Planning to build a 1000w bass horn in the summer!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
phase_accurate said:

This should be enough for a guesstimation of what it is capable of doing. EV recommended to use at least three of them stacked. You can see that the length of the horn is 2m approx. There was also a "brother" of this one available called the "Jumbo Bass Box" which used 2x12" instead of one 15" driver.
If you want the complete plans e-mail me since I am hesitant to put these here.

I used to have two of these and I was quite content with their performance.

The buildingplans are also aviable thru EVs homepage.
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders Plans/

But how was the soundquality in these w-bins?

phase_accurate said:

But with today's drivers and amps you are indeed better off using reflex cabs or bandpass.

I kinda got these bins already, some small rebuilds on mine will make them the same.

I dont intend to hijack the thread but if you miced up a drumset would they sound like a real kickdrum or would they be more compressed in the sound?

//Best regards, Electroaudio

The ones that I had sounded nice but they were used for disco and not live music. But I've heard systems using the original EV ones quite a few times with live rock and rock-jazz (Billy Cobham)and I was never disappointed.
You have to be aware that they shouldn't be used higher than 200 Hz approx and then a decent low-mid should take over (the kick consists of more than just the area between 60 Hz and 120 Hz).

When I say that I would prefer reflex nowadays - I am talking about things like handling, transport, price and low-frequency extension.

Regards

Charles

phase_accurate said:
The ones that I had sounded nice but they were used for disco and not live music. But I've heard systems using the original EV ones quite a few times with live rock and rock-jazz (Billy Cobham)and I was never disappointed.
You have to be aware that they shouldn't be used higher than 200 Hz approx and then a decent low-mid should take over (the kick consists of more than just the area between 60 Hz and 120 Hz).

When I say that I would prefer reflex nowadays - I am talking about things like handling, transport, price and low-frequency extension.

The problem with mine is that they are too fast, so i suspect the frontchamber will do the trick for me there...

--------
But weight/size is approx the same as for bassreflex, except that it uses less speakers and less power to make the same output and the weight/price is usually in the top speakers anyway.
-I am used to carry things like Apogee 3X3 121,5kg , EAW850 108kg and JBL HLA approx 100kg around so that isnt any problem. :D

But the backbeakers is usually not the speakers but everything around; like steels, truss, motors, Multicores, micstandcases, ampeg bassguitar amp(!).
Also, Most of the popular mixingdesks is a lot heavier than basshorns like midas XL3, even digital desks like yamaha PM5D are heavier.

phase_accurate said:
What do you mean by too fast ? There are no too fast speakers out there IMO.

By too fast i mean that they seems to be able to reproduce a halfwave like a synthetic kickdrum with full power and then be dead silent, not like bassreflex and other constructions that will sing by itself for a while afterwards.
Sometimes on these fast transients, the ears doesnt catch the transient before its gone (Like a pulled signalcable) the clothes are moving and afterwards everything in the room is left vibrating , but the bass wasnt heard as anything stronger than a whisper in the wind.
-while the neighbours will have a hell of a bass behind their walls...

-----
Just a little bit slower, just enough to make that cablepull audible would be perfect.

phase_accurate said:
Ahh, now I know what you are talking of. This doesn't have anything to do with the speed of the speaker it is something else and it has something to do with you probably using only one of these per side. Is my guess about using only one of these per side right ?

Yes, almost right. i have only one connected at the moment. ;)
-I am just doing some tests on the system after a sucessful midhorn rebuild.
(The old driver didnt behave in this way when the frontcloth was on, it did when it was off but not as much as it does now)

Does 4025 also behave like this in single configurations?

----
(This system is mainly intended for short distances like 10-15meters on a small stage with one or two per side and a usable frequency between 60-250Hz)

phase_accurate said:

The sound that you described is simply the one of a system not going low enough. The initial kick of a drum is higher in the frequency spectrum than the following "boom" (i.e. decay).

Try a stack of those horns and see if things have improved.

I am at work right now, so cant try it.

But that answer doesnt feel right because it can reproduce a recorded analog drum without any problem. but when i pull a cable it will just blow a lot of air which is a big energywaste since i need a 3db gain to keep up with the improved middriver without buying new amps.

