Playstation as CD-player

Hi mate the voltages that you say sound like they will work to me i cant say 100% But im pretty sure that should work.Sorry i cant give you a definate answer on the trannie you have but in my experience the voltages are very close and should do the job. You say you use just pins 1, 2, 3 and 4. So pin 1 is 7.6v, 2 is gnd, 3 is the 3.6 and 4 is also gnd am i rite in saying that pin 4 is not needed as it is same as pin 2? cheers. Lee

Would it be beneficial to solder on a small non polarized capacitor in parallel to the sled motor? I've seen it done on remote controlled toy cars to stop the motor burning out and wondered if I could adapt this to the PS1, maybe it may reduce ripple across the PlayStation.

What do you guys think? Maybe this is already incorporated into the motherboard.

Hey scip, use a full wave rectifier on the output taps you have on the transformer and the voltage (ac) will be multiplied by 1.4, so the 3.5v rail will yield only 4.9v - to regulate it cleanly the input voltage needs to be roughly 2.5 volts bigger than the output voltage.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like that tranny has the volts.

Bernie

Thank you for the replies... after 10days waiting I got my second scph-1002 yesterday, I carefully did Mick's mod. I use Black gate 4.7uf 50v caps and 22k resistors, it sounds good. Then I keep it switched on one night to warm up the new parts. When I wake up today, it does not work as my former ps1, no laser beam, no up down movement. I am totally crashed. Only thing I do different is use some glue stick the security switch pressed.

My home actual voltage is 235v, before I buy and damage another one I have to know what's happened. Who can HELP????? Many thanks in advance.

3 close images attached.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

BBQ ps1

I got 8pcs 400v/5600uf capacitors from 2 Mitsubishi elevators, I use one on PSU. First test it works fine, second time when I pluging the main power, the transformer catch a fire. all 4 Ba159 damaged.

I mod psu use 2x 1uf/250v wima, 4xba159. Nichicon 400v/5600uf, 3.15a fuse.

Is there something wrong? Who can tell me if I can use these big caps. had originally intended to bypass 4or8caps.....

Thank you,
Ash

BTW, I fix former bad pcb by change some new smd fuse.

Hi all!

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I didn`t have the time to go through all pages in this thread.

I picked up a SCPH-1000 earlier this week. The main drive/lens unit seems to work fine, discs boot up fine and have no trouble loading. But there`s a rather strange problem....

When the system originally boots up, I get a strange oscillating noise in the background that slowly increases until it`s louder than the CD that`s playing. However, this is only for CDs. If I put a game on, I just get a kind of whining noise in the background.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or whether it sounds like it`s something worth trying to fix? This model is rare as hen`s teeth here in Japan, and usually at least 50 bucks. I`d hate to throw it out.

I just acquired a SCPH-1001 but it sounds like the CD is not spinning at all. If I turn the mechanism if feels like bearings are really pitted.

Anyone got any ideas what to do? Do people ever need units for parts?

There is information about this somewhere in the thread (god knows where, though). See if you can find a working player somewhere, any model will do. The transports from any of the other models will work fine, it's just a straight swap in. Even the transport from the white PSOne will work. You will have to cut the opening in the top cover a bit larger in one spot to make it fit, if you try this you'll see what I mean.

Question: Do you guys think a 22uf Blackgate NX Non Polar cap would be good for output coupling in this situation? If so would 22k still be the best resister value?

Thanks as always!!

I thought this BG bridged with a small silver Mica ist the best DC-blocking.
But for that solution it is essential to have a high tension from 2 V before.
In Playstation you have it not, only the halve. Than a small MKP seems better. Or maybe you build a discrete amp before to get it. But before you spends such operate take rather directly a better CD player to modify.
Beware for that toxic bombs from russia called PIO.

DC-blocking is a endless diskussion and many people believe in Snake Oil :confused:

Laser Quest

I think I hve a problem with the laser in my 5552 modded PS1. The disc spins, makes a few creaking noises and then continues to spin, instead of stopping. Unless it stops you cannot get the play, stop buttons etc to work.

I have checked the laser as on MickF's site and it has the right mA going through it. Any ideas anyone?

reply to Laser Quest

I have found that I am suffering from much the same problem with my Playstation.I have found though that the laser tends to always read one CD burn well and it could be a burn issue because maybe it does not have a problem with commercial cd's.Anyway I have found that cleaning the laser again with a cotton bud and pure isopropyl alchohol makes the laser read the disc.It just means I clean the laser more often at the moment.It could be just age and the unit might need replacement though.I am interested to hear other opinions on this as well.