Planet 10 FF125wk dFonken125T 0v8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I made them according to plan I think. Dave did I screw this up. Chris ????

Damn, 2nd time i have missed that (Chris left the cut out off our 1st MK12T build -- required a complete reveneer to fix)... sorry Jon, i should have caught it while they were still raw.

Thanx for catching that Bernie.

It is the exact placement of this cut that is not critical, not that it can be left off. I will need to reword that note to make it less ambiguos (and fix the spelling of "drawn").

attachment.php

This cut reduces the diffraction signature, making the shape of the sides of the boxes more closer resemble the profile of a teardrop. Possibly not all that noticable with stock drivers, and not near as important as the big champher on the front.

It is also quite important aesthetically, when we 1st had Bernies vrs ours i couldn't figure out why ours didn't look quite right -- so it is easy to miss.

dave

Attachments

• doubleChampher-onTs.png
    doubleChampher-onTs.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 606
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... After reading Doug's post I checked the plans that I have from Dave and two of them had no notes, one of them being the first pair built the Mar-Ken12t....

Can you post a picture with your speakers with a reference to size to another speaker? I haven't seen the plans yet, has Dave given more then one design( trapezoid, wide trap, tall trap)? If so which did you build?

Chris & Bernie usually get plans long before even released to betas.

Only a few people have seen all 3 width variations.

dave

I am leaving them as is

I am very happy with the current sound and with a little more break in, I would assume they will get better. I will side by side compare them to the Frugals later this week but with the understanding that they are located in a natural back load horn that increases their low end... the wall is a curved ceiling too. The subs are NOT on and I have just been using them with an iPhone and Virtue 1.2 to get them broken in.. still sound great...

Attachments

• photo copy 2.JPG
    photo copy 2.JPG
    462.7 KB · Views: 237
  • photo copy 3.JPG
    photo copy 3.JPG
    575.5 KB · Views: 233
  • photo copy.JPG
    photo copy.JPG
    638.1 KB · Views: 236
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    519.1 KB · Views: 122
yes- the use of Lossless file is clearly one of those assumptions that shouldn't be made - MP3 files out of the headphone jack are something to which you want to limit exposure :h_ache:

I experienced exactly that a couple weeks ago when setting up a new pair of speakers for a work buddy

I only roll with straight AIFF uncompressed or if needed Lossless. I will be interested to try a pure music software with a usb out to a Musical Fidelity VDAC2 or the new Wyred for Sound UDAC. Thougths anyone...

The thing is that the SQ of consumer level products has gotten so good that there is no reason to by audiophile grade equipment. The advent of HD has produces any number of 24/192 dacs that put the K$ audio dacs to shame.

Bob

indeed - lucky that many of us old farts who can appreciate the outrageous value for money represented by mainstream consumer gear compared to the early days of "perfect sound forever" (remember those first Sony and Philips machines?) can still hear the difference

As we all have high jacked this thread, its mine so we can.. ha.. I still love my old Sony PCM machine that I used with my Sony DTS 60 ES Dat and Portable Dat 8 walkman. But it is true, we have much to gain by looking at the less expensive DAC machines and if Neil Young and Steve Jobs ever get the higher bit recordings flowing.. how cool would that be.... Just imagine. But at what point would there be NO JND? Just Noticeable Difference ...psychology term for what you would need to know the difference 50 percent of the time..

Thread HighJacked for the better.... JON

As we all have high jacked this thread, its mine so we can.. ha.. I still love my old Sony PCM machine that I used with my Sony DTS 60 ES Dat and Portable Dat 8 walkman. But it is true, we have much to gain by looking at the less expensive DAC machines and if Neil Young and Steve Jobs * ever get the higher bit recordings flowing.. how cool would that be.... Just imagine. But at what point would there be NO JND? Just Noticeable Difference ...psychology term for what you would need to know the difference 50 percent of the time..

Thread HighJacked for the better.... JON

*that's going to a bit of a toughie now, but presumably he left a long term strategic plan for Tim and successors to follow - certainly if Tom Holman is still involved, we can look forward to some good things

now let's get back to the Fonken basics (still not tired of that yet)

Ok, thread back on track.. I have positioned the speakers on stands that mimic the center speaker height equal to that of the frugals i have in my room. I am still letting them break in some and have now hooked them up to a Deware tube amp. I like the tube better than the Virtue 1.2 at this point. I will continue to update those not he comparisons between the frugals and fonkens as the weeks go on. So far so good. For 150 dollars, you could not find a better bookshelf speaker, none....

Jon

Ok, thread back on track.. I have positioned the speakers on stands that mimic the center speaker height equal to that of the frugals i have in my room. I am still letting them break in some and have now hooked them up to a Deware tube amp. I like the tube better than the Virtue 1.2 at this point. I will continue to update those not he comparisons between the frugals and fonkens as the weeks go on. So far so good. For 150 dollars, you could not find a better bookshelf speaker, none....

Jon

Jon, which Decware amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.