough (to edit existing ones) and time and energy, maybe I'll make it for you and then you'll need just to order them at your favorite pcb factory

Reactions: 1 user
Having the pcbs drawn by you would be magnificent but unfortunately I don’t use the standard mounting holes in the heatsinks, I think I have 15cm between the holes. I will try to draw them and eventually post in the in the right thread when time comes and if someone else doesn’t take it ahead of me :)
Searching for the attached photo here on the forum I found that I was talking since 2013 about wanting to try a similar approach(some kind of balanced power follower) but I was so lazy and my alephs sounded so good that I am still at the same point but now my new preamp makes my hands itchy again

Attachments

• BC50E7B4-368B-4CDB-A49C-B6142339A0F0.jpeg
    BC50E7B4-368B-4CDB-A49C-B6142339A0F0.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 136