My guess is more in the direction on impedance mismatch between the surrounding air and the driver, which also would be solved by stacking ofcourse...
-Eh, that would be called no hornloading at lo freq, yes... We partially agree, but i suspect the load is too low at the whole range for that driver. :bawling:

Anyway, if TL4025 behaves the same way then they arent interesting, especielly since hornresp doesnt show any major difference between these two horns either. :headbash:

-Maybe i should try jbl2226 in a shallow waveguide or four 8inchers in a tractrixhorn or some other quite different solution. :scratch:

Anyway, thanks and take care.
//Best regards, electroaudio

phase_accurate said:

I don't understand what you want to tell us here :confused:

But anyway, you would need three 4025 per side in order to have decent low-end extension.

Well, have to explain from the beginning...
I have rebuilt the midsection (250-2000Hz) to improve soundquality, then as a bonus i got a 4dB of sensitivityraise.

I have two ampracks that both has equally big amps for low and mid drivers (One is 200w lo 200w mid and 70w hi, the other is 600w lo 600w mid and 300w hi) the small one is intended for one per side arrangement in disco situations, the other for two per side arrangements in live situations.

So, i noticed that this raise means that i have 3dB extra in the mid to use making the mid-hi section more powerful than the basssection.
Then one of my djsetups has a offsetvoltage on the signaloutput so when i pulled the signalcable out of the active crossover it was a silent bang in the room, i couldnt hear the actual bang but i could fell it and i could hear everything in the room vibrate afterwards.

So to save some money i would like to transform that energy into sound...
-Have to go.... work!

While step-response measurements are quite cool for testing specific properties like ringing, phase-accuracy etc - it is definitely unsuitable for the measurement of energy conversion.
So do your judgement with music and not your unintended "step-response" testing !
Furthermore you don't know the exact spectral and temporal properties of the signal that you arbitrarily generated with the DC offset.

The system that I used for disco 20 years ago had 2* 500 Watts on the four bass-horns and 2*300 on the low-mids, i.e. definitely not the same amount of power for bass and low-mid in order to get a balanced sound.

In order to keep SPL high and IMD low you should keep signals that your bass-horns can't produce away from the input of the woofer-amp channel by the use of an appropriate subsonic filter -they would otherwise just eat up power and excursion.

Regards

Charles

phase_accurate said:
While step-response measurements are quite cool for testing specific properties like ringing, phase-accuracy etc - it is definitely unsuitable for the measurement of energy conversion.
So do your judgement with music and not your unintended "step-response" testing !
Furthermore you don't know the exact spectral and temporal properties of the signal that you arbitrarily generated with the DC offset.

The system that I used for disco 20 years ago had 2* 500 Watts on the four bass-horns and 2*300 on the low-mids, i.e. definitely not the same amount of power for bass and low-mid in order to get a balanced sound.

In order to keep SPL high and IMD low you should keep signals that your bass-horns can't produce away from the input of the woofer-amp channel by the use of an appropriate subsonic filter -they would otherwise just eat up power and excursion.

I do most of my tests with sounds; noisesweeps, sinussweeps, different music, and testsounds.

But there are a dog buried in these bassbins because hornresp says sensitivity is 108dB while the mid has a new sensitivity of 105dB, not that hornresp is correct all the time, but still...
Hopefully, there are a possibility to gain a few hidden dBs there.
-BTW, I can do a dirty trick and convert that silent stepresponse into a rocknroll type of resonance. :cool:

I also did a bottom freqtest yesterday, i usually dont care about that and it was flat down to 40Hz then it falls off rapidly.(They are bigger than 4025)
Both amp and crossover has HPfilters (and the stepresponse originates from the crossovers HP filter, Capacitor discharge)

----
Anyway, it is not too much to care about if i have to raise the bassamp 4dB and live with a lower headroom.
I dont need full power right now anyway.
-Its just that it is more beutiful to have the same level on all amps to make a flat response.

Anyway, thanks and take care.
//Best regards, electroaudio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.