Playstation as CD-player

The CDM is probably worn. I find the PSX CDMs quite noisy in general. Hard suspension, I soon found out, is not really an option. I've been thinking of isolating the PSX.

I'm still waiting for my PSU cabinet. I'm used to the wait. Will try to solve the output transformer problems tomorrow.

My SCPH1002

Hi !
I'm from Germany and normally I just read and don't write.
But this topic is very interesting !
I built a nice SCPH1002 mod which i will show here.

At first the schematic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Because of the Low gain the Playstation has, i had to built a small Amplifier/Filter and because of my love for Tubes, I designed this circuit.
If your knowledge is fine, you realize that this is a ß-follower with extreme low distortion. the BC558 is a constat current source and is NOT handling any signal current. The XCC88 has very good curves which results in good linearity. And the XC86 has a high mutal conductance so the output resitance is not very high.
The cool thing is, it is DIRECTLY connected to the DAC with no stupid cap or something. I got the circuit to manage the 1,765V offset perfectly with the cathode resistor. I had to apply a little Feedback. It is "Voltage-controlled-Voltage-feedback" hope its called like this....In Germany it is.
Yeah..thats a short review. If you want to know more, ask !

I don't have any casing yet, this can take years with me !!!

This is ne whole system.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The linear PSU (I hate SMPSU's...)

Transistors and Diode on Heatsink

The pure Chip-Power. Also you see the wire directly soldered to the Output of the DAC

Here Again: (I know, not very clear/sharp...)

The PSU Plug. The small wires a Sense-wires. They manage to get always the right voltage and avoid voltage drop on the feed-line.

Work for the future :))))))))

Best regards, Simon from Bavaria

Nice.

I, too, have been thinking about toying with a tube output. But only if I can bypass the I/V. I haven't looked into it. I should, but I'm not that interested in digital stuff. I still struggle with everything else. Digital will have to wait. So my question is, is it possible to bypass the I/V.

SHCP-3000

I would like to ask whether this model is possible to be modded.
From googling, the 3000 seems to be a model which does not spot a S-Video output, but still retains it's RCA output jacks.

Now are the chips used the same? (I'm bidding on one, can't tell yet)

Been lurking and finally decided to post. :D

Anyone has any ideas on implementing the remote control (by removing the board of the controller and recasing it or redirect the subsequent buttons to resemble a remote control?)

Thanks!

Cheers from Sunny Singapore!
Yi Xiong

hey chong,
As I posted back in post#1131, I just got 2 Playstations, both of them japanese models, SCPH-1000 and SCPH-3000. When I opened both units, they actually have the same DAC and opamp. However, the only thing removed in the 3000 series was the S-video output, supposedly to cut cost. I'm playing the 3000 right now and didn't notice any audible difference with the 1000. Thus, I think its just fine to get the 3000 in case the 1000 is not readily available on you end. Both models have the audio and video rca outputs. Thanks

As follow up, anyone have any idea if its possible to use 2SK389/LSK389 as output buffers after the dac of the ps1, just one piece since this is a dual buffer? Thanks

slightly off topic, but I noticed my local 'GAME' store is offering part exchange on old consoles for the forthcoming release (December 8th) of the Nintendo Wii. This may mean that many store managers are confronted with aged PS1 being traded in, which to them are just junk. That's how I got mine for £10. While 'GAME' are a UK store chain, I'd guess similar stores and deals are offered around the world. Might be a good time to pickup a PS1 cheap ?

DISTORTED HIGHS

Hi all,

Newbie here with less than average knowledge of Enlglish lang and electronics.After reading the whole thread and got a pair of PS 1 (one SCPH 1002 and one 5502)from ebay i dicided to make the mods as per MIKF's instructions.What I noticed is that with both units I have a litle distorted high frequency especialy in female vocals.Is that common or I did something wrong?
I think I've read somewhere in this thread that there is a kind of high frequency roll off filter build in the unit which I understand it has been by passed with the mods.Has any one else experienced such resuls?Thanks in advance.

Michael

Michael, I assume you have checked this page: http://dogbreath.de/PS1/output/output.html

I just learned elsewhere on this forum that the problem is the line transformers. They can't handle the DC.

If I need big interstage-type trafos, I can just as well go all the way and add a tube output. I included a link to a possible tube output some pages back. At least it's worth looking into.

BUT, if I'm to go that route I want to get rid of whatever I/V is used in the PSX. The problem is that I never put any thought into this before and don't want to re-read this thread.

So my question is, does anyone know where the I/Vs are on the PSX? There's a schematic of the output on Mick's page above. But it doesn't say me anything.

Hi Mick !

