PLease help designing my first sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Notice the lower group delay at 20Hz. It does spike higher below 20Hz, but I think this should be less noticeable, as it is located below audible limits:

Attachments

• atlas midq gd.gif
    atlas midq gd.gif
    72.3 KB · Views: 178
I ran some other simulations, based on the same box design, but with varied vent sizes.

It looks like both drivers model well, if not similar, in this box. The Atlas does have the advantage of availability, whereas Adire drivers have been scarce lately due to reorganization in the company. Yes, I like the Atlas, but I would play around with the vent length to find the best tuning. As long as you don't encounter vent turbulance or resonance, etc., I think a slightly longer pipe might work well for the Atlas.

The first graph shows the 4", 12" pipe. Looks pretty good, has a slightly more output a little lower than the longer pipe, but the group delay is higher. With the longer pipe, you lower the group delay above 20Hz, which may give you "tighter" bass response.

Just glancing at the RBH amp, but it looks like the signal to noise ratio is better with the Rhythmik (which is a modded partsexpress amp, BTW). The Rhythmik also has more power, but I have not used either so I can't sy definitively which is better. Maybe someone else has an opinion...

I run my sub with wire I bought at a local stereo shop. 12AWG, oxygen free copper, Liberty Cable (I think). I guess I never worried as much as some people about what I wire my sub with.

Let take a look at some models and get back to you on the vent length. Longer models better in terms of group delay (clean bass was one of your criteria), but we want to avoid chuffing in the pipe. The best way to find the ideal length might be to build the box, install the vent uncut and unglued, and run some test tones through it. If it chuffs, cut it down a bit and try again.

Hi, are you going for the 85 liters or the 142.5 liters design?

The 142.5 liters design is using one 4" diameter Precision Port with a full-length center tube. It's not 4" x 12", it's 4" x 17". 12" for the center tube and 3" for each flared end, but since it's flared in theory your 18" tube is now 17" long.

Usually you want to stay under 34 meter per second for the air speed to avoid port noise (10% speed of sound). Some people prefer 17 meter per second for very high quality sound (5% speed of sound).

I'll show you the frequency response curve, air speed and the power rating with the two subwoofers.

I recommend using Rythmik Audio amplifiers. If you go with the 250W version, there's a rumble filter at 12 Hz that will prevent air speed to go higher than 34 m/s when using full power. It will lower a little bit the output at 20 Hz by about 0.5 dB.

You could also use the 350W version if you want to. The airspeed will be slightly over 34 m/s at full power, but then it will be so loud that you won't probably hear noise hehehe!

Hi Raoul, can you show that to me? I'm always under 18 mm unless with 350W where I'm 0.2 mm over the limit. Then, if you take into account the built-in rumble filter, you'll always be under 18 mm.

To JiggaD369 : Looking at these graphs, you'll see that the Atlas is better at higher frequencies because the inductance is lower, but it's better to use a low crossover anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.