Playstation as CD-player

If you are going to use an AV cable I wouldn't recommend the original Sony one, it's just that great quality compared to most third party ones, and more expensive to boot, I had a random no brand one with gold plated plugs it was far superior to the real Sony AV cable. Remember any PS2 cable will work too and PS3 too I think, they all have the same AV plug on the back.

Hi all,

As I've noted in a previous msg I was not that satisfied with the total performance of my PS1 (destorted high freq).I dared make the linear power supply suggested by MickF (with minor modification).Just finished and I wanted you to know that now PS1 went to another league of performance.No destortion sillky highs ,deep bass ,wide soundstage.Like a torch is enlightening every hidden secret corner of music.

I was a having a look around the playstation motherboard today and how it corresponded to the DAC output schematic on Mick's page. In the signal path to the AV multiout just after the output cap, there are 2 resistors, at one branch it goes to the muting resistor. Now the 2 values of these resistors are 1k and 100ohm, what would happen to the output if I just removed and bridged these? would the volume increase? Would it be by much?

Also I was looking to add a thermistor on the neutral on of the powersupply to act as a antisurge, does the PS1 powersupply have much in the way of DC blocking/filter?
Are either of these 2 techniques useful in a SMPS powersupply?
Maybe I shouldn't be playing around with mains voltages since I'm only a newbie :clown: I haven't had any experience wiuth SMPS units before.

I just finished removing all the output caps and disabling the muting resistors, very happy with the improved definition and clarity of the sound. Is there any negatives to removing all the output coupling? aside of the lack of DC protection? (which the amp I am using has on it's inputs)

Thankyou for the info mikvous.

Van Hai. what you've proposed is beyond my understanding, but if it could increase the output level of the playstation I would most definitely be interested. :)

Ah I know the method of which you speak of now, are all DACs ok to parallel? It's suppose to increase dynamic range and lower the noise floor too right? The only problem I have with doing that is a lack of enough playstation 1. I hope the mod wouldn't remove what makes the PS1 so nice.

Here's a datasheet for the DAC, just if you're interested
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/54935/AKM/AK4309.html

Uncanny.

I finally got around adding the output transformers. The PSX now does this scary thing. Faye Wong sounds like she stands right besides me singing into my ear.

I have a major issue, though. There's no bass. It should be no problem. But I don't want to spend hours fixing and experiment when somebody here might have the answer. I don't think I have the stuff needed anyway.

I guess I should replace the coupling cap with a higher value cap and subsequently use a lower value grounded resistor. But, as said, I'll wait and hear what you guys here have to say.

Attachments

• output.gif
    output.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,002
Replaced the 0.1uF cap with a 2.2uF cap and the bass returned. But since I used a 750kOhm resistor, the 0.1uF cap shouldn't make a difference.

As for the uncanny presence, I'm not attributing it to the transformers. I wouldn't know. I haven't used the PSX for a while. When my tube amp was out of commission for a couple of months, I got very disappointed with my speakers. I felt they lacked bass. I was so depressed I considered buying a pair JBL 4560As. Then I got my tube amp back and the bass returned. A couple of months and I had completely forgotten how my speakers and tube amp sound like!!

I dont exactly understand what you need the transformer output for. DC is captured by your high-pass filter and the trafo has a 1:1 transmission. Hence, in the best case, it should not affect the sound. Do I understand you correctly that it sounds better with the trafo than without, i.e. with the filter only? In that case, the only conclusion can be that the trafo adds some coloration to the sound which you prefer over the unaltered output signal.

Cheers,
Mick

I would need to do an A-B comparison to know for sure what the changes are, if any. I have nothing to compare with.

I use cheapo metallized Solen caps this time, 2.2uF and 220k resistors. And, of course, transformers.

I don't know what does what. All I know is that I'm impressed. This is possibly the best bass I have heard in my system. And I don't even have my tube amp any more.

All Shindo preamps come with "CD muching" transformers. They reportedly remove the "digital hash" (whatever that is). The huge Western Electric 101C repeat coil is highly sought after as a CD trafo. Again, I don't know.

I like what I hear and will look out for more PSXs. I hope to add 600:600 trafos that can handle DC. They will need to be relatively big so I will then need to build a new cabinet for the PSX. Or I will get low-mu triodes and use output trafos. That's for the future.

You could scout some cheap 600:600 trafos on eBay and try yourself. I will not be able to answer since I'm happy as it is and will not disassemble the PSX.

