Playstation as CD-player

Good morning Gentlemen,
could you, please, be kind to help me, I am not lucky with my PlayStation:
Here are screenshots of what happens when I try to read a CD.
First a selection menu with two options: mediaS or card
Just after selecting medias: the CD stop turning and the screen is frozen on the reader navigation with the activated stop button...
Did you experience the same situation?
I thank you Really much
Have a nice week end
Musically yours, TYM

Attachments

• 686A6D6E-18BC-42A4-9061-0DA137BB94F9.jpeg
    686A6D6E-18BC-42A4-9061-0DA137BB94F9.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 505
  • D3C83F8F-121D-4719-B6CA-4B8FB762E748.jpeg
    D3C83F8F-121D-4719-B6CA-4B8FB762E748.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 503
  • E986CD8A-6D57-47D1-9297-52BD962DCBD9.jpeg
    E986CD8A-6D57-47D1-9297-52BD962DCBD9.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 491
Good morning Gentlemen,
could you, please, be kind to help me, I am not lucky with my PlayStation:
Here are screenshots of what happens when I try to read a CD.
First a selection menu with two options: mediaS or card
Just after selecting medias: the CD stop turning and the screen is frozen on the reader navigation with the activated stop button...
Did you experience the same situation?
I thank you Really much
Have a nice week end
Musically yours, TYM
Do you have media cards inserted Tym?
Can you remove them if you have? Also, do you have any after market chips installed? Other than that, I have no idea sorry.

Good luck. Here's a picture of mine. I used a matched pair of Russian 1uf poly caps in the output without any resistor to gnd. The PSU in the left hand case is a standard off the peg LT1083 dual output PSU and a 9-0-9v toroidal traffo.
The right hand box is the opamp replacement. running either 6H5C or 6080 valves depending on my mood. I intend to integrate the infra red at some point but (you know how it is) too many projects too little time

Thanks
Wow, thats fantastic. Love the tube integration.
Not sure the rest of my system will warrant such an intensively modded source.

I Have removed the 2 muting transistors and the 6 DC blocking caps and put in jumper wires to close the signal path following Mick's instructions but get a very distorted sound. He did state that if there any problems, replace jumper with 100uf bipolar caps. Going to raid my spares box and see if I have anything suitable. Got a single Elna Silmic 100uf left over from amp upgrade, wish I ordered more. I assume with the bipolar cap, the "-" is attached to the pad nearest the DAC chip? If this doesn't solve distortion, maybe laser knocked out of alignment or something.

Interested to hear more of the 1uf you have on output stage, do you have any photos of the inside please? I have a small range some Russian PIO caps left over, may be nice to use.

Note, that may affect the lack of DC blocking caps, I using a SMD resistor stepped pot passive pre so no correction circuitry in pre amp.

My 2 1002's both have different power supplies, the older one had Nichicon caps while other other has unbranded caps and 3 pin diodes.
Plan to replace the electrolytic caps with same values and maybe diodes but which one would be best to upgrade?

Attachments

• IMG_8463.jpg
    IMG_8463.jpg
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 523
Note, that may affect the lack of DC blocking caps, I using a SMD resistor stepped pot passive pre so no correction circuitry in pre amp.

My 2 1002's both have different power supplies, the older one had Nichicon caps while other other has unbranded caps and 3 pin diodes.
Plan to replace the electrolytic caps with same values and maybe diodes but which one would be best to upgrade?
Hi Cintronic. This is mine before I did away with the original PSU. I modded the original and couldn't hear much difference. The big difference came when I bought an off the peg dual linear PSU from ebay and used that. I had to remove the soft start caps to get it to work but it sounded ten times better then. You can see the Russian poly caps in the space were the PSU used to live.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Finally, I read all 306 pages, and the German sites.
Lots of info has been lost in the past, as well as avalibity of parts.
And yes, late to the party

I have one yet unmodded 1002, and 2 incoming as well as a test board. The latter has a weird problem, as the cd-audio is crackling.

If not solved, oh well, it can remain the platform for testing recasting.
Plan to run all mods, including PSU.