I simply wanted a regulated PSU. It's usual to use a LM317 or something. But didn't have one these regulators, and wasn't keen on buying one. But I had (and have still) many of these TL431. These are nice devices ! It's programmable precision reference or simply a variable zener ! And i had maaaaany NPN-Darlingtons. Either have you..I bet ! And with a TL431 and a Darlington, you can form a nice discrete LM317 wich can handle even more power, depending on the transistor you use.

I took the big BD249. I have lots of them. Theyre very Powerful.

The typical application for a TL431 as Series Regulator can be found here on site 8

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/5774/MOTOROLA/TL431.html

Furthermore I made a pic, its easier and faster to see:

The base resistor hast to be found by experimentation or if you're proficient it can be found probably with the curves and some math.

the current through the base resistor has to be as large that the voltage doesn't break in when the output is loaded AND hast to be as small, that when not loaded, the current through the TL431 doesn't exceed and destroy the TL431 ! got it ?

The resistor value is depending on the input voltage before the regulation (thus your transformer etc..) AND the type of transistor. A big one like mine, the BD249 needs much current.

Well, the Output voltage is set by the potential-divider R1 and R2. In the modded Version I used of course a Trimmer/potentiometer and set the voltage to correct value. An equation is given in the sheet and picture, so you can calculate if you use resistors.

Now, I reconfigured it like that:

This only provides, that the wire's voltage drop is compensated. I know, thats veeeeeery low voltage, but at only 3,3V I wanted a very stable Voltage. But its absolutly not needed !!!

I have many TL431 from SMPSU's and many Trannis...so why buy LM317 ??? It works pefectly

Well, the sound............
Better than the RCA output, for sure. More dynamic.
It sounds definitly better than my Philips CD304. The Philips sounds a bit weak in contarst to the modded SCPH1002.
It has still the great and big bass like when its unmodded, but may be just a little harsh. This is because og no filter elements on the output ! As i said, i go directly of the IC !.

I will soon put some filter elements between DAC and Tube output, but definitly no blocking cap. It will somehow look like the one by Thorsten Lösch (Also known as Peter Pan or Kuey-Yang-Wang-WTF?!)

The Articlecan be found here:

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/xentar/1179/theory/vasfda/vasfda.html

And the DAC of the PS1 is timescaling DAC ! Look at the right circuit ! It's the last one !

Simon, very nice work you have shown there.

Hey, without your site, that would have been impossible ! I have to thank you for the information on your site. It's THE reference for PS1-Audio ! You can be proud of it :)

And of course you can use that what I wrote here on your site. I definitly permit if you want to copy.

Regards, Manta (writing from very cold Bavaria)

If anyone can assist...

Is there any REAL sonic difference between using the Playstation One's rca outs or using the "av multi out"?

I understand that the rca out go through an on board amp. The av out may be "cleaner". I've seen av adapters from $5-15. Is it worth switching over to the AV output?

Thanks.

If you're talking about a vanilla unmodified board, then a resounding yes. Once you'd modded the signal path and removed alot of components the difference is harder to pick.

Trying just sticking some wires in to make a "custom" RCA output like in Mick's excellent website.

Have any got any further with any other mods BTW?

Re: beware adaptors

jives11 said:
The commercial Sony Adaptor for the PSone which converts the video out to two RCA ( left & right) plus composite video is not a purely straight through device. It appears to add additional components to the audio circuit. However if you make up a video out as on Micks web site (http://www.dogbreath.de ) it will be just a piece of wire

Would this be considered straight out or adding components?

http://store.richspsxparts.com/plpsxpsoneps.html

I was trying to make a diy adapter, but was having some trouble with the wire spacing. As many DIY things that I've done...I don't know why I'm having such problems doing this.

Attachments

• dsc00972.jpg
    dsc00972.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,017
Re: Re: Re: beware adaptors

kec said:

This is what I'm using. You can buy them for about $7 at Wally World (Walmart).

-Ken

Thanks for the suggestion. The Walmart in my area didn't have any. (They went up to $10). Radio Shack carries a $5 one. But again, local store didn't have it. It could be ordered and would cost another $6 to ship...so about $11 total.

Fortunately, I stopped back at the game shop I got the used PS2 remote from and he said someone had just returned a Sony AV straight cable. They were upgrading to another system. It was around $8 total...so I took it. I'll try it when I get home. $13 invested so far...that's about my limit.

So did you notice a difference between the av cable and the rca outs? I have the PS 1001 model.

I have one of those AV cables that has no 'extra bits' inside, got it from my PS2..... just a straight adapter and I used it when A>B'ing my mods.

RCA to AV out..... no contest...
AV out to modified RCA out...no contest...closer...but no contest. Bypassing the whole output is far better...

I'm just finishing my integrated PS1 and T-amp with buffer.....only took me 6 months:rolleyes: Who said marriage was a good idea?

Laters
Lee