These Haufe trafos should work: http://cgi.ebay.com/pair-transforme...ryZ67815QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi
Like Mike F, I too wonder what the 600/600 Trafo
in the circuit is doing. I have my ps1 going into
SN7s then out to amps via ABC (Australian Broadcasting)
sourced potted Trimax transformers. do I need more??
I supposed the 600/600 unit could be used to make a balanced line PS1, It would or could be interesting? Sowter, Jensen or Lundahl Trafo units might be part of the candy :)-)) Impressive
when you pop the lid !

On another PS1 issue I have been painting playstations and
find that the top body shells of the 9002s can be use on the
5502s but the parallel port will be partly covered. If using
lacquer I find a good clean with Meths followed by water gets
all the grease off and the lacquer takes well on the ABS plastic.

Also I wonder if the 9002 power supplies can be used on 5502 onward players? I found a cheap fibre optic light pipe at Jaycar that allows the led to illuminate the normal aperture next to the on/off switch and also create a glow in the disk compartment. With a blue Led it looks quite cool and you get two for one as it
were! They are called light transporters Jaycar cat#NO. HP1192 &
NO. HP1193 They cost AUD$8 for three of them. You can cut
them about so the light spill at the primary sight next to the
On/Off button gets enough light too!

Regards

AnthonyPT

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

First. I got the wrong transformers for the job. I need transformers that can handle DC. The idea, as mentioned in some earlier post, was to get rid of the coupling caps.

I cannot say what does what. I don't know if the transformers bring any other change than the impedance. Nor do I know what role the Solen caps or the 220k grounded resistors play.

I BELIEVE the transformers are the difference.

"There are a ton of misconceptions about tubes including the belief that they sound 'warm.' Tube circuits have about as many sounds as there are circuits. It is more about the topologies used and aims of the designer as to how a circuit will sound. In fact, it is usually the transformers that are typically used in tube-based products that create the illusion of 'warmth.' There is a lot of vintage solid-state gear that used transformers and is commonly described as 'warm.' A typical transformer adds some odd-order distortion at the lowest frequencies and tends to restrict the ultrasonic frequencies, which we subtly perceive because of the phase shift. Part of this effect also seems to smooth transients. Tubes probably tend to offset some of that effect, because a little THD tends to exaggerate transients."--Hutch Hutchison, designer at Manley Labs.

Regardless if it's related to the transformers or not, the difference I hear (or think I hear) are deeper bass and more natural or transparent sound. For bass I use the Herbie Hancock Dis Is Da Drum CD. Speakers are Altecs with 416 woofers.

I'm a vinyl junkie who barely tolerates digital. But this might just be the best I have ever heard on my sound system! Another "reference" album I use is the Ashes of Time soundtrack. It has very good ambiance. Even more now, I think. Ashes of Time

There might be a reason why Ken Shindo sells this: http://www.shindo-laboratory.co.jp/accessory/Arome-CD.html

Anthony, I believe all PSUs 500X and later are the same--5 pins.

Higher output level from PSX

There seems to be a great interest in changing the output stage of the psx in order to get a higher output level and a better drive capability.
In an earlier post I suggested to use JFETs in a buffer circuit which solves for the better drive capability only.
Now I would like to go one step further:
Instead of just using a JFET as source follower I would like to introduce kind a sziklai output stage (JFET and pnp bipolar) with a gain of 2 or 2.5. In order to supply the necessary operating voltage of 12V I intend to modify the power supply by adding kind a voltage doubler to the transformer output of the 8V rail. This will give me around 16 to 24V to feed a 12V linear regulator. All changes in the powersupply will be done to the secondary side only. The 12V linear regulator shall be placed in a "second floor" above the main pcb in order to keep the distance to the output stage short.
So the advantages of the follower stage (coupling cap needed for the output only as DACs DC level is used for biasing the JFET) can be preserved and additionally the higher voltage level will be added.
If there is some interest I`ll post pics and schematic as soon as I have started this project. Comments will be appreciated.

Regards, Jürgen

I read the AK4309B datasheet. It says the DAC chip has an output of 3.4Vp-p, or roughly 1.2Vrms.

I haven't had much interest in DACs until recently and never cared to figure out how the PSX output is designed. I just followed the mods by the numbers. But after having studied up some, we might have a problem. Figuring I have it right.

We take the signal directly from the AK4309B output. The outputs of the AK4309B (as all DAC chips?) are inverted.

My PSX is now singing in phase.

It's not that I think it makes any difference. I can't hear any, anyway. Maybe I could if I did an A-B comparison. The thing is, it has transformers ("passive I/Vs"), so why not make use of them? All it took was reversing the secondaries.

A quick hello from another Playstation 1002 owner in Cologne Germany
After reading the thread 9 months ago i purchased the Playstation and have been enjoyind CD Playback since.This is my first CD Player and it gets my feet tapping to the music just as much as my Pink Triangle Aniversary Turntable.Thanks for the tip guys