Glucklich kanna ich och noch Deutsch.
Wenn allies hier ist, kann es Los

Okay, so following up on post 3049, I purchased a model SCPH-1001 a few days ago. Hooked it up and I really enjoy the sound. Much better than the Oppo DVD player I had been using. with my CD's. Broke it down today to clean up and the previous owner had previously installed a mod chip on the bottom of the mother board. It is a 12c508a chip. I have no idea what it does (I'm not a gamer). My guess would be it makes the console play foreign games, but who knows.

Based on the pictures I've attached, do you all think I'm safe to just heat up my iron and yank this thing? Or perhaps I should just leave it in? What do you all think?

edit - sorry couldn't post the pics

too many posters here, to think that..
But, I also found someone to claim that his 7xxx playstation was the ultimate player, until another one mentioned that the audiophile ones are the oldest series..
If 2 or 3 people claim that Asus Tinker board is better sounding than a Raspberry Pi, others will follow for sure..

So I finally did some testing with 4 different sources. This was a non-scientific "A/B" type of test so take it with a grain of salt. I am not an audiophile but my room is good for listening as there are no flat walls or echo. I have lots of curtains too.

Source: Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD

1. PS1 SCPH-5501 with supplied Digital to RCA cable -> Denon DRA-800H -> GR Encore Bookshelf speakers. Excellent sound. Much higher quality than someone would expect from $60 equipment. Very crisp, nice punchy low end and crystal clear midrange. The highs are not too harsh. Overall very soothing to listen too. Extra points for being able to read the CD layer of the SACD. I thought it won't work. :)

2. Pioneer DV-160AV budget SACD / DVD player from late 2000s. Played SACD in both HDMI and stereo analog mode. I didn't like HDMI output much because I think the DAC in my Denon is not so great. It sounded too "muddy" and "boomy" due to lack of words. Almost like MP3 in low quality. I will try to listen to this again in my 5.1.4 home theater in surround mode to see if it can improve.

In analog, the SACD sounded very clear neck to neck to my PS1, which says a lot for the PS1 as it's ancient technology compared to Pioneer :)
I cannot tell which one is better.

3. Apple Music Lossless on my Android phone -> Fiio BTR5 DAC via LCAC protocol -> RCA out to the same Denon. The LDAC is supposed to be lossless so is Apple music. However this sounded the worst of all. I thought it would be the same as the others but it is noticeably meh.

4. Same as above but on USB-C connection instead of Bluetooth. A lot better but on the third place.

Again this is a very small sampling, but good to know that physical media still rules.

hello Gents.
after almost 4 years of good music my 1001 got a strange problem:
The sound is now the lowest and most distorted you can imagine.
I re checked and resoldered every things and wire throughout the board to no avail.
After a bunch of tries and a lot of curses
the sound came back loud and clear as before but for only 3 seconds.
I have no clue, maybe some mass contact somewhere?

Greetings! Tell me, there are two curling irons 1001 and 5502, both with the required chip, upgraded in the same way: direct output from the DAC to the RCA through K73-11 6.8 mF capacitors + 22 kΩ resistors. They sound awesome, but in 5502 there is very little bass and there is not enough "elasticity" of sound, fundamentality. Has anyone experimented with 5502 and what results did they get? How can you boost the bass?

Greetings! Tell me, there are two curling irons 1001 and 5502, both with the required chip, upgraded in the same way: direct output from the DAC to the RCA through K73-11 6.8 mF capacitors + 22 kΩ resistors. They sound awesome, but in 5502 there is very little bass and there is not enough "elasticity" of sound, fundamentality. Has anyone experimented with 5502 and what results did they get? How can you boost the bass?
Mine is a 5502. It sounds great but is more case work to fit RCAs. The laser is in a different (cooler) position so can be in a better condition. I use it through a valve buffer amp I built giving 1.4 gain. It sounds great.

Mine is a 5502. It sounds great but is more case work to fit RCAs. The laser is in a different (cooler) position so can be in a better condition. I use it through a valve buffer amp I built giving 1.4 gain. It sounds great.
I also like the 5502, but I have problems with the bass. there is very little of it... Tell me, what mods affect the